Thanksgiving Traditions: Your Ideas

I’m so happy tempeh found its way into my life!

Sesame Ginger Tempeh

Tempeh

It is flavorful and full of protein and made my lunchtime sandwich oh-so-tasty.

Wednesday Lunch

I used Turtle Island Foods’ marinated sesame ginger tempeh on my sandwich and served it alongside green pepper slices, string cheese and a banana.

And now I am full. :D

Thanksgiving Traditions

I loved reading about all of your Thanksgiving traditions. You guys had me smiling from ear-to-ear and definitely helped me get into the holiday spirit!

Here are some of the wonderful ways you celebrate Thanksgiving each year:

• Hold a “Friendsgiving” feast for all of your friends (Megan)
  • Have a potluck “Practice Thanksgiving” the week before (Anne, Rachel)
  • Make a cherpumple… Aka the ‘turducken’ of desserts! (Victoria)

Cherpumple

(Source)

• Decorate for Christmas after Thanksgiving dinner (Samantha)
  • Beginning November 1, write one thing you’re thankful for on a slip of paper every day and place it in a glass jar until Thanksiving arrives. During Thanksgiving dinner, take turns selecting notes from the jar to read aloud with your family. (Jenni, Laura, Also seen on YoungHouseLove.com)

Notes of Thanks

(Source)

• Enjoy a trip to the movies with the family on Thanksgiving (Julia)
  • Scope out the neighborhood with the best Christmas lights (Leanne, Chelsey)
  • Participate in a Turkey Trot race or go for a morning run

Turkey Trot

(Source)

• Write letters to your loved ones to read to each other on Thanksgiving (Holly, Jessica, Molly)
  • Snuggle up to watch the Macy’s Day Parade (Rebecca, Karen)
  • Bake pumpkin and apple pies in the morning to eat for breakfast (Shanna)
  • Take Christmas card pictures on Thanksgiving day (Laura)
  • Pull the wishbone from the turkey and whoever loses has to clean up dinner (Nikki)
  • Pick out a Christmas tree to decorate over the weekend (Jessica)
  • Make cinnamon rolls to fuel Black Friday shopping (Pam)
  • Watch holiday movies
  • Make a Thanksgiving scrapbook and add a new page each year (Marlo)

I’m feeling inspired to start some fun traditions with my new little family! :D

I suggested the notes of thanks in a glass idea to Ryan last night. I told him that we had to back track and quickly write 16 things we’re thankful for to make up for all the days we already missed in November.

We opted to start that tradition today and skip the first 16 days, so as not to hastily scramble notes and resort to things like “I’m thankful for crab chowder.” (I totally am thankful for crab chowder though.)

When I told Ryan that our jar won’t look pretty and full, he said we could stuff it with blanks. Blanks of thanks. That’s how we roll. ;)

Comments

1. Jenny @ Enjoy Your Cheerios says

I like the movie idea. Obviously hitting up Harry Potter 7 with my family :)

That cherpumple is too funny. People are so creative with desserts!

I kind of fail at this.

My family doesn’t have any holiday traditions, except for Christmas Eve.

So I’m spending Thanksgiving at the race track with my SO. That sounds like a lousy Thanksgiving, but really, it’s going to be awesome. We both like gambling and I’ve never been to the track, so it’ll be a new experience. I think horses are really beautiful too, so I’m pretty excited to spend the day with him, watching the races.

Is it just me, or is “cherpumple” kind of terrifying?

3. Gillian Young says

I wish I could celebrate American Thanksgiving too!

For our Canadian Thanksgiving we always all go apple picking before we make our feast! Then we hit up a local farm shop for pumpkins and pies! The apples usually sneak into the feast as well!

We had a friends-giving two years ago and I can’t wait until we’re moved into our new house to do it even bigger next year. If you like tempeh, you should try it plain (but cooked) on a slice of toast with a laughing cow and jam. Oh my word, it is good.

I really want to try tempeh, yay for soy that is fermented and not freaky!

I just gotta make sure to find some that is gluten-free, so probably something plain without marinades.

6. Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat says

I loved the Young House Love thanks jar. I’m saving it for next year though :)

Love all the Thanksgiving holiday traditions!!

7. Bonnie says

Well, I’m thankful that no one was in your house with you last night! So, in that vein, I’m thankful for safe shelter. So many don’t have that security.

8. Gina G says

Hey Julie I loved all of these traditions! Sorry this is kinda of late, but my bestfriend and her family every year have this huge breakfast the morning of thanksgiving and all the neighbors and some friends come over and bring a dish as well.
    My family on all the family holidays always pull out the game LCR after dinner, it is soooo much fun!

mmmmm i havent been buying tempeh lately but i think i need to get back on the band wagon! I LOVE traditions they are my favorite! MY Thanksgiving MUSTS are watching charlie brown thanksgiving. I also always get a family group shot :) I should start adding some new fun traditions, everyone came up with some real great ones!

I forgot to post this on your call for traditions yesterday, but every year on Black Friday my cousin and her husband have a “meat day” where they invite all their friends and deep-fry tons of meat. It’s a riot, and I don’t even eat meat!!

Tempeh! I dont know why but I have never been able to stomach it! I tried in so many ways, but just never really meshed that well with me!
    love the traditions from your readers! my mom alwways likes to go on a family walk after the meal!

These are great ideas!! I love the jar one, that;s much better than the usual “I’m thankful for family, friends, and health” Even though those ARE things to be thankul for, looking back through the month or day-to-day appreciations is much more heartfelt.

13. Leslie says

I love those ideas! Let’s do the Turkey Trot and the notes are so cute! I also like the cinnamon roll baking for black friday shopping (or whenever) ;)