Recreating Restaurant Meals

One of my favorite things to do is take an unhealthy meal and make it healthy. I love the challenge and honestly believe any indulgent dish can be transformed into something that’s good for you with a little creativity.

The past two times Ryan and I visited his mom in Sarasota we’ve enjoyed breakfast at The Broken Egg.

The Broken Egg

Both times the banana walnut streudel French toast called to us. The dish was sweet and so flavorful, made with doughy bread in a buttermilk and egg batter and topped almonds and whipped cream.

You could literally taste the butter in each bite. It was flippin’ phenomenal!

I woke up this morning craving this dish and figured I could easily recreate it in a healthier way.

I started by whisking two eggs with 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon. I dipped two pieces of whole wheat bread into the egg mixture before cooking them on the griddle.

While the French toast was cooking, I chopped up a banana and quickly cooked it on the griddle as well, which made our apartment smell amazing!

Once everything was done, I topped one piece of French toast with the warm bananas, added the other piece on top and sprinkled the dish with slivered almonds.

Banana Almond Stuffed French Toast

Banana Nutty Goodness

Of course I topped everything with syrup. Buddy the Elf would have loved it! Afterall, according to him, the four main food groups are candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup!

Breakfast is Served

Delicious Bite

Gotta love a healthy breakfast that tastes indulgent! :D

Ryan and I are off to take Sadie for a walk before headin’ to church.

Catcha lata!

Comments

I love those “healthy but indulgent” breakfasts! There’s nothing better. And yes, Buddy the Elf would have gone crazy over this (as would I)!!

2. Lynn says

Now, that looks delicious!!

I’ve been following your blog for awhile now and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it and your food pics!

That breakfast looks great! I love french toast but I haven’t had it in forever! And I love your Buddy the Elf reference. That movie has to be in my top favorite movies, it’s so cute and it brings out the kid in everyone I think.

Mmmmm…I had french toast this morning too! It tastes so indulgent but with some swaps like whole grain bread and egg whites it is just as healthy as oatmeal! :-)

Mmm, looks yummy! And fairly guilt-free, too. :) I like to re-create french toast with bagel sandwiches – egg whites on a bagel (cinnamon raisin!) drizzled with maple syrup. Tastes just like french toast but is quick and easy!

Love the Elf reference! Buddy the Elf and I would be amazing food friends, and… I just like to smile! Smiling’s my favorite! :)

I pretty much had the same thing for breakfast! Except I didn’t use whole wheat toast :-( It looks great, though! I didn’t think to put the bananas in between the two pieces of bread but I think that would probably make it even better.

OMG that looks so amazing!! You are the bomb for being so creative and making that sumptuous creation!! Applause Applause!! Seriously, I want to come over for breakfast!! ;-) NOM NOM!!

I made a half-ass version of this yesterday – grilled a banana, slathered some Better ‘N Peanut Butter on a piece of toast, and topped with flax seeds and a little syrup.

The extra 2 min to french toast-ify mine would have made a world of a difference – but I was super hungry and obv couldn’t wait. :)

If I may recommend: Add almond/walnut butter INSIDE the french toast. Add the cooked french toast into a panini press/grill./hot sandwich press etc or just re-dip it in egg mixture, and put the whole thing on the hot pan with a plate on top to squish the top/bottom together. The Almond/walnut butter melts and is phenomenal! Also, adding chocolate chips inside is pretty amazing too!!
    As you can tell… I am hungry for breakfast! lol
    Barbara

10. Kayla says

I stumbled upon your blog thanks to Pintrest! Your pictures are flooding my boards and I LOVE it. I had to laugh when I saw this post, this is my grandpa’s favorite meal at the broken egg! They live in Florida for the winter =) Seeing a picture of it now, I’ll have to make sure to visit them later this year!