Real Simple Way to Frost a Cake

Let’s breeze through dinner and get straight to dessert, shall we?

Ryan had to work late tonight and I was in the mood for a quick and easy dinner.

I made myself a chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread with roasted red pepper hummus.

Chicken + Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Sandwich

On the side I had a big bowl of roasted broccoli and cauliflower that I tossed in olive oil and garlic salt before baking at 415 degrees for 20 minutes.

Broc + Cauli

All Together Now

Roasting is my favorite way to prepare veggies. I think it really brings out the best flavor.

Frosting a Cake, The Simple Way

A week or so ago I read one heck of a neat tip in Real Simple magazine.

The tip was so simple, but so brilliant.

To frost a cake smoothly, and avoid getting crumbs in the frosting, allow the cake to cool and spread a light layer of frosting over one round cake. Place the other round cake on top and lightly frost. Then, stick the entire cake in the freezer for 15 minutes before adding another layer of frosting.

The result:

Smooth

Smooth frosting!

So Simple

Sliced Cake

Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting

Naturally I had a small slice for dessert.

Foodie Friday

A couple of my coworkers and I are starting a new Foodie Friday tradition around the office.

Every Friday one person will make a special dish for everyone to enjoy.

I signed up for the first week and have a couple different ideas and would love for your opinion as to which recipe I should make!

Option Number One:

French Toast Casserole

Paula Deen’s French Toast Casserole with Praline Topping

Option Number Two:

Red Hat Cake

Red Hat Cake

Option Number Three:

Jessica's Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles

Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles

Option Number Four:

Oreo Cheesecake Bars

Oreo Cheesecake Bars

Which one should I make???

If you have any other yummy suggestions, feel free to comment and let me know! Links are welcome. 😀

Comments

What a great idea! I vote for the cheesecake balls! I think people will be more inclined to grab a little ball then to cut out a piece of casserole. 😉

2. briana says

One of my coworkers made that french toast casserole it is awesome and got rave reviews but I’d pick pb truffles of course

3. Jae says

Um oreo cheesecake bars forsuree 🙂
    As good as the other ones sound, the oreos just seem SOO amazing… of course that’s coming from a cookies n cream ice cream fanatic as myself 🙂

4. Janneke says

Besides the fact that they all look crazy delicious , I’d go for the red hat cake. It looks light and summery, perfect for this weather!
    Off to get a huge bowl of ice cream after all those delicious pictures 😉

You should so make oreo cheesecake bars! Sometimes I wish I worked in an office where I had co-workers that I could bake for. I ask my husband to give me a reason to bake all the time! 🙂

I would go with the peanutbutterpretzel truffles. Chocolate and peanutbutter is a great combo as is salty and sweet. Win Win! They actually all look AWESOME!

I’ve been meaning to make that Paula Dean baked french toast but I haven’t had enough people around for breakfast or brunch to make it yet. She’s my go-to when I need something decadent. Her desserts and sweet stuff are the best when indulging.

oreo bars!!!! they look amazing 🙂 🙂

hahaha i seriously had the biggest bowl of roasted brox and b sprouts tonight too! it was the size of my face and did not dissapoint. i used to be a micro steamer until i discovered my trust speed bake button on the stove

The peanutbutter truffles win-by a long shot. Anything with peanut butter wins. 🙂

(PS- that’s such a thoughtful idea that you and your co-worker had!)

• peanutbutterfingers says

haha – mama, i think i’m still logged into my blog on your computer… ya may wanna log out! 🙂 oh & i think the red hat cake looks good, too!

french toast casserole! although all seems amazing, specially peanut butter truffles, this looks like it takes a bit more effort, so maybe you’re coworkers will enjoy it more 🙂

10. Gigi says

I say the truffles! But then again I am a peanut butter fanatic! 😉 So I say its between thw PB truffles or the oreo bars! Yum! (I swear every time I read this blog I end up in the kitchen whipping up a new dessert! 🙂 1st it was flourless PB cookies, then the muffins, and now the oreo bars! 🙂 Ur amazing thanks dear!)

11. Kim says

Ummm..yeah. All of those choices look pretty much Ah-mazing! Excuse me while I wipe the drool 🙂 The peanut butter truffle would be my vote!

They all look so good!! You have some very lucky co-workers! I’m thinking the Oreo cheesecake bars, closely followed by the red hat cake. Can’t wait to hear how it turns out!

13. Minda says

Gluten free/lactose free makes dessert time less fun 🙁 BUT, I’d say go with the OREO bars, my mouth is watering as we speak.

Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles!!! I have been dying to make those ever since I first saw them on Jessica’s blog…and your cake looks incredible!

15. Annie S. says

OMG I’ve made Paula Dean’s French Toast Cassarole before and it’s AMAZING! My vote will have to go for that one 🙂

16. pamplemousse21 says

As much as I love the idea of French Toast Casserole, those oreo cheesecake slices just look divine! I bet they’d be delicious on a hot day as well, straight from the fridge. YUM!