Well, I have one can of pumpkin remaining in my cabinet that I am hoarding and saving for a special day when a pumpkin craving really hits! Since I am saving that can, I figured I could try to recreate my pumpkin protein pancakes with pumpkin’s sister squash, little miss butternut.
My first attempt was a mega-fail, which made Sadie quite happy (she enthusiastically ate up my unsuccessful attempt), but my second go was much better.
While the ‘cakes were cooking on the griddle, I sliced up a nectarine to enjoy along with the butternutty goodness.
After topping the protein pancakes with the nectarine slices and sweet syrup, I dusted the plate with nutmeg for some added flava-flav.
This breakfast came together quickly, but seemed more intense, like a weekend-worthy breakfast or something.
My belly was happy.
Along with the butternut squash protein pancakes, I downed a tumbler full of Barnie’s French vanilla and nutmeg coffee that I snagged for free as I was leaving the gym this morning.
Not only was my throat on fire in the above picture, but my head was also throbbing from that headband. Too bad I didn’t take it off sooner because I am now forced to wear it all day because I have the “headband bump” if I take it off, and we all know how cute that looks.
Butternut Squash Protein Pancakes
- 1/2 c. canned butternut squash
- 2 egg whites
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used All the Whey cinnamon bun protein powder which tastes like sewage in a shake, but is perfect in recipes)
- Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, to taste
Blend ingredients together using an immersion blender. Spray pan or griddle with cooking spray and cook pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side. Top with syrup, peanut butter, fruit or desired toppings.
Note: The pancakes will not have the same texture as fluffy pancakes made with flour and will be thinner and “eggier.”
Of Possible Interest
- Simple Way to Make Healthy Snacking Easier (FitSugar.com)
- Overcome Your Carb-Phobia (Health.com)
- Sarah (SkinnyRunner) mentioned me on her blog and she’s flippin’ hilarious. If you haven’t read her blog already, you’re seriously missing out.
Question of the Morning
Pumpkin vs. Butternut Squash: Which do you prefer?