Wedding Recap: Flowers

Nothing too formal. Nothing too “together.” Nothing that looked stiff and modern.

Something romantic. Something ethereal. Something timeless.

That’s what I envisioned for our wedding flowers. 010_DetailsWhen I discussed the colors I wanted for our wedding with Ryan, I told him I saw a wedding full of creamy whites, soft yellows, ivory and champagne. He said he wanted bright colors!

I assured him that color would come through in the details.

In our flowers.

037_DetailsI showed him pictures of the inspiration behind our wedding and that helped him see my vision.

On the day of our wedding, I remember him whispering in my ear, “Everything looks perfect. The bridesmaid dresses, the flowers, everything.”

Ryan and I worked with Terry, the owner of Carter’s Florist in St. Petersburg to brainstorm ideas for my bouquet, my bridesmaids’ bouquets, ceremony and reception flowers.

I wanted my bouquet to have an undone elegance to it. A field-flower appearance with soft colors and a romantic feel.

115_Details I think he nailed it.

The mix of white lilies with full roses, beautiful field flowers and the perfect amount of green foliage helped create the bouquet of my dreams.034_DetailsFor my bridesmaids’ bouquets, we left out the lilies and field flowers and created beautiful bouquets full of white, yellow and goldstrike roses. 058_Ceremony009_GuestsThe groomsmen wore gorgeous, full goldstrike rose boutonnieres while Ryan wore a creamy white lily.003_Groomsmen 029_Bride&GroomOn the end of the chairs lining the aisle of our ceremony, we had a cream, soft yellow and goldstrike rose tied to together with a white satin ribbon.052_Details051_DetailsThe aisle itself was lined with a sprinkling of rose petals. 056_DetailsThe combination of cream, soft yellow and goldstrike roses appeared again inside square, gold boxes as the centerpieces on the guests’ tables in the ballroom where our reception took place.068_DetailsAll of the guests’ tables featured the centerpieces along with rose petals, glass candle votives and a framed sign detailing the table name.

Our guests sat at tables of 8 to 10, while we had one, long feast table for the bridal party and their dates.

Terry helped us make the feast table stand out by recommending incorporating three high candelabra flower arrangements which looked fantastic with the high ceilings of the ballroom. 074_Details 085_Details067_DetailsOur flowers were very special to me. When our florist delivered all of the bouquets to our room about two hours before our ceremony, I remember thinking “This is it!”

Seeing my bridesmaids hold their bouquets against their dresses was the moment that I realized our vision for our wedding day actually worked.

To be continued

(All photos courtesy of the amazing Gina Leigh. Flowers provided by the wonderful Carter’s Florist of St. Petersburg, Florida.)

Other wedding recap posts:

Comments

1. steph says

i LOVE when yellow is used in outdoor weddings. i agree with sarra! reading all your updates, i find myself taking notes for my wedding someday ;)

2. Brittany says

Absolutely gorgeous. I love your bouquet and the combo of muted tones and bursts of color, and I think I am obsessed with the tall arrangements. I did something similar for my wedding (but with soft and hot pinks) but yours looked SO beautiful!!!!!! I bet you were so happy with how all of your flowers turned out :) Great planning and vision on your part!

I am totally obsessed with your flowers. If there was one aspect of your wedding that I absolutely fell in love with, it was the flowers. They are perfect. An understated elegance that stands on its own. Divine.

Yellow is my favorite color . I ‘m an art teacher and color choice was the most daunting part of the wedding process! It’s tough to commit! You worked it girl! Color is what creates the mood and feel of the entire day. Your palette was soft, feminine and cheerful. I chose black and pinks because our wedding was at night and I wanted it to feel sleek, modern and romantic. http://fisilis.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/going-to-the-chapel/
    xo
    Mindy

Beyond beautiful! I have a question: What did you do with all the flowers? Your apartment must be loaded with them and smell amazing! Did you dry them, or give them away as gifts to the people that came?
    Barbara

6. Ariana says

I LOVE these flowers!! I’m a huge lover of flowers at weddings. My friend just got married and she did fantastic things with flowers…Each of her 5 bridesmaid had a bouquet made of 1 particular flower and “filler.” The bride used each of the 5 different flowers to make up her bouquet. The flower that each groomsman wore matched the flower that the bridesmaid had her bouquet that he walked with. And then, each bridesmaid had her flower in her hair as well. It turned out stunning. It was a fall wedding and the flowers were beyond beautiful—just like yours. I love how bright hers were, but adore how romantic yours are. So many options… :)