Kiss Me, I'm NOT Irish

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Hooray for a fun holiday! I love the collage of green I’m seeing everywhere today.

Are you wearing green today?

You bet your booty I am! :D

Sportin' the Green

Kiss Me! I'm Not Irish!

When I saw this t-shirt a couple years ago, I scooped it up immediately.

Are you Irish?

I’ve always felt a little left out on St. Patrick’s Day since I’m not even the tiniest bit Irish, so this t-shirt makes me feel better about my German and Swedish heritage (at least I think that’s what I am).

I thought about trying to make something green for breakfast, but that idea went out the window pretty quickly when I remembered the recipe I saw in Oxygen magazine yesterday for chocolate protein pancakes.

Chocolate for breakfast? Yes, please.

I only needed three ingredients to make the ‘cakes.

Cottage Cheese + Egg Whites + Chocolate Protein Powder

I blended 1/8 c. cottage cheese, 2 egg whites and a scoop and a half of All the Whey chocolate peanut butter cup protein powder with my immersion blender until I had a smooth batter.

After cooking the pancakes on the griddle (two minutes per side), I was ready to diiiig in.

Cookin' 'Cakes

Aaaalmost Done

Ready!

I topped my pancakes with sliced strawberries and syrup and enjoyed them with a hot mug of tea.

Chocolate Protein Pancakes with Strawberries and Syrup

St. Patty's Day Breakfast

The pancakes were absolutely delicious!

I think they would also be yummy dipped in Greek yogurt. Somethin’ to think about for the future…

Workout

Today’s workout was a goodie! I took a BodyPump class and followed it up with 25 minutes of light cardio on the elliptical.

Great way to start St. Patty’s Day!

Hope the luck of the Irish is with you today! :D

Comments

I’m like 110% Irish, if that’s even possible. Although I don’t look it at all. I’m wearing green shoes and an orange shirt so its like i’m wearing the flag, haha.

I am definitely wearing green today, but I wish I had a shirt like that! I’m pretty much 0% Irish as well.

Your pancakes look awesome, I honestly would have never thought a recipe like that would work. I’m looking forward to trying it.

3. wnk505 says

I’m german and greek … but I love my greek food so its ok.

I have a question about protein. How often do you take it? Do you see results? what do you take it for?

Your breakfast looks amazing

• peanutbutterfingers says

i try to incorporate protein into every meal. as for protein powder, i don’t have a set regimen for consuming protein powder, but i just eat it when i want to! i don’t think protein powder is the key to results, but feel that a combination of nutritious eating + exercise is the golden ticket. :) i hope this helps!

I am going to try your pancake recipe. I have vanilla protein powder, but I need to get some chocolate. I had no idea that they had chocolate peanut butter cup! With the cottage cheese being high protein and the powder, your pancakes must have been packed with protein. Sounds like a good meal before I go for a run.

5. Lisa says

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! That shirt is too much. I’m half Irish and look it. I’ve got the green eyes, very fair skin (I turn into a lobster in Florida weather) and had a face full of freckles when I was younger (they have faded a bit over the years). My cousin was blessed with the wild red hair in the family.
    The red velvet cupcake looked amazing. Have Ryan post about what he thought of it.

6. sophie says

Hi :) I am new to your blog (and I love it already!)
    I cannot have dairy and was wondering if you knew or if you every tried making these without the cottage cheese? Any ideas on substitutes? Also, you say 1.5 scoops of the protein powder? Do you know how many grams that is?
    Thanks so much!

I FINALLY got to make a version of this!

I made mine with banana protein powder, egg whites, a splash of vanilla soy milk, and 2 tbls of sour cream instead of cottage cheese. Also a pinch of cinnamon. They came out great!!

Going to be a new staple weekend meal for sure!

8. Dom says

Hey Julie!

Do the pancakes come out dry at all? I’ve read on bodybuilding.com that one should “never-NEVER-bake or panfry a batter that is more than ¼ whey. This is because, naturally, whey has a tendency to go dry, rubbery, and “cardboard-up” ?

Thanks!