Why Don't We Get Drunk and…

And the DJ Plays My Favorite Song…

Just a lil’ Miley Cyrus reference to get your day started. ;)

I must say the DJ on Orlando’s 98.9 was playin’ my favorite tunes as I was preparing my breakfast this morning.

These songs, played back to back, had me and Sadie dancin’ up a storm in the kitchen:

Anytime my day starts with a little ’90s music (Alanis, I love you) and some Jimmy Buffett, I know it’s going to be a good day.

(Side note: If you are also a ’90s music fanatic, you may wanna check out my rockin’ ’90s playlist here.)

My love of Jimmy Buffett can be attributed to my parents who would play his music all the time.

Hi Jimmy!

His tropical lyrics and laid back music would always make us feel more relaxed and happy, especially when the winter months in Chicago hit and all we could think about was how cold and dreary it was outside!

Funny story about good ol’ Jimmy…

One night during a normal family dinner when I was in elementary school, my dad put on a Jimmy Buffett CD. As we were eating, the song “Why Don’t We Get Drunk” came on.

I was no more than nine years old, but both my sister and I knew all the words to the song and sang along. I can remember my parents exchanging awkwards looks when we sang these lyrics…

I really do appreciate the fact you’re sittin’ here
Your voice sounds so wonderful
But yer face don’t look too clear
So bar maid bring a pitcher, another round o’ brew
Honey, why don’t we get drunk and screw

It wasn’t until I was a few years older that I figured out exactly what it was that I was singing about and why exactly my parents looked so uncomfortable that night at the dinner table. ;)

Oh, innocence.

Well, that was quite a tangent, huh?

Let’s get to breakfast!

Taking a cue from the deliciousness of yesterday’s pumpkin peanut butter French toast, I recreated the meal in a more simplified way, by simply making a pumpkin peanut butter sandwich.

PB & P

I combined 1/3 cup of canned pumpkin with two tablespoons of PB2 to make the pumpkin peanut butter and smeared it on a honey wheat sandwich thin.

Cinnamon Dusted

I dusted the sandwich with cinnamon and enjoyed it alongside a ripe banana.

A Bite of Autumn

Breakfast is Served

I also sipped on a tumbler full of free hot coffee from my gym. I combined three flavors of Barnie’s Coffee (pumpkin spice, cinnamon butter cookie and French vanilla) to make a delicious cinnamon pumpkin vanilla butter cookie flavor!

Sadie was very intrigued…

"What's that You Got There, Mama?"

I was also quite intrigued with the matchy-matchy thing going on between my skirt and the tumbler, considering both patterns were quite unusual.

Kinda Matchy?

What can I say? I’m easily amused.

Workout

My workout was the Wednesday usual: BodyPump class + 15 minutes on the elliptical.

I read a super-old issue of Real Simple magazine while ellipticizing and must say that magazine is highly entertaining. I love all of their quick and easy recipes. I definitely tore one out to try soon!

Time to work!

Hope you have a faaaantastic day.

Comments

1. Jordy says

Ooooh I love that Real Simple, it’s always ripped up into shreds by the time I’m done with it because I pull out recipes, organizational tips, and decorating ideas!

Music gets me so pumped up. I went to Shakira last night and I’ve decided she’s my role model. Love her.

I have so many awkward music stories like that – its what happens when you are the 9th of 11 kids and your listening along with all of your brothers and sisters.

I really love your breakfast sandwich. I need to go pick up some PB2. I ran out a while ago and things haven’t been the same since.

3. Nicole (Picky Nicky) says

I’m so jealous that your gym gives out free coffee! And not to mention the flavours sound delicious :D Have a great day,
    Nicole

I love Real Simple! I anxiously await it every month :) I envy your workout ethic! How do you stay motivated to go every day…and what time do you wake up in the morning? I’ve started going for a run before work, but never feel like I have enough time in the morning!

My boyfriend lets his kids play his games on the playstation and usually puts restrictions on them so they can’t see or do anything bad. One day I was reading while his 7 year old (VERY SMART 7 year old,) was playing some game, and she asks, “Hey Rachel, what does P-U… spell?” Yeah, she spelled out the P-word. I made something up and told J when he got home that he needed to pay more attention to what exactly the restrictions were blocking. It was horrifying.

6. Chaaron says

Oh my gosh! I have similarly embarassed my parents by knowing all of Jimmy Buffett’s “Why Don’t We Get Drunk” lyrics at much too young of an age! This has translated into a lifetime love of Jimmy Buffett for me though – and I do think that growing up to be a Parrothead is a good thing!

Ha, I love that you call it ellipticizing. I never know the action word for elliptical – is there a proper one? I always say ellipticalling, and actually obnoxiously pronounce it ellipti-call-ing. :)

I love all the pumpkin on the blogs now!! Fall is here :D

Similar to your Jimmy Buffet story, I feel that half the Spice Girl songs that I sang non-stop during grade school are really inappropriate when you actually think through the lyrics. Like..Two Becomes One…there is something fishy going on there, lol.

Your skirt is so cute- reminds me of a Vera bag I have, in a retired color :( I hate how they always retire the best ones!!

I went to a Buffet concert with my parents in elementary school. Probably where I got my love of pre-concert tailgates. And Landshark :)

I love 80s and 90s music. It gives me so much energy! That sandwich looks delicious!

What kind of canned pumpkin do you use? I’ve only been able to find one brand in stores and it had added sugar and preservatives.

11. Geraldine says

That story about the racy song lyrics made me laugh. When I was younger there was this song on a mix tape I owned, that I loved, and I would always make my parents play the song when the family went for a drive. I loved blasting out the line “Oh my god this music just turns me on!” I was totally oblivious to the fact that my mum, dad and older sisters were trying not to laugh out loud!

I love 90’s music. The country music from the 90’s was my favorite.

I think it’s hilarious the kind of music I used to listen to! I’ll hear songs from my childhood now and as I’m singing along I think “THOSE are the lyrics? How did I never know how dirty this song is?”

13. Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice says

I love Alanis and have all her songs on my iTunes :)

Your coffee sounds so amazing.. It’s like a liquid dessert!

14. Leah says

Julie, Im a new reader of your blog and catching up slowly with old posts. I had to post that when I was six and my brother was 4 my parents took us to see Jimmy Buffett. 21 years later my parents still say it was their most awkward parenting moment when I was sitting on my dads shoulders singing “Why Dont We Get Drunk”. You can tell your parents they aren’t the only ones out there who had the same experience!