20 Minutes of Intervals > 5 Mile Run

You would think that running five miles non-stop would be more challenging than alternating walking with running for 20 minutes, but for me that just isn’t the case.

This morning I did a 30-minute interval workout on the treadmill and was one heck of a sweaty mess by the time I was done.

30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

For 20 minutes, I alternated running at a 9.0 pace for 20 seconds with walking at a 4.0 pace for 40 seconds. Let me just tell you that those walking breaks go by quickly!

At the conclusion of my workout, I couldn’t help but feel like I got a better workout doing 20 minutes of interval training than I would have if I ran five miles. When I run, I get into an almost zen-like state and just sort of go, only challenging myself toward the end of the run. During the 20 minutes of intervals this morning, I challenged myself for 20 minutes straight!

Since I really wanted to flip through one of my bridal magazines, I finished my workout with an easy 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Thank you again to Lindsay for sending me several Glo Bars and packets of Barney Butter. They both made a delicious appearance in my breakfast today!

Nectarine + BB + GB

To make my morning meal, I sliced a large nectarine before topping it with a packet of Barney Butter and a crumbled Chocolate Chia Glo Bar.

Drool.

Of course I didn’t let any Barney Butter go to waste…

Every Last Drop...

Along with my nutty nectarine bowl, I also enjoyed a banana.

All Together

Git in mah belly! :D

Question of the Morning

• Do  you prefer a short, intense workout or a longer, less intense workout?

Comments

I TOTALLY agree! HIIT workouts are the way to go. And you get so much faster/gain more endurance when you do your long runs. I’ve also found that 2X/week Spinning classes helped me get so much faster! I went from a 9 min/mile to 7:55 in one year from doing HIIT workouts on the reg :)

I vary on what I prefer, but I can definitely attest to the difficulty of intervals. You always crank up the intensity when you know a walk break, albeit a short one, is coming. And they’re perfect for someone like me who can’t run distances (yet!).

you know, it kind of depends on the day for me! sometimes i have zero time or attention, so a short quick workout is the way to go. and other times i just feel like getting lost in the movement. either way is fine with me as long as i’m doing what i love :)

You are welcome Julie! I am so glad you are enjoying them. I figured I’d send some bars and barney butter out because I didn’t want them to go to waste in my house. I get so excited when I see a link to my blog! haha I am like a little kid on Christmas morning with excitement!

• peanutbutterfingers says

aw! well it felt like christmas when i received your package yesterday! :) thank you so much! i just had another pkt. of barney butter on a whole wheat tortilla for my morning snack! so good.

That looks like an awesome workout! I prefer shorter interval workouts when I’m at the gym, but I love my long runs outdoors. For some reason it is just so mentally exhausting for me trying to run more than 5 miles on the treadmill! I will definitely give this interval workout a try!

6. Marie says

I love intervals! I can’t run because of my back and would much rather prefer short, intense workouts. I also crank up and vary the incline to make it worthwhile.

I definitely prefer short, intense workouts mostly because they simply fit into my schedule better. The shorter workouts also keep me interested and make it easier to push through. That’s a big reason why I ♥ the 30 day shred.

8. Lauren says

I tried an interval workout on the treadmill and felt like by the time I got the speed where it needed to be my time was up and I needed to change speed. Any suggestions for someone who is just starting interval workouts on the treadmill?

I just recently started doing HIIT workouts and they are awesome. I still like my long workouts to clear my head, but my body definitely is pushed to its limit with HIIT training. I think a combination of the two is a perfect balance.

hi Julie :) i’m a new reader of your blog. i stumbled upon on it while blog hopping and i am seriously hooked. :) i followed you on twitter too. i love all your healthy recipes! i will try making them myself. im so happy to have come upon your blog. now im inspired to start living a healthier lifestyle. :) thanks! with love from the Philippines. :D

I need to try intervals.. it sounds hard but great!

I prefer a grueling, long, tiring work out in the morning so I can go to work (like you said yesterday) feeling like I checked something off my list before 8am!

Hi! I some how stumbled onto your blog a few weeks ago when linking from somewhere else. I am really enjoying it.

I have been doing long distance running (mainly halfs) for the past four years and this year decided to hire a trainer to change things up. He put me on shorter interval workouts (including running up a hill with weights and walking back down!) and I can tell that those work a lot better!

hey girlie!
    when I’m not training for a race I prefer to do short/intense workouts, like spinning or fast quick runs alternating pace. and I LOVE warming down on the elliptical while magazine-ing! :)
    I hope your week is off to a great start!
    xoxo!

Intervals are awesome and definitely give you a great workout. I don’t know if I could do 9.0 on the treadmill, even if it was only for a short time..8.0 is the highest i’ve gone and that’s only at the end of a run with lots of adrenaline to finish! Go you!

I have been loooooving HIIT lately. It has really changed my attitude about non-class workouts at the gym. No longer do I feel like I have to be on the elliptical for 45 or 50min. to get a solid workout – I can get much sweatier, feel much stronger, and not get BORED in just 20 or 30 min. of HIIT. And I really do think it’s made me stronger in general – I can feel the good effects when I spin :)

High intensity is totally the way to go! I’ve been doing Crossfit style workouts for the past three months and I’ve seen better results than my LSD running days! Some of our workouts at like 5 minutes long! Of course there’s other conditioning and skill work that take up more time…but working as hard as you can for 5 minutes is intensely awesome.

Lately I’ve been doing one of each, Intense 30-40 mins workout and then an hour (+) walk with the dogs everyday. I find the walks relaxing and it’s nice to be able to hop into an intense workout with the end in mind rather soon lol You take some of the funniest pictures lol! Too cute.

Short and intense without second thought! Not just because I get bored easily,but also cause at the end I feel more energetic:D
    Love ur breakfast,the best way to start the day !
    Now i have a question for you:)
    I often go to the gym from 20 to 21o’clock and eat my dinner earlier.So when I come back from gym I eat nothing at all till next morning.Is that bad for me or it doesn’t matter whether dinner is before or after working out?
    I thought you might know,as you are involved in such stuff:)
    Thanks!

19. Amy says

We went to Paradisus Palma Real on our honeymoon, it was great! We did a timeshare deal online and it didn’t cost barely anything to stay and the food was great. The only drawback was that it was quieter ( not as much nightlife) as where we held our wedding but that was what we wanted. Our wedding was at the Paradisus Punta Cana so if you have questions about either let me know.

20. Kathy says

I just found those Barney Butter packets too and love them!!! I bought them from Amazon, can you buy them at Whole Foods? My kids love them too.

• peanutbutterfingers says

hmmm i’m not sure. i would think so! i’d probably call ahead just to check before making the trip, just to be safe! :)