Our Date Night Tradition

Lunch was a simple one!

Open-Faced Chicken Sandwich

I made myself a BBQ chicken sandwich on a whole wheat sandwich thin with baby greens and gobs of mustard.

The Old Standby

For some added veggies, I also enjoyed a side of broccoli slaw with Italian dressing.

Broccoli Slaw

Friday Spread

Minimal effort was required to assemble this lunch, but it was still super satisfying and delicious.

My kinda meal! :D

Date Night

As long-time PBF followers already know, Ryan and I take turns planning date nights for each other every other month. This is something we’ve been doing for years and is something we both look forward to every single time.

All Dressed Up

It’s fun to be the “date planner” and brainstorm creative date ideas you think the other person will enjoy and it’s obviously fun to be the one wined, dined and entertained!

Smile!

Our date nights don’t have any restrictions, limitations, budgets or minimums. A date night can be a simple picnic at a park or a fancy-schmancy four-course dinner.

Past date nights have included:

Cheeseballs

When blog reader Lindsey e-mailed me asking how I come up with date ideas, I started to think about the steps I take when planning a fun date night.  When it’s my turn to plan a date, I typically do a number of things:

• Think about local restaurants we’re dying to try
  • Hop on Ticketmaster.com to see if any comedians or good concerts are coming to the area
  • Check out Groupon.com for local deals and promotions
  • Talk to friends and coworkers about fun things they’ve done recently
  • Look at the city of Orlando’s calendar of events for fun festivals

As you may have guessed, tonight is DATE NIGHT!

It was my turn to plan a date this month and I’m excited for the activity we have planned.

It’s gonna be a fun (& yummy!) one! :D

Question of the Afternoon

What is your ideal date?

Comments

I love the idea of date night and doing something a little bit extra special. Just the thought that the other person had to go through a little effort to plan things makes it special. Do you always keep your dates as a surprise? I’m sure that helps build up the anticipation!

• peanutbutterfingers says

it depends… if the date doesn’t require a big commitment, then it’ll usually be a surprise. but, i have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, so ryan almost always knows what date i have planned… ;)

i love the date night idea. i think i need to implement that w/my bf. i love going to dinners or doing things that are new…

and i LOVE LOVE LOVE that dress in your “all dressed up” pic. it’s stunning!

• peanutbutterfingers says

thanks so much! it is actually my mom’s dress. she wore it, then my sister wore it & then i wore it. it’s quite the little hussie of a dress.

3. Brittany says

My favorite outings with my husband are:

1) Visiting animal shelters to walk the dogs and hold the baby kitties :)

2) Checking out live bands at local bars – especially dive bars, so fun!

3) Dining on any sort of patio. (Well, in the summer at least. We’re not hardcore enough for the Midwest winters.)

4) Finding a great place to people watch, and then trying to make up life stories to match the people we’re watching. Creepy? I dunno, but hilarious.

4. Katie says

This is so cute! I think my boyfriend and I may do something similar to this. What a great way to try new things together, or even just knowing that one night a month is just for you two. :)

My favorite date night would be going to a local bar/restaurant and sitting outside with a couple cocktails and appetizers, listening to live music, perhaps seeing a movie later, or just spending the evening listening to the music.

5. Nathan says

Cute…Our greatest dates r out to eat at a resturant which has a gorgous view overlooking a lake or ocean..then a foot n back massage for my better half..then a long walk in the dark holding hands……how often do u have the special date nite?? everyweek?

awww, how fun! my husband & i have date nights too. in the past i’ve really enjoyed going on walks and out to new restaurants! we have a restaurant.com certificate we’re using in a few weeks. i can’t wait!

7. Nic says

My husband and I are really active so our dates usually include golf, snowboarding, biking or a nice long walk. Don’t get me wrong though… we both very much enjoy a good retaurant every now and again :)

Ooh have fun tonight! My ideal date night is going to a new restaurant we both wanted to try, drinking some wine, and having some great conversation. After all this time, I still love getting to know my husband. There is always more to learn, that is why date nights are important!

What kind of lettuce is on your sandwich? Looks like its growing out of the bun. :)

I love that you both plan dates. How fun!

My ideal date would be either something unique and cultural, like going to a special exhibit or gallery show or concert, or something outdoorsy like hiking or biking. But either way it would also involve a tasty meal or treat :)

10. Lynn says

You and Ryan are so creative! I love his “proposal” date night (yes, I had to go back through your blog and read about it). Have fun tonight, and can’t wait to hear the details.

Yum…that bbq chicken sandwich made my mouth “water” I know what I am having for lunch tomorrow.

11. Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat says

Oh I am excited to see what you’ve come up with! My boyfriend and I really need to start doing this!

12. Kyla says

We use to do date night every once in a while but we`ve been so busy since our wedding, it felt to the way side. I`m bringing it back though. Thanks for reminding me and giving me great ideas.

anything fun planned for the weekend

An ideal date for my husband and I is anytime we can be together. He’s gone for work about 60 hours a week and so I am just so excited to see him. One of favorite dates from the past was a nice dinner out after playing miniature golf at an arcade.