Looks Like the 4th of July

Judging by my breakfast, it looks like the 4th of July came a bit early!

Red, White, Blue

“It makes me want a hot dog reeeeal bad!” ;)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmIHUDkYBI]

(Love that movie.)

Today’s red, white and blue concoction was quite patriotic and tasted great to boot! Definitely a winner in my book.

Patriotic Parfait

My patriotic parfait was inspired by Angela. I created this breakfast treat by layering strawberry banana “soft serve“, Oikos vanilla Greek yogurt and a handful of blueberries several times until my fancy-dancy wine glass was filled to the brim.

Summer Treat

I created the “soft serve” by blending a frozen banana (broken into chunks) with a handful of frozen strawberries and a bit of cold water to get everything to move around a bit.

I would highly recommend doing this in a food processor if you have one. That was my original plan (see photo below), but when I plugged in my Cuisinart food processor, it decided to be moody and didn’t work. :( I’ve probably used this food processor less than 10 times, so I was pretty bummed that it already wasn’t working.

The Original Plan...

Fortunately my blender did the trick (I use an old Krups blender that I love), but I had to add a bit of water and it took a bit longer to get the soft serve smooth and creamy than it would have had I used a food processor.

Even without the food processor, this breakfast turned out quite tasty.

Sadie clearly agreed.

"Why Do I Always Get the Scraps?"

Another Sadie Picture for Good Measure

All this red, white and blue talk has me awfully excited for the 4th of July!

My family, Ryan and I have plans to head to the Florida Keys for a long weekend of scuba diving over the 4th. I can’t wait!!!

Question of the Day

• What are your 4th of July plans?
  • What is your favorite red food?

My favorite red food is red velvet soft serve. :D

Comments

For the fourth, I anticipate lots of my friends to be coming into town, so I’m stoked! (Moved back in with the ‘rents a few months ago to save money…*groan*.)

Fav red food would prob be tomaters. :)

That looks SO tasty!!! I might have to re-create something like that for lunch today :-P

4th of July will be spent at at least 2 cookouts/parties that I know of so far, but I’m also hoping to get the hubby to go up to Lake George, NY that Friday (the 2nd) to celebrate our 6 month wedding anniversary :-D

Favorite red food? Strawberries :-P

What a beautiful parfait!! Haha, and I LOVE that part of the movie, so funny!! :)

We’ll do what we do for the 4th every year, wake up in a hotel in Atlanta and get ready to head down to the street to run in the Peachtree Road Race 10K. This will be my 10th one, but I will be doing more of a walk this year since it’s been harder to run since I’ve been pregnant. Then we’ll go to my mother-in-law’s 4th of July picnic and after that maybe try and go see some fireworks. I love 4th of July!! :)

Favorite red food=ketchup! :)

I absolutely love the banana soft serve ice cream. And good call on breaking it into chunks. I definitely didn’t do that when I first made it… and my food processor almost jumped off the counter. :-)

My favorite red food… would have to be strawberries… or watermelon. Does that count as red??

This looks AMAZING! My favorite red food is probably ketchup.. hahaha I love it on a lot of things. I also love tomatoes, strawberries, and peppers though, but ketchup takes the cake.

Favorite red food: Strawberries. Unless it’s fall and then apples from the orchard.

I can’t wait for Fourth of July. I’m heading down to my sister-in-laws and hopefully seeing her new baby. I’m willing her to have the baby before July 4.

What a beautiful breakfast, I will have to try that after my move…right now I have nothing in my house haha!

My favorite red food…strawberries all the way! :)

For the 4th i’ll be with family at my parent’s beach home in NC! I can’t wait!

Well done on the red white and blue. It shows support for the USA playing in the WORLD CUP today!!! Yes, I am on a soccer-high :)

Fave red food is spaghetti sauce. I make my own from a family recipe, and it’s fabulous.

My 4th of July plans are to celebrate a few days early on July 1 Canada Day Whoot! :-) lol. I have no set plans, as the hubby is working, but no doubt there will be a beach involved and some fireworks with friends.
    Favorite red food. I want to say strawberries or an apple, but right now I’m really into tomatoes, esp cherry tomatoes.

Actually, not sure what our plans are for this year. But hopefully something with my best friend and her family since they won’t be going to their family reunion this year! Super excited

Favorite red food? WATERMELON and STRAWBERRIES. Sorry, both are in season and I just can’t pick!

What a beautiful breakfast :D RIGHT when I saw the picture I immediately thought of one of Angela’s amazing concotions :)

I LOVE red berries – any kind, strawberries, raspberries…oh and cherries too :)

i just found your blog… must say i LOVE your recipes…real food- i am SO in… i have protein powder i need to start using and some of your cottage cheese concotctions sound like a hit!

do you know if cooking with protein powder denatures it??? thats my only worry but i am sick of
    powder & almond milk
    powder & coconut milk
    podwer & ______
    you get the idea hhaa

I have the mini and big cuisinart food processors too and a couple times I thought it wasn’t working and got ticked….only to realize that I hadn’t latched the lid into its slot so it would lock in(look at your manual if you don’t know the slot I’m talking about)….it’s on the arm of the actual machine……and if it’s not perfectly locked in there, it won’t work at ALL….just an idea:) It’s not as logical as it should be and for someone who’s used many kitchen appliances, I felt really DUMB since I had used it fine many times before. Maybe give that a whirl:)

That parfait is so pretty! I love the banana soft serve. So good!

I don’t know the exact plans for the 4th yet, but I’m sure they will involve family time :)

I think tomatoes are probably my favorite. Fresh, homegrown tomatoes!