Ryan’s First Guest Post

Welcome blog readers! With Julie partying in Chicago, Sadie and I are home alone. When Julie leaves us, Sadie and I hang out 24/7. We eat together, we sit on the couch together, and we get bored together. Very bored. Julie is the light of my life and it’s just not the same without her. So I was searching for something fun to do and it hit me, it’s time for my first guest post! Then I realized I needed something of substance to blog about…crap! After staring at a blank blog post for 30 minutes I did two highly effective things:

1. I ate a whole frozen pizza and drank 2 beers. Inspiration!

2. I made up my own ‘ask me anything’ questions to answer. Bingo! Instant substance!

So here we go! But first, a quick disclaimer.

Disclaimer: Julie has NO knowledge of this post. These are Ryan’s opinions. Not Julie’s. Please don’t judge the blog. If I get a whole bunch of negative comments the wedding might get called off, so…smile and enjoy!

Question 1, Sarah, New Jersey:

I’ve heard that Julie is the best person ever, is it true?

Answer:

Yes. It’s true. (sorry, had to throw that out there. now on to the good stuff!)

Question 3, Ariel, Mermaid Land:

Now, how do i get results in the gym?!?

Answer:

Sweat, discomfort, and more sweat. Finding results in the gym is not easy, but the formula is simple. Ask yourself this question when you leave the gym. Did you push yourself as hard as you could? If the answer is no then results will be slow to arrive. There isn’t an ideal workout for everyone, as each person has their own physical limits. But everyone can push themselves to get results. Here are three suggestions to get the results you desire:

1. Make time to train. Are you too tired to go to the gym after work? Do you have too many commitments to workout this weekend? it happens to everyone. try to find a training schedule that fits your life schedule. when Julie first started working out at 5am i thought she was crazy. who can get up that early? i continued to try to go to the gym after work. but, as the days went on Julie was making it to the gym and i wasn’t. either i had a late meeting to stay for, or a friend scheduled a get together, or i was just too tired. so, i switched to 5 am. was the transition easy? no. but now i get to the gym consistently, because guess what? nobody has anything scheduled that early. nobody else is awake 😉

2. Do the difficult things in the gym – Do the things that you don’t see other people doing. People look at me like I’m crazy in the gym. Who does jump squats? Clean and presses? Or supersets every exercise with abs and no rest breaks? Nobody. I look like a sweaty fool, but these things have worked for me. Those were more guy example, but for girls: how many people do you see on ellipticals? how about stair steppers (julie does)? who’s more fit? Or: How many people do you see jogging on treadmills? How about doing sprint intervals (julie does these too)? who’s breathing harder? I have 0 scientific evidence, but my experience has been that harder exercises yield greater results.

3. Flex – flex? huh? what? i know what you are thinking, flexing is only for meatheads and those kids on the jersey shore. but here’s a tip, flexing is the single component that could change your fitness life. how many crunches can you do? 50? 100? I do 20. but i make my 20 count. each repetition i constrict my abs as hard as i can on the way up. i feel the entire rep. by rep 20 i’m done. try it. don’t just go through the motion. make the muscle work. it will change the way you train. i try to flex the muscle i’m working on each rep of every exercise. squats? flex your quads. arms? flex those bi’s and tri’s each rep. flexing forces you to focus on getting the most out of each repetition. give it a try!

(Did you notice I skipped question two? Just keepin’ you on your toes.)

Question 4, Sadie, (Your Couch) Orlando:

I want more walks and treats. No more baths. woof.

Answer:

That was not a question. I refuse to answer, but how did you learn to type?

Questions 5, Princess Sofia, one of Julie’s favorite movies:

Do you and Julie have pet names for each other?

Answer:

Yes. we have lots. they’ve changed through our almost 7 years together. at one point we were “Beef and Cheese”, “Rocco and Taco”, “little squirt and big squirt”, or for those special times 😉 “little stink and big stank”

Question 6, Oprah, Oprah-ville”:

How do you and Julie make each other happy?

Answer:

Wow, didn’t know Oprah was a fan. that’s amazing! anyhow, Julie and I aren’t perfect. Actually, we disagree on lots of stuff. And (PBF Secret) Julie is pretty stubborn (I am too). But we both have made each other’s happiness our top priority and this leads to compromise. In my opinion (sorry, metadiscourse for all of you that went to grade school with nuns) if you want a successful relationship you need an overall desire to make someone else happy plus three things: Communication, Trust, and Entertainment. I could probably write a book on these three things, but of the three communication is the most important. Not happy with something your partner did? tell them. if you don’t, then they won’t know it upset you. and if they don’t know, they can’t make the situation better. Both Julie and I find it easy to bottle up emotion, but we’ve found that leads to a bigger fight later on. Talk to your partner. Better yet, find a moment to give them a complement. Either way tell them how you feel. Good or bad. Both of you will get enjoyment from understanding each other better.

