Key West

The second day of our honeymoon started off with a sweaty workout at Little Palm Island’s fitness facility. key west 025 While Ryan did some crazy workout that involved five million push ups, I stuck to a simple cardio workout that included 30 minutes on the treadmill, followed by 15 minutes on the elliptical.

My treadmill workout looked like this:

Minutes Incline Speed
0-5 1.0 6.5
5-15 1.0 9.0 for 15 sec., 4.0 for 45 sec.
15-21 1.0 9.5 for 20 sec., 4.0 for 40 sec.
21-25 1.0 10.0 for 15 sec., 4.0 for 40 sec.
25-30 7.0 4.5

After our workouts were complete, we headed back to our bungalow to shower before eating an apple and catching the first boat back to the mainland. key west 033Our plans for the day took us to Key West, the southernmost key of the Florida Keys.

After a 30 minute drive, we arrived at Key West and our stomachs were seriously grumblin’. We needed breakfast fast.

We found an adorable little creperie and grabbed a table outside. key west 045key west 046 When we walked into the creperie, the delicious aroma of pastries and crepes filled the air. We decided to split a butter croissant while waiting for our breakfasts to come out. key west 039This was hands down the best croissant I’ve ever had. It was doughy, light and buttery. Perfection.

For my main meal, I opted for an omelet filled with spinach, goat cheese, onion, tomato and mushroom.key west 040 Ryan also ordered an omelet and we both raved about our meals.key west 043key west 044Once our bellies were sufficiently full, we headed to Duval Street to begin a day of exploration and sight seeing.

We walked around for a couple of hours and eventually headed to Ernest Hemingway’s house for a tour.

key west 048

key west 059It was really neat to learn about such a well-respected author. I always seem to most enjoy the random tid-bits of information about their personal lives.

For instance, Ernest Hemingway purchased his home in Key West for around $7,000. One time, when he was out of town, unbeknownst to him, his wife at the time (he had four wives over the course of his life), decided to put in a pool… that cost $20,000! key west 056When he returned, he was flabbergasted and handed his wife a penny, telling her she spent all of his money and could now have his very last cent.

She had the 1934 penny imbedded in the cement of the pool deck where it remains to this day. key west 057Though Ryan and I both enjoyed the various anecdotes about Hemingway’s life, our favorite part about the property was definitely the 6-toed cats!key west 066

key west 062There are 45 cats that live on the property and every single one is descended from Ernest Hemmingway’s famous 6-toed cat.

key west 047The cats were seriously adorable, so we stuck one in my purse and now have a little playmate for Sadie!

Just kidding. 😉  key west 061Our next stop took us to the southernmost point of the United States for a quick photo op.

key west 068Once we checked that little stop off our “must see” list, we headed back to Duval Street for more sight seeing.

Eventually we started to get hungry again, so Ryan purchased some conch fritters from a nearby street vendor.

key west 070For those of you skeptical about the deliciousness of conch like I was, fear not! Conch is some pretty tasty stuff… especially when dipped in key lime mustard. key west 076key west 077

With our appetites officially sparked, we walked another two blocks before stumbling upon Bagatelle, a cute restaurant with plenty of outdoor seating.

key west 084With some persuasion from our waiter, we began our meal by splitting a bowl of seafood chowder that was incredibly creamy and full of chunky potatoes and shellfish.key west 078For my main meal, I ordered a grilled mahi mahi sandwich with a side salad. Our waiter also brought us a plate of fries to share because they were “too good to pass up.”

key west 081

I realize the portion of fish looks tiny in the above picture, but it was actually quite generous! I ate it all, as well as about 3/4 of the plate of fries.key west 082Though everything was delicious, Ryan’s Cuban sandwich stole the show. Hands down the best Cuban sandwich I’ve ever tasted. According to our waiter, the pork in the Cuban is marinated for four hours before being slow cooked. It’s a winner!

After lunch, we walked around for a bit and I purchased a little decal for the back of my car.

key west 086 Totally kidding. Is that not the ugliest vizsla you’ve ever seen? Sadie would be ashamed.

