Cocoa Overload

Over the weekend, I just couldn’t get enough of the mocha green monster smoothie I made for breakfast on Sunday and figured I would recreate the delicious concoction for breakfast this morning.

That was the plan, anyway.

I dug out all the necessary ingredients and threw them into the blender.

Spinach: A Green Monster Requirement

I left out the packet of instant coffee, thinking I would add it in at the end.

When I tasted the smoothie about half-way through the blending process, the chocolate flavor sparked a desire for a cocoa overload smoothie. Move over mocha!

I added 1.5 tbsp. of cocoa powder to the mix to intensify the flavor and a yummy, chocolatey smoothie was born.

As with every green monster, it looked revolting…

Cocoa Overload Green Monster

… but it tasted great!

Pour it Oooout

To Eat or to Drink. That is the Question.

Drink it is!

My smoothie contained:

• 1 frozen banana
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1.5 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (for thickening)

I inhaled this smoothie within 5 minutes, which left me feeling really full. That’s a lotta liquid!

Workout

I was craving a cold breakfast after getting quite overheated at the gym this morning.

I started off my workout with 25 minutes on the treadmill. I did a slightly modified version of a workout I saw on Holly’s blog.

My version of her workout looked like this:

25 Minute Incline Treadmill Workout

This workout was hardcore! I think I only looked at the speed of the workout, and not the incline and figured it would be a breeze.

False.

This workout seriously kicked my butt. I was huffin’ and puffin’ and red faced by the time 25 minutes were up.

Phew!

I wanted to browse through Betty Crocker’s new fall mini recipe book, so I finished up my workout with 25 minutes on the elliptical while drooling over the most delicious looking cake pops (submitted by Bakerella) and turtle brownies.

Maybe that’s what inspired my chocolate craving for breakfast?

…But then again, when don’t I want chocolate for breakfast? Or for every meal, for that matter? ;)

Annnd now it’s time to work. See ya fo’ lunch!

Comments

1. Allison says

The cake pops (or cake balls, without the sticks stick) are a little messy to make – but absolutely to die for! Made them this summer w/ cherry cake mix and cream cheese frosting, then dipped in dark chocolate. Oh goodness, that’s what I want now…

• peanutbutterfingers says

i had never seen them before & they look unreal!!! i love all the holiday-themed ones on bakerella.com! so cute.

• says

I made some chocolate cake pops but by the time I was finished all the pops had fallen down the sticks, which didn’t look quite as nice. I’m not really sure why that happened. So, I ended up taking them off the stick and just placing them on wax paper – but I was quite frustrated at that point. Of course, I’m still planning on tackling it again, because no matter how ugly they looked they tasted quite delicious.

The workout was intense!! I was huffing too!!! :D And, I honestly did the same thing when I first started looking at it- I was like, eh, no big deal, can totally conquer that one. Well, it kind of conquered me- lol!! :)
    I LOVE Bakerella too!! I’m addicted to her blog! So many good ideas.

I love chocolately green monsters!

But I can never just drink something. My body needs me to chew something afterwards before it will recognize that I am full. No matter how filling I make a smoothie, it just isn’t the same as chewing my food!

4. Katie says

That workout sounds like a tough one!! I’m not good with doing inclines so the fact that you got up to 13 incline is ridiculous!! But ridiculously GOOD!

How are you able to program all that in while still running on the treadmill? I’d be so stressed out just trying to press the buttons I’d never get any running done. Can you program it ahead of time or do you actually keep pressing buttons the entire time running?

6. Primrose says

Can you preset intervals before starting your workout at your gym? I find it v annoying to change inclines and speeds when I’m running which is why I tend to avoid interval training!!

• peanutbutterfingers says

i don’t feel like i’m gonna fall off, but i do often mistype in the numbers & end up FLYING or walking really slowly until i can type in the right numbers. kind of a pain!

Hey Julie, I’m a treadmill track star too! I actually train for everything from 5K’s to 1/2 marathons on them. They work out great as I can run my buns off and not have to worry about being a mile away from home when I get tried. Keep up the good work! Love the blog…you do well!

~Andy

8. Caitlyn Seufert says

Hey, random question about your smoothie…what type of protein powder do you use? Im looking into buying some! I really want to gain more muscle and think an added protein source will do the trick