Under the Sea

“Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it’s better
Down where it’s wetter
Take it from me”

I looked to the sea for my lunch this afternoon.

Well hello there, shrimpies!

Cold Shrimp

After enjoying salmon burgers for dinner last night, I was really feelin’ the sea food vibe and decided to make myself a healthified shrimp salad for lunch.

To begin, I boiled several large, frozen shrimp until they were pink and ready for peeling. (I definitely just wrote “peeing.” Good catch.)

"Great! All peeled! Now gimme one."

After peeling the shrimp, I put them in the fridge to chill for a bit.

(Side note: I cannot say “chill for a bit” without thinking of “Shoop” by Salt N Peppa! Anyone else remember Ellen’s rendition of the song? Hilarious. Love her.)

Once the shrimp were sufficiently cold, I chopped them up and transformed them into a delicious shrimp salad which I prepared by combining the following:

• 3 ounces peeled, chopped shrimp
  • 1 tbsp. light Miracle Whip (mayonnaise will also work)
  • 1 stalk of celery, chopped
  • Old Bay seasoning, to taste

Pre-Stirred Shrimp Salad

I topped a whole wheat tortilla with baby greens and the shrimp salad and served the wrap along with a sliced orange bell pepper.

Shrimp Salad

Get in Close for the Good Stuff

Orange Bell Pepper

Tasty!

Tuesday Lunch

Enough with the Shrimp Salad Pics. Wrap it Up Already! ;)

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Afternoon

• What is your all-time favorite Disney movie?

Without a doubt, mine is The Little Mermaid. When I was growing up I used to pretend to be Ariel in our pool. A green bucket served as my “Flounder.” ;)

The Little Mermaid

All morning I’ve been listening to songs from the movie through Grooveshark (hence the “Under the Sea” reference at the beginning of this post) and am making a serious effort to keep my singing inside my head rather than belting it out for my coworkers to hear.

“I wanna be where the people are, I wanna see, wanna see ‘em dancin’…”

Comments

This salad looks amazing! What a simple, yet delicious idea.

In terms of Disney..I am a HUGE Disney movie fan and find myself singing songs, usually out loud when i’m by myself (sometimes in my boyfriend’s company), quite often. I love all of them so it is hard to choose..but I do think The Little Mermaid may be my absolute favorite. It has some of the best music. And I guess it didn’t hurt that my childhood best friend’s name is Arielle. :)

My absolute fav is The Little Mermaid too! Although, Cinderella & Alice in Wonderland are close seconds. I think I really only like Alice because I used to pretend to be her when I was little (did I just admit that online..lol) Must be the blond hair…..

Love shrimp – mayo, not so much. But this looks good even to me.

Favorite movie is Sleeping Beauty. I love all of the songs and the fairies. Merryweather, Flora and Fauna. And I loved the part where Fauna bakes the cake. So good!

Oh man… that is a really, really tough one! Beauty & the Beast and The Little Mermaid would be tied in my book. They don’t make them like they used to though, do they? The classics are where it’s at!

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one who used to pretend to be Ariel in the pool!

I was known for repeating “Part Of Your World” over and over while pushing my top half out of the water via the side of the pool. ;) I would also swim with my legs crossed to get the full mermaid effect.

The Little Mermaid was (correction IS) the best Disney movie by far!

That shrimp salad looks delicious! I never though of pudding mayo with it-ill have to try that! Shrimp is also really good in hard corn tortillas to make shrimp tacos!

It’s great because its quick and easy! =)

7. Ash says

nobody put Aladdin or Peter Pan?! Those were my all-time FAVORITE!! :)

That looks like an amazing salad, I might just have to try that!

The Little Mermaid by far! I used to pretend I was Arial when I would swim in the pool! Have you heard Colbie Calliat’s version of “Kiss the Girl”? Love it!

Yum! I love shrimp. My favorite Disney movie of all time is definitely the lion king. I know it by heart and can sing all the songs. Maybe I shouldn’t admit this, but I still watch it sometimes if I am in a bad mood it always cheers me up.

10. annette says

It’s The Little Mermaid for me. My friends and I had all the songs memorized and would sing them all the time, unfortunately none of us were an Ariel so not everybody appreciated our singing skills.

When I was a kid I watched the LIttle Mermaid on repeat for hours. But now I can barely watch it because I have just seen it TOO many times! Now I always want to rewatch Finding Nemo and random Veggie Tales.

And I totally remember Ellen’s version of “shoop.” Awesome :)

12. kyree90 says

That looks delicious.

