I did it!

I ran 9 whole miles this morning. :)

9 Mile Stats

I woke up a little before 7 a.m., laced up my shoes (yes, I tied the laces – no more blisters for this girl!), and headed out.

I did an out-and-back route for the first four miles before running my typical five-mile loop around the large lake near our apartment.

Around mile 5.5, I stopped for about 30 seconds to sip some water at a drinking fountain and eat a Stretch Island mango sunrise fruit leather. It’s amazing how such a short break can rejuvenate a run. The last 3.5 miles weren’t too bad, and I finished the run feeling like I can tackle a half marathon in the near future!

Don’t get me wrong, my legs and lungs felt fatigued, but I feel like as long as I keep up with my training plan, 13.1 miles is a do-able goal on August 1. Phew!

After about 10 minutes of stretching and toweling off my sweaty body, I was ready for breakfast.

I started with a cold and creamy cup of strawberry Chobani Greek yogurt

Berry Good

I love this yogurt, but I don’t really like all the goopy strawberry stuff on the bottom. I think it tastes perfect without all that fruity liquid stirred in. Sweet with a slight hint of strawberries. Yum!

My main course included two dippy eggs with a strip of MorningStar Farms veggie bacon and a toasted Alternative bagel.

Breakfast is Served

It was Ryan’s first time trying the veggie bacon and he loved it! The bacon flavor (and smell!) is spot-on if you ask me!

Extra Dippy Please!

Toasty

Dip It, Dip It Good

I love hearty breakfasts on the weekend.

Happy 21st Birthday to My Sister!

Today is a big day in the life of my little sister.

Little Les

Dancing Queen

Leslie & Sadie

Sisters

I Love Her

Twenty-one years ago little Leslie was born.

Today she celebrates her 21st birthday!

I sense an extreme hangover in her future. :)

Happy birthday to the best sister in the whole wide world! I love ya, Les!

In honor of Leslie’s big day, I leave you with an old picture of me and Ryan from 2006… on my 21st birthday.  Yikes!

Me & Ryan on my 21st

What was  your 21st birthday like?

Comments

Ha! My 21st was Easter Sunday so I was able to avoid the hangover. I think I has some church wine. . . Congrats on the 9 miles! You will have no trouble with the 13.1

My 21st was on a Sunday too, so I went out on Saturday at midnight. Let’s just say that all I could manage to eat the following day was a few pieces of my birthday cake. It was awful!

My 21st birthday was tons o fun followed by meeting my parents and brother for lunch the next day (feeling like I might vomit the whole time) where they proceeded to laugh at my slightly green hue.

Happy Birthday to your sister! What a beautiful pair of sisters :)

I love the picture of you, too haha! Awesome.

Enjoy your day and congrats on that run! You rock :)

Way to go on the 9 miles! I think I’m just hanging out a week behind you- I did 8 this morning! :)

Happy bday to your lil’ sis! My birthday, since I was one of the youngest of all my friends and it was in the summer, turned into a four-day affair of going out at midnight the night before, birthday dinner, a night at a casino, and a 21-shots night (uuuugggghhhh). Never again!

Congratulations on your 9 mile run!
    I spent my 21st in Paris…. Lots of stories there, but it was a decade ago now *sigh* ! Hope your sister has a great day.

7. Kludjy says

You know exactly what my 21st birthday was like because you were a first hand witness. It wouldn’t have been the same without you and I love that we wore sweatpants to the bar<3

You have that half marathon in the bag! You know what they say…if you can run 8 then you can run 13! So you are GOLDEN! YAY!

Also Happy Birthday to your sister! What a fun birthday! haha! My 21st was fun. My roommate and I both turned 21 with 4 days of one another so we had a big blow out at our house!

My 21st was fun & VERY cold! It was the middle of January and I’m pretty sure we had freezing rain that night…it didn’t stop the partying though!

Happy Birthday to your sister!! :)
    My 21st was fun, but nothing too super crazy. It was enjoyed the way a 21st birthday should be – out with friends and drinks ;)

Congrats on your run – that’s fantastic!!

Awesome job on the 9 miles!!! My 21st was on a Sunday so I went out Saturday night. I don’t really remember that night but I do remember on my actual day, my mother made me a gorgeous bday dinner, with steak and potatoes and asparagus, candles, and champagne. It was really sweet :)

good job on your run! you’re gonna rock the 1/2 marathon for sure.

21st bday…typical “event at bar” type thing. i shared a 21st bday party with another friend. i dont remember too much of it though. :)

13. Jessica says

My 21st was a 3 day celebration! It fell on a Friday, which meant I could go out Thursday at midnight, which was mellow. Then came Friday, my actual birthday, in which I went out with a massive 30 or more people because it was also my brother’s 25th birthday (yes, on the same day) so he came up to kalamazoo from chicago and we had a big blast together with all of our friends! Saturday came a long and was pretty much a repeat! haha

14. Nikki says

My sister just had her 21st birthday June 13th. Her birthday present just started right now as my mom and her are in Arizona. Tomorrow they go on a hot air balloon ride.

I had my first shot on my 21st birthday. It went down…and then came right back up! I hadn’t even drank anything yet, but that was the day that I learned that shots are not for me!

Congrats on 9 miles and happy birthday to Leslie!

LOVE that picture of you from your 21st – hilarious!!

Mine wasn’t too crazy – a night at the casino with my fam and two of my bests :0)

Wow, 9 miles! What an accomplishment! Did you take Sadie with you? I beat she’s happy to be running longer distances!

Happy birthday to your sister! I’ll tell you how my 21st goes when I get there. ;]

18. Anne @ the doctor takes a wife says

Congrats on your 9-miler :) That’s a big one!! I love the pic from your 21st… There are plenty of pictures from mine that are VERY similar.

• peanutbutterfingers says

thanks! it’s actually a shirt (i’m wearing jeans that you can’t see) & i got it from marshall’s last summer.

19. hrj0116 says

Julie, I have a question for you…

I usually go to the gyms in the morning; however, I always have had trouble with what I should eat prior to working out.

I usually stick to Greek Yogurt, granola and some routine coffee. I know that doesn’t sound too appealing – but I just don’t know what I should do that would be “right”

Thanks,
    Humberto :)

20. Zoe says

My 21st isn’t for a couple months but it will be during a break from my school so my parents promised to take me out for a cocktail!