Wedding Recap: The Details

I remember my mom asking me, “What is your vision for your wedding?” Did I want an elegant wedding? A formal affair? A shabby chic ceremony?

My reply? I wanted a romantic, classy and timeless wedding with homemade touches.

I love being crafty and I think the little details of a wedding can truly allow the personality of the couple to shine.

My mom, sister and I tuned into our crafty side to make the programs, menus, wedding favors and table signs for our wedding. With the help of some free template downloads from the Wedding Chicks website, we created a cohesive look.111_Details 110_DetailsOur photographer snapped this picture of our wedding programs on the table with our wedding favors.

Our favors were our family’s favorite homemade cookies, displayed in a cookie jars lined with various fabrics. The cookie bar allowed guests to pick and choose the cookies of their choice to bring home to enjoy after the reception. 109_Details 107_DetailsMy mom was a lifesaver with this cookie bar. She lined all of the jars with fabrics we selected, made the scalloped labels and baked numerous batches of cookies. The end result had the homemade feel I wanted without looking sloppy. She’s a cookie bar star!

When our guests arrived at the cocktail hour before the reception, they found their names on a homemade escort board.066_Details064_DetailsInside the personalized envelopes were the guests’ seating assignments, noted by various loving words.

The loving words served as table names that were framed and propped against the beautiful floral centerpieces.075_Details079_DetailsRyan and I sat at a feast table with our entire bridal party and their dates. On the back of our chairs hung bride and groom signs made for us by my mother and sister.  080_Details081_DetailsOur menus contained the same wedding monogram found on the programs and cookie bar bags to help tie the whole look together. 093_Details068_DetailsAfter dinner, our female guests enjoyed kicking off their heels and slipping into the flip flops we had displayed in baskets that served as “dancin’ shoes.” 097_DetailsThe flip flops were tied together and stamped with the decorative numbers to make it easy for our guests to find the correct size.

I think the flip flops were a success, as the dance floor remained packed the entire night! 041_Dancing

To be continued…

(All photos courtesy of Gina Leigh.)

Comments

Everything looked beautiful and so pulled together Julie! In Pittsburgh, a “cookie table” is actually a must-have tradition! Many close friends and family bake their best cookies and display them all on a big table. Since my family isn’t from the area, but Joe’s is, we kept the table and added a framed note explaining the tradition, as well as to-go bags for people take with them at the end of the night.

2. Chelsea says

Very pretty!

Did you print the programs, menus, etc. yourself? I’m debating whether or not I should print my own and if so, what kind of printer I should get.

3. Alicia says

I hope you don’t mind I’m going to show this post to my sister who is getting married in august, she may want to use a few of these ideas, you guys did an awesome job, everything looks so professional and elegant!

4. Nicole (Picky Nicky) says

Cookie bar? Flip-flops? Those are such cute ideas :) Have I been living under a rock? I can’t believe this is the first time I hear of these :P Sounds like it was a gorgeous and unique reception :)

The cookie bar idea is GENIUS. I just have to say, I’ve loved how reflective and thoughtful these wedding recaps have been.

It makes me realize I have no idea what “feel” i’d want for my wedding. I know what I like when I see it, but I’m not necessarily the type to only like one style.

I love all of the details of your wedding from the monograms consistent throughout the wedding to the cookie jars, and the flip flops. Your wedding was truly unique and romantic. I have to say though, my favorite table is Hope. Why? Because my name is Hope :) Haha.

7. KV says

Hi! I love your blog and especially all the wedding recaps. Every last detail was perfect! I do have a question. Where did you get the fabric for the seating arrangements? I love finding fun prints and framing the fabric for different places in my house. Happy New Year! =)

8. Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter says

I love how you did that all on a budget! I love the idea of a cookie bar. You really did achieve the homemade look with out being sloppy.

• says

the symbol was actually a customized wedding monogram that we had made for free through the wedding chicks website! weddingchicks.com

it was the letter “f” for ryan’s last name with our wedding date underneath.

9. Sofia says

I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I have to say you have inspired me to eat better and workout more! Love the blog!
    I am planning a shower for my friend and I love the cookie bar that your mom helped with for your wedding. Do you know how she made those scalloped labels???

10. Kristi says

SO happy you did these recaps, I used a few of your ideas (bride and groom signs, monogram) in my wedding last month! Yours looked beautiful :)

11. Bethany @ Hello to the Good Life says

Your wedding recaps are VERY helpful! I have a question about invitations, when you sent them out how many weeks before the wedding did you request the response cards back by? We are doing our own invitations and I want to make sure they make it back with enough time!

12. Angie says

Hi Julie! I love the flip flops! I’m getting married in June at the beach and would love to do this for my guest. Where did you purchase the flip flops in bulk? Thanks!

13. Shannon says

Hey Julie – I love your wedding posts. We’ve also decided to do a cookie buffet. Weird questions for you – approx. how many cookies did you have, like 2-3 per person?

You may not remember, but what size frames did you use for the table names? I am deciding between a 5×7 and 4×6. I just don’t know if a 4×6 will be too small.

15. Lauren says

Hi Julie,
    I love all your cute wedding ideas! I am getting married this April and am totally stealing the cookie bar favor idea. Random question if you don’t mind me asking where did you get the wooden tongs?

16. Julia says

What a gorgeous wedding! I’m in the process of wedding planning and have enjoyed your wedding blog posts. Do you remember how many flip flops you purchased? I’m having a hard time guessing what an appropriate amount would be…

17. Heather says

How many days in advance did you start baking the cookies for the cookie bar? I was thinking about doing Cookie favors for my wedding and leaving them at each place setting…but I like the idea of multiple options for people so they can pick what they want!