I’d have to say “Aladdin,” just because Robin Williams’ Genie is so freakin’ funny. But really, all the Disney movies are great, from the old classics to the newer ones (that I guess are already on their way to becoming classics).

I’ve been wrapping it up all week too. Quick and easy.

I used to work at hotel by Disneyland and all day the same Disney tunes CD played in the lobby. I heard Disney everyday for 4 years, except for Christmas…when they played holiday music.

I love Ariel too and all Disney movies, especially the classic ones.

Someone commented I look like Jasmine from Aladdin and suggested I should dressed like her this Halloween. I’ll think about it.

14. Katrina says

I dyed my hair red for a summer just so I could fully pretend to be Ariel while we were at the river…. Yes, I was 14 at the time, what’s it to ya? ;) I totally had all the Ariel paraphernalia, too, like the sleeping bag, watch, pajamas… Now that I’m an adult and brunette, I think I might prefer Jasmine. I’ll have to watch Aladdin again to be sure.

Jungle Book was Really good, too. When there’s nothing in the cabinets I sing Bear Necessities.

Go Disney.

Also, Wall-E is the CUTEST thing I think I’ve ever watched. I always say it in a funny voice. The same voice I use with my dog!

Just can’t do it! Little Mermaid/Lady and the Tramp/Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin… who can choose?

I played Ursula in our camp version of The Little Mermaid, and was Jasmine for Halloween once….

Love Sadie’s faces and your captions!

16. kate says

mm that shrimp salad looks awesome! thanks for the idea.

i loved the little mermaid when i was growing up. what an awesome movie – the songs were so fun! i think i’d have to say all-time fave was the lion king though. simba…what a kid.

great post! looks like you had an awesome weekend too! i’m just catching up now!!

I definitely LOVED The Little Mermaid. I had it on VHS and accidentally sold in in a garage sale and flipped out! We had to go buy a new one right away. I also still have a Little Mermaid comforter that is my grown-up security blanket. I always cuddle up in it on the couch when I feel sad or I’m sick. My roommates have all been obsessed with it too.

Other faves are The Lion King, Lady and the Tramp and Aladdin. Goood ones.

18. Terri says

The Little Mermaid is for sure my daughter’s favorite movie! She asks for the “Ariel Song” (aka Part Of Your World) just about every night before bed! My favorite growing up was A Goofy Movie. I still love the music from this movie and now I can share the Goofy groove with my kid.
    Totally looking forward to trying that shrimp salad!

19. Anne says

The Little Mermaid is definitely my favorite. I actually used to use the arm of our couch to push off of, so I could re-enact it while watching. And these days, “Part of Your World” often makes it into our karaoke rotation…

Robin Hood is a close second.

20. Sandy says

I love all the Disney Princesses..but my favorite is still Sleeping Beauty..that’s why I had her Tattooed on my ankle, with the word’s “Happily Ever After”..
    I have a soft spot for Ariel and Belle..my daughter adored them both when she was little..

Your blog is fantastic!

that shrimp salad looks so good! and i’m making spaghetti for dinner now but now i want shrimp. AHH! but as for fave disney movie? any of the princess movies. when i was little people used to say i looked like jasmine so i loved Aladdin but my favorite story is beauty & the beast, hands down. we saw the musical last spring. :) i LOVE disney!

AAAHH. Wait, you must be joking! That’s such a coincidence. I come to your blog and i see the little mermaid! :) My sister and I watched that movie just 2 days ago! Aww.. i love old disney movies!

It’s hard to decide–The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Lion King were all favorites of mine. I had the soundtracks of each and would sing out to the top of my lungs. Lol What a coincidence! I am just looking at this and made a shrimp salad for dinner this evening from an Eating Well recipe that was emailed to me.

The Little Mermaid was a MASSIVE part of my childhood. That was pretty much the first Disney movie I was obsessed with (I think I had like 3 TLM-themed birthday parties!). But when Aladdin came along… OH EM GEE! ;)

I’m going to have to make that shrimp salad for my husband. I’m sure he’d like it!

My favorite Disney movie is Sleeping Beauty but it’s just shy of a tie with The Little Mermaid. :)

26. Callie Jo says

I love the Little Mermaid as well. After our wedding cermony, we walked up the aisle to an instrumental version of Kiss the Girl. It was awesome!!!

CJ

Dev was the star singler on Far East Movement’s Like a G6 and now she really records her own album! Dev’s debut track from her first album (that has yet to get a name) is also featuring the producers The Cataracs, who also appeared on Like a G6. This song, called Bass Down Low, is similar to her other releases, such as Fireball and Booty Bounce. I wish Dev good luck in her music career.