OK. That’s it. I want to thank all of the question askers. Very thought provoking! I hope you all enjoyed the guest post. Posting gave me a true appreciation for all you fellow bloggers as this took a lot more time and effort than i thought it would. I know I can’t match Julie’s style, but hopefully she’ll like it too!

Comments

1. Colleen says

Awwww, this is hilarious/great/funny and very sweet, I love to see the “men folk” supporting their ladies and their blogs. Great job! I think the only thing missing was the obligatory Sadie picture. :)

2. Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat says

Ha, Ryan, I totally loved this!! I laughed so hard that my boyfriend (in the next room) asked me if I was ok :) Way to put up an entertaining, informative, and totally awesome post to brighten up our Saturdays!

3. Rachel says

Awwww I LOVE this!!! Who knew you were so funny :)

I really liked your answer to Ariel (lol). It’s always nice to hear the honest truth about working out. It’s definitely not easy to see results but when you do it’s awesome.

Hope you’re having fun at your bachelorette party #2 Julie! :)

Alright, I lost count on how many “awwws” I let out while reading that! Very sweet! I say that Julie should make a monthly installment out of your guest posts. And here are some questions for your next one… 1) do you bring your own lunch to work? do you make it or does Julie? 2) my boyfriend eats a lot more meat than I do so sometimes its hard making meals that satisfy both of us. Do you and Julie have that problem?

hilarious! I’ve been reading pbf for a while because julie is adorable and hilarious, turns out you are too! no wonder she seems like such a happy girl =)

great gym tips too! so true

6. ida says

what a great post! An old gym instructor used to always say ‘laziness wont produce sexy-ness.’ kinda reminds me of your gym philosophy.

Best. Post. Ever! You can guest post anytime Ryan! That was thought-provoking and fun! And by the way, you should write a book about the 3 most important things a relationship needs. I completely agree with the entertainment part. Unfortunately relationships can get DULL if you don’t get a litte creative and HAVE FUN! Thanks for a great post!

This is awesome! I hope more guest blogging is in the future.

My husband (also in Orlando — and he has a blog of his own so maybe YOU could start one? Just sayin’…) seems to do the same thing when I’m out of town. I get lots of pictures sent to my phone involving him, the dogs, our couch and beer.

9. Sarah says

Only thing missing is the pic of Ryan and Sadie on the couch with the empty pizza box, beer cans, and the laptop! That’s what my husband would send me, just before he cleaned it up :) Look forward to more guests posts, nice to get a male perspective mixed in!

Why do I have a feeling my hubbs would use pizza and beer as inspiration on a healthy living blog, too? 😉

Great Post Ry! (Did I just call you Ry? Like I actually know you?… yup, sorry, I’m a name shorten-er).

Post a pic of Sadie! She’s presh.

11. Kaella Carr says

This is AWESOME!!! I really loved the part about getting more from your workouts…. thank you for the tips!!!

I agree, you should guest blog more often :)

You and Julie are such a cute couple!!! Early congratulations on your wedding. Enjoy the rest of your “bachelor” weekend

12. Courtney says

HAHAHA! I loved this post! So funny and sweet! After reading all the wonderful things Julie posts about you, it was fun to hear all the great things you have to say about her! :)

Very entertaining post and funny.

My fiance loves to talk and write, I think he secretly wants me to ask him to do a guest post. Maybe soon when I’ll be travelling. I’ll show him this post.

14. Marie says

Awesome post! I always get a chuckle out of the stories that Julie tells us about you. It’s nice to finally hear from you personally. 😉 Congrats to both of you on your upcoming wedding; you make a beautiful couple!

Ryan: That was awesome 😀 I was laughing the whole way thru! I love the ‘Sadie, Your Couch’- lol!!!
    Awesome advice though too- really- I never thought to actually flex the muscles I am working- I’m trying that tomorrow!
    You two are PERFECT together!

Great post Ryan! I always tell Julie that she should write more on ‘Making Relationships Work”. You guys are a fantastic couple, and I wish you all the love, happiness, health and friendship that one could hope for!
    Barbara

17. Jess says

Omg I was just reading some of your “Wedding” posts and I saw this one. You are too funny, Ryan! Reminds me of something my boyfriend would do haha. You’ve definitely got a keeper, girl! 😉