Meatball Madness

Things got a little meaty tonight after our evening walk with Sadie.

meatballs 003

I tackled my first attempt at homemade meatballs!

To make the meatballs, I combined the following:

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. rosemary
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs

To make the fresh whole wheat bread crumbs, I pulsated 1.5 whole wheat Arnold sandwich thins in the food processor, which yielded one cup of bread crumbs.

I added the crumbs to the bowl with the meat and spices and combined everything using my hands. I then rolled the meaty mixture into little balls.

I dropped the meatballs on a cooking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and placed them in my 400-degree oven for 15 minutes until they were firm and cooked through.

I topped roasted asparagus with several meatballs and a helping of marinara sauce before digging in.

meatballs 004

meatballs 005

meatballs 010

Pretty darn delicious!

Thank goodness I had a tasty dinner to enjoy this evening because my night also included something not-so-fun.

meatballs 012

Let me just say that washing a big-ass comforter and then hanging it up to dry (wet comforters are heavy!) is a huge pain in the tookus. The front of my t-shirt was soaked by the time I got that big thing over that little bar to dry out.

I think I earned my dessert tonight.

I’m off to eat some chocolate!

Comments

Dinner looks delicious! You should try and put barbecue sauce inside the meatballs! Its weird but such a good combination especially with the breadcrumbs. You can also sneak in some spinach! =)

I don’t think I could ever get sick of meatballs, veggies and marinara sauce! I need to try making homemade meatballs soon, there is something so addicting about meatballs. I could pass up meat marinara sauce any day, but not meatballs! Enjoy your evening!

3. anonymous says

Your dinners always look incredibly delicious, so please don’t take this the wrong way, but why do you not have carbs/whole grains with some of your dinners? Many of them seem to be just protein and veggies. I’m experimenting with different dinner ideas on a college budget, and I have always heard that a well-balanced dinner should have whole grains, protein and veggies, so I’m just wondering if there’s a reason for not having carbs at dinner? Love your blog by the way! :)

• peanutbutterfingers says

i honestly just eat what i am craving. i wish i had a better answer for you! my meals will sometimes be more carb heavy (ravioli, pasta, etc.) and sometimes they’ll have more of an emphasis on lean proteins & veggies. it’s really all about what we have on hand in our pantry/fridge & what we’re craving at the moment. also, sometimes i’ll make my dinner a little lighter if i know i’m going to be eating a more indulgent dessert… like last night i REALLY wanted a dark chocolate bar, so i kept my main meal lighter.

Hi Julie!!
    Thanks sooo much for sayin hi today :) You’re such a sweetheart, I see your comments around town :) and your recipes rock. I am not a meaball girl but that’s ok, my hubs woudl love them.

“a huge pain in the tookus.” nice yiddish and yes, i totally agree. washing bedding that’s heavy and big…SUCKS!!!

xo

I am really amazed that i am found a new site to bring more enthusiasm for my family and extended circle of friends….

Hope to hear more from you, and keep up the good work, we will start to wait for more posts…

6. Kristen says

When I make my meatballs or a meatloaf I like to make them healthier by using a fine grater and grating onion, garlic, carrots and chopped mushrooms into the mixture. These ingredients add tons of extra moisture to the mix as well.

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My website goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog
    by the way!

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added
    I get three emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service?

Many thanks!

lenge siden er ikke en ny arketypen av designerne som apperceive virkeligheten,

?rlig: “Hvis det bag abstraksjon tillater mennesker ? hvordan rikelig absorpsjon til

?kologi beskyttelse, igjen hvorfor ikke gj?re itall du trenger ? gj?re er ? se etter disse leverand?rene og se hvor mye du kan spare
    Denne utrolige lette sko er ikke bare perfekt for l?ping, men for

daglig bruk