I’m not quite sure why I’ve never attempted to make my own, but tonight seemed like a good night to give it a go.
*Fantastic Recipe Alert!*
I followed a Health.com recipe for shrimp and zucchini barley risotto that I printed off a while ago but never got around to making.
That seems to happen to me a lot. I always flag recipes and forget about ‘em a day later!
Tonight I was committed to making the risotto and purchased all the necessary ingredients at the grocery store with Ryan after work.
I was immediately intrigued by this particular risotto recipe because it called for barley rather than rice. I have never been much of a rice girl but I adore the nuttiness of barley.
The risotto came together pretty quickly and smelled heavenly.
Once it was ready, I served the risotto in a bowl on a bed of steamed broccoli.
Both Ryan and I gave this recipe two enthusiastic thumbs up.
I actually omitted the butter from the recipe and it still turned out savory, creamy and rich.
I will definitely be making this one again!
Dessert was oh-so-simple.
I enjoyed a coconut square, dipped in dark chocolate that Ryan brought back for me from his hiking trip.
It was sweet, sticky and the perfect conclusion to a yummy dinner.
Now we’re off to go pick up our save the dates from the printer! I can’t wait to see ‘em!
Shrimp and Zucchini Barley Risotto
Ingredients (Makes four 1-cup servings)
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup lightly pearled barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add barley; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and salt. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes). Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese, butter, and pepper.
Nutritional Information: Calories 387, Fat 9g, Protein 26g, Carbs 52g, Fiber 10g, Cholesterol 97mg, Iron 3mg, Sodium 653mg, Calcium 200mg
Click here for seven healthy risotto recipes from Health.com, including the recipe detailed above.