Red Velvet Cake Brownies

Last night I made the most amazing red velvet cake brownies.

When I posted a picture of the batter, several of you commented that you were drooling and wanted the recipe! Well, wipe up that drool and bust out your baking pans, because here it is! :D

The recipe calls for six simple ingredients:

• 1 egg
  • 3/4 c. melted butter
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 box red velvet cake mix
  • 1 c. chocolate chips (optional)
  • cream cheese frosting

I <3 Batter

Mix the first three ingredients before stirring in the red velvet cake mix and folding in the chocolate chips.

Don't Forget to Lick the Bowl

Pour the batter into a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.

A-waitin' the Bakin'

Bake at 325 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes. Stick a knife in the middle of the brownies to test for doneness. If the knife comes back without any brownie residue, you’ve got yourself some ready-to-eat brownies.

Frost Me, Baby!

Now comes the hard part:

Allow the brownies to cool before frosting them with the cream cheese frosting.

Red Velvet Cake Brownies

Platter of Brownies

These brownies were really easy to make and received rave reviews from everyone at work.

My Brownie

Yum!

Making brownies from a box mix has saved me numerous times when I’ve needed to bring a homemade dessert to a party or event. This recipe was a neat twist on brownies made from a box mix, I’ll be keepin’ it on hand for the future.

Yum!

Comments

1. Jenny Velasquez says

OH YUM!!! Red Velvet cake is my fav. so I will definitely be making these…maybe Sunday for the Dexter premier and call them blood brownies ;)

Thanks for that. We’re having a big potluck party next month, kind of for Xmas I guess and I’ve been trying to find something special to take.. found some awesome ideas at this potluck recipe site. You know, someone should invent a website where you can write what you’ll be taking, and it would make sure no one is bringing the same thing!

3. Becky Rosen says

Someone told me you can do brownies from almost any boxed cakemix. I was just thinking that carrot cake brownies sound really good as well as german chocholate! Think I will give them a try!

I tried this but they turned out more cake like….and crumbly….very tastey but not sure where i went wrong since i followed the recipe to a T.
    They were not the texture of a brownie…
    Any suggesstions?

• Britney says

That’s what happened to me too. They were yummy, but they turned out very cake-like rather than the more chewy consistency of a brownie.

5. Kaitlyn says

just made these to take to the office for a co-worker’s birthday!

they could not have been easier! perfect for a quick, go-to, weeknight baking sesh.

and who doesn’t love red velvet!?

thanks for sharing!!!

6. Rachele says

YUMMY! within the past few months I found your blog and am utterly OBSESSED! I love logging on each day and seeing what’s going to be posted for the day. Anyway-I finally got around to having a reason to make these….and let me tell you, they were a HIT! THanks!