Sugar ‘n’ Spice Pork

Sugar ‘n’ spice and all things nice. That’s what little girls are made of! baby2 It’s also what my dinner was made of. (And yes, that’s Baby Julie.)pork 010I couldn’t wait to make these smoky pan-grilled pork chops (with brown sugar!) ever since I saw the recipe in the latest issue of Cooking Light.

I’m not sure if it was a conscious effort on behalf of the Cooking Light team, but I loved how the first issue of 2011 seemed to have simpler recipes that call for more common ingredients and spices. Way to go!

For the most part I followed this recipe and it was so, so easy. We had dinner on the table in no time flat. pork 005I made the pork on the stove top with brown sugar and spices and couldn’t wait to dig in.pork 004We enjoyed our pork with roasted green beans and an apple on the side for a punch of fruity sweetness. It was a dinner winner!

Smoky Pan-Grilled Pork (Adapted from Cooking Light)

Ingredients:

• 1  tablespoon  cumin
  • 1  tablespoon  brown sugar
  • 1/2  teaspoon  paprika
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 4  (4-ounce) boneless center-cut pork chops
  • Cooking spray

Directions:

1. Combine ground cumin, sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper. Rub evenly over pork.

2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.

Comments

1. Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish says

Thanks for sharing this! I let my Cooking Light subscription lapse. After seeing this, I’ll so have to renew! :)

2. Laura @ Meet Virginia says

Aww, baby Julie is so cute! :)

I thought this recipe looked good when I saw it in Cooking Light. It looks even better now! Things like this make me slightly regret being a vegetarian. ;)

3. Laura says

Awesome! Thats generally why I dont like cooking mags because they always have something that I dont have around and it is a pain. So I love it when it is stuff I already have :)

4. Ashley @ 365 things says

Those pork chops look great! I’m always looking for something to do with pork and that looks really easy. Thanks!

5. elysie says

Just wanted to say thanks for the plyometric workout this morning! I wasn’t able to get to the gym the past 2 days and I’m really unmotivated to workout at home in general, but that was a good way to get in something. I would love any additional workouts like that, or at home weights workouts.

6. Lauren says

Wow! I am going to have to try this and post it on MY blog! It sounds so easy. I like the idea of using sugar but it’s not such a large amount that it changes the dish to being unhealthy. Thank you for posting this!

7. Valerie C. says

that is such a cute baby picture!!! The only way it could possibly be even cuter would be with a puppy sadie as a playmate ;)

awww I miss the power puff girls :( I don’t even think cartoon network shows it anymore. MOJOJOJO!!

I made these chops and green beans tonight for the family…they were gobbled up! Even my picky eatin’ kiddos enjoyed them!! There’s six of us, so we a little more than doubled the recipe. Such a yummy meal! Thanks!