Wedding Recap: Behind the Door

Before our wedding day a wonderful blog reader, Holly, commented with a story about how she and her husband-to-be shared special moment before they walked down the aisle together.

In her words:

“I just got married three months ago…My husband and I didn’t want to see each other before the wedding, but there was a picture that I wanted. It was us standing on either side of the door to the “bridal suite,” unable to see each other, but holding hands through a small crack in the door. The photographer was able to capture pictures of both of our faces, and then our hands together. It was at this moment that I became so excited and realized how much I missed him and couldn’t wait to see him at the end of the aisle about thirty minutes from that point. My voice was shaky when I responded to him saying “Hey, babe” which is what he always says, and I became all teary. I will remember that moment as long as I live.”

(You may see a couple of her pictures here.)

After reading Holly’s story, how could I not want to emulate that magical moment?

I spoke with our photographer beforehand and Ryan and I arranged to take a similar picture about 40 minutes before I walked down the aisle.

At around 4:50 p.m. on our wedding day, I heard one of my bridesmaids call out “He’s coming!” I could feel my whole body come alive with excitement.

I stood on the other side of a big, white wooden door, waiting to hear his voice.

When he said “Hi Sweetie,” I felt my eyes fill with tears.

I reached out for his hand and felt his warm touch immediately. 007_BehindtheDoorMy eyes began to water.003_BehindtheDoorRight before Ryan arrived, we had a little bit of a stressful situation occur involving the inability to get a key to lock up the room where we had all of my stuff and my bridesmaids belongings. (It sounds silly I know, but it was stressful at the time.) Through the frenzy, I kept thinking “I just want to talk Ryan.”

Finally I was able to talk to the one person who always knows how to calm me down and make all of my worries subside.

I was able to touch him and feel his gentle squeezes.

005_BehindtheDoor004_BehindtheDoor After snapping a couple of pictures, our photographer said something wonderful.

“Why don’t we just give them a minute?” 002_BehindtheDoor The moment that everyone left the room was so precious to me.

We were alone.

I started really crying. Happy tears. Tears of excitement and tears of sheer readiness. Ryan squeezed my hand and told me he couldn’t wait to become my husband.001_BehindtheDoor

I couldn’t wait to become his wife.

To be continued…

(All photos courtesy of the amazing Gina Leigh.)

Comments

So amazing. Makes me teary and want to do the same thing someday. So exciting to be featured on Cup of Jo! Though you are already a pretty big deal yourself ;)

These pictures and the story behind them are beautiful. Congratulations!

What I love most is that it encapsulates what a wedding is really all about – one moment shared by two people in love.

I’m getting married next month and my fiance wants to be traditional and not do the “first look.” I love this because it gives you that precious moment without an official first look. Oh, and I totally just cried at my desk.

What a cute idea! I had never thought of that!

My husband and I did the first look. Just us and the photographer. I walked up behind him on a bridge, when really I wanted to run to him! It was a great moment with the just the two of us. It didn’t ruin the walk down the aisle either. I still teared up walking down the aisle.

5. Kristen says

I just saw this on pinterest and thought…. that girl looks familiar! Had to come see if it was on your wedding page and sure enough, here it is!

6. Julie says

I’m new to your blog and when I saw this post, I nearly squealed! I keep seeing this photo on Pinterest and absolutely love it! Such a sweet moment.

7. Carrie says

So I had one of these pictures pinned on pinterest on my wedding board (I got married 7 months ago). I just started reading your blog and a couple months ago and when looking through pinterest today noticed that the person in the picture I pinned looked familiar. So funny that I had this pinned a year ago and been reading your blog unknowing.

8. JWien says

Hi Julie,

First time commenter here.. I love following you every morning when I first get to work. It’s a nice way to ease into the work day with a friendly update of your workout and breakfast because it keeps me on track with my healthy breakfasts in the office. Anyway, the reason I am commenting is because I am getting married in 12 days now and have just been browsing Pinterest for hair ideas and somehow I came across this. I remember seeing this picture when reading about your wedding so I HAD to show you what I found : ) Hope you enjoy it! http://pinterest.com/pin/250020216784128643/

I absolutely LOVE your blog! I came across it searching for interval workouts on google. But after searching around you have so much more to offer. This page really touched me! I just got married in June. I wanted to do a first look to save time, but my husband didnt want to. In the end we didn’t I am glad we didnt because the moment we first saw each other was great. But this idea was sooo great and perfectly executed!!!