On our way back to our car, we grabbed some dessert.

key west 087Ryan and I shared a medium cup of pumpkin and cinnamon swirled custard. It was fantastic and satisfied our sweet tooth.

We then headed back to Little Palm Island to relax a bit before dinner.

And that’s where I’ll leave off for the time being… Ryan just woke up and we have more honeymooning to do today! 😀

Hope you guys are doing well!

Comments

What a great time!! I’m glad you were able to pull together something fun with such short notice. And I kind of want a six-toed cat now!!

They have Kohr Bros in Florida?? I thought it was just a Jersey Shore thing- in any case, we never get the cinnamon or pumpkin flavors up here!!

That is some neon ice cream, haha! I bet it was delicious, though 😀

I love love love conch! And all kinds of fishy things – ya’ll look like you’re having an amazing time – SO happy for you two 😀

I loooove Key West! I spent my 21st birthday there. If you go back, be sure to check out the KINO Sandal factory – really cheap handmade leather sandals in so many colors and styles. SO cute!

4. Emma says

So happy your enjoyed my home, yesterday was a good day for visiting, wasn’t sunny but nice and uncommonly cool. Have an amazing rest of your honeymoon in the beautiful Keys.

5. Becca says

Looks like you guys are having a great time! How fun!? I may or may not have actually stolen a six-toed cat if i were there, and may or may not actually be going there right now to get one…

seriously though, how cute!

6. Maddie says

Hi! I’ve recently found your blog through fitsugar and I’m hooked! I’m trying to improve my fitness and healthy eating and you’re full of inspiration for me. (I’m getting married next year so have had a read through your wedding planning posts too!)

I was wondering about the treadmill workouts that you post, are the speeds in miles or kilometres? I’m thinking about trying today’s and wanted to make sure I’m doing it right!

Your honeymoon looks great, hope you continue having a wonderful time!

7. Jenn says

omg i LOVE bagatelle! if you get a chance, i would definitely recommend going there for dinner! they have a beautiful menu that is more “upscale” and delicious! their bloody mary’s are to die for also :)

8. angie says

Its awesome that you still do your workouts when you are on vacation…. I know I do! Those cats are so cute! Have a great time in Key West!

Looks like you had a fun-filled day!
    The six-toed cats are adorable :-) And how cool to have toured Ernest Hemingway’s home.
    And as for the food… I think all of us readers are living vicariously through you this week! Everything looks delectable.
    Have fun!

10. John Sullivan says

I found your blog because I constantly search for “Hemingway”. One of Hemingway’s most favorite foods was a peanut butter and Bermuda onion sandwich – so he had “peanut butter fingers” alot:-)

11. Laurel says

Looks like you are having a great time! My boyfriend and I just stayed in Key West in June and ate at La Creperie! I had the cinnamon sugar crepes and still dream about them.

your honeymoon looks amazing so far! :)
    loving all the updates…blogging and working out on your honeymoon. you’re my hero!

six toed cats. very interesting!

13. Bb says

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the keys with your HUSBAND 😉 the hotel room is gorgeous and the food looks incredible! Have fun I’m looking forward to reading the recaps :)

This brings me back to my last spring break! I spent it with my family on Key West and it was BEAUTIFUL :)

If you get to go back during your honeymoon, definitely stop at the Hog’s Breath restaurant and saloon. It sounds sketchy, but it is SUCH a great place for delicious food and definitely has character – they even sell merchandise! The restaurant is crazy-cool looking, too.

Also, the Ernest Hemingway House was so much fun! I remember the story about the penny, it made me smile :)

15. Camille @ La Bella Vita says

Looks like you are having a great trip! I love that your outfits are so bright and seem to pop with the colours of the area. It looks like you are somewhere tropical even though you stayed close to home.

16. carlee says

everything looks delicious and it looks like you guys are having lots of fun!! i so wish i was on a vacation right now. but no, im here studying stupid physics. hehe