Butternut Squash Protein Pancakes

I know some of you out there are just as bummed about the lack of canned pumpkin available on the shelves at the grocery store lately. How are we supposed to make pumpkin pie protein smoothies or pumpkin protein pancakes without the key ingredient?

Well, I have one can of pumpkin remaining in my cabinet that I am hoarding and saving for a special day when a pumpkin craving really hits! Since I am saving that can, I figured I could try to recreate my pumpkin protein pancakes with pumpkin’s sister squash, little miss butternut.

My first attempt was a mega-fail, which made Sadie quite happy (she enthusiastically ate up my unsuccessful attempt), but my second go was much better.

While the ‘cakes were cooking on the griddle, I sliced up a nectarine to enjoy along with the butternutty goodness.

After topping the protein pancakes with the nectarine slices and sweet syrup, I dusted the plate with nutmeg for some added flava-flav.

Breakfast is Served

This breakfast came together quickly, but seemed more intense, like a weekend-worthy breakfast or something.

My belly was happy.

'Cakes + Nectarine + Syrup + Nutmeg

And Again

Along with the butternut squash protein pancakes, I downed a tumbler full of Barnie’s French vanilla and nutmeg coffee that I snagged for free as I was leaving the gym this morning.

You can't tell by looking, but my throat is on fiiiire...

Not only was my throat on fire in the above picture, but my head was also throbbing from that headband. Too bad I didn’t take it off sooner because I am now forced to wear it all day because I have the “headband bump” if I take it off, and we all know how cute that looks. ;)

Butternut Squash Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:

• 1/2 c. canned butternut squash
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I used All the Whey cinnamon bun protein powder which tastes like sewage in a shake, but is perfect in recipes)
  • Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, to taste

Directions

Blend ingredients together using an immersion blender. Spray pan or griddle with cooking spray and cook pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side. Top with syrup, peanut butter, fruit or desired toppings.

Note: The pancakes will not have the same texture as fluffy pancakes made with flour and will be thinner and “eggier.”

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

Pumpkin vs. Butternut Squash: Which do you prefer?

Comments

Pumpkin or Butternut Squash?? That is such a hard question! I would say that I like them each in their own cooking areas. LIke, there is a Butternut Squash risotto that I would give up my first born child for. Pumpkin in that just would not be the same. Pumpkin Scones, though? Or Pumpkin Pie? Well, those are just fall staples. So, I guess I like them both equally.

ughh I absouletely hate wearing a headband for that same reason.. It give sme a killer headache.. I have learned that he plastic ones are a lot worse than the fabricy ones..

Your breakfast reminded me of my favorite breakfast in the world.. Oatmeal, apples and cinnamin.. must start eating that again soon! hehe

I can’t believe online magazines are still writing about overcoming “carb-phobia” it’s so 90s!

They still sell canned pumpkin where I live! I guess Massachusetts people must really love it.

Odd but true – I’ve never had butternut squash. But I love pumpkin. It’s so good. Pumpkin bread was one of the first baked goods I’ve made on my own. I have such fond memories of that, probably because I love to bake.

Those pancakes look delicious, I actually like that they are thin, they look like Swedish pancakes or crepes.

5. kgardner says

I’ve been lucky enough to find pumpkin at the mom-and-pop grocery stores, as well as Whole Foods. The big stores are sold out, but you never know when you go into the smaller stores. You pay more, but at least they have it! Also consider using sweet potatoes!

6. Laura says

Definitely pumpkin! Living in WI, fall is easily my favorite season – and for me, fall is all about pumpkin. Two of my favorites intertwined – it’s perfect!

PUMPKIN! I’m not sure if you’ll luck out in Florida but I’ve found pumpkin puree at dog food stores. Weird, I know, but this small “green” dog shop near my house had cans of 100 percent pure pumpkin. No different than what you find in a human grocery. If all else fails, you could look and leave with a treat for Sadie.

8. Melissa says

You are too adorable, Julie! I definitely say pumpkin, but butternut squash is a close second. Trader Joe’s makes a pumpkin pancake mix that is seriously amazing. It gets me through the “pumpkin-less” months at the grocery store. I highly suggest picking some up!!!

It’s so funny…before you mentioned the headband I saw the picture and thought, “Man, I wish I could wear cute headbands like that without getting a headache.” So I guess it’s not just me. I never wear them because, you’re right, once you have it on there’s no going back.

Pumpkin all the way! I love pumpkin pie flavored treats and just adore the taste. I am a squash fan as well but I like to roast it in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Happy Friday!

What SR wrote about you is adorable. I reckon you could call people’s bluff and convince them that the headband bump is a new trend from Europe ;). So fashion forward, Julie!

Do you mind if I give a tip if you do want them fluffy? I am a chef and I make flourless pancake all the time, the trick is baking powder and cream of tarter. Also whip the eggwhites alone until fluffy, then whip them with the remaining ingredients.

New reader here thanks to SkinnyRunner. Did I just read correctly? Butternut squash in a can?! Really? I’ve never see that before. Where can I find some?

Cute blog by the way and concrats on the engagement and future wedding.

I know how much I love the pumpkin pancakes so I bet these are delectable as well. I’ll have to check that blog out now. Have a great day gorgeous!

PS – I think you could rock the headband bump. :D

15. Stef says

Hey,
    just wanted to let you know that you look really good in the pic and I’m sure that wearing the headband all day won’t be too bad as it looks really good on you!

16. morriskr says

Had no clue they sold butternut squash in a can!

OK, I checked out skinnerrunner’s blog and LOVE HER!! I’m not even going to admit how long I spent reading her blog, she is hilarious and i’m a fan. Her blurb about you made me LOL!

ugh, headband headaches. i get those all the time, i can’t wear headbands unless they’re the fabric/elastic kind.

i love butternut squash ravioli :)

Squash to me is absolutely disgusting. I like pumpkin though!

I feel lucky though, I didn’t realize that people had trouble finding it year-round and in large quantities.

He He He! Want to know where all the canned pumpkin is?? In my apartment! Yep that’s right, I probably have the last 50 to 60 cans! LOL… I kept buying and buying until they were ALL gone because I heard through the grapevine last July that things weren’t doing so well in the pumpkin patch (ha ha, pun intended)… Any ways, your pancakes are just like mine… I too have been using butternut squash as well because it’s mighty tasty! Thank goodness they’re still around!