Crock Pot Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Carrots

I love being hit with the scent of a delicious dinner the instant I walk through the door to our apartment. The smell of a homecooked meal elicits a feeling of comfort and home and makes me feel warm and cozy inside.

Though the smell of this evening’s dinner made my mouth water, I made sure to take Sadie outside for some exercise before digging in.

We headed out on a chilly walk around the neighborhood. curried chicken 046I’m not sure if the cold weather changed the scents on our typical loop, but Sadie had her nose glued to the ground and was sniffing like crazy during our entire walk.curried chicken 047I have a theory about dogs and their sniffing.

I think that when a scent come across their nose radar, they get a vision of what animal left the scent in their minds. Sort of like super-fast scent television. Don’t you think that would make smelling things a lot more interesting?

Once our walk was over, we came back home to the warmth of our apartment, ready for dinner.

Fortunately dinner tasted just as good as it smelled.

Thanks to a little prep work this morning, all I had to do was scoop some chicken and veggies out of the crock pot and dinner was on the table.curried chicken 009Before work, I sliced a sweet potato, onion and two carrots and threw them in the crock pot with soy sauce, chili paste, curry powder, chicken broth and two chicken breasts.

After cooking on low for 8 hours, the chicken was fork tender and the veggies were soft and ready for eatin’.curried chicken 044curried chicken 045Dinner was very good! Ryan and I think it would also be great with beef, mushrooms or other veggies of your choosing.

The broth flavor was very unique and a nice change from simple chicken broth. If you give it a go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Crock Pot Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Carrots

(Serves 2)

• 1 large sweet potato, cut into thick pieces
  • 2 large carrots, chopped into large pieces
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 can reduced sodium chicken broth (may add another 1/2 can if you prefer a more stew-like dinner)
  • 1 tbsp. chili paste with garlic (plain chili paste will also work)
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. curry powder (optional)

Combine chicken broth, chili paste, soy sauce and curry powder in the bottom of a crock pot. Add vegetables and chicken and cook on low 6 – 8 hours until chicken is fork tender. Enjoy!

Every time I read this title, my brain reads “Crack pot Chicken…”
    but the description and picture look so good, it may very well have crack in it! 🙂

Made this tonight…a little too spicy for me, so I will pass on the curry powder next time. My husband loved it though. I enjoyed all the flavors, except the spice…but totally a personal taste preference. 😉 We will be making this again. Thanks!

• Jen says

Thanks for the quick reply! I might try another vegetable. I have a small and bigger crock pot but am afraid the smaller one is too small. But I always worry that using a big one is dangerous if it’s not filled enough?

3. stefanie says

just found your blog via pinterest and LOVE it! i love making normal recipes healthy without having to fill my pantry with weird ingredients I’ve never heard of. so excited to try out your recipes on here! also, what kind of dog is Sadie? She’s beautiful! my hubby and I are currently debating what kind of dog to get and I’m dying to have one I can take out jogging with me…

4. Kaylyn says

Just so happend to have all of these ingredients in my kitchen– threw it all in the crockpot this morning and I can’t WAIT to get home for a finger lickin’ good dinner tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Jennifer says

This recipe looks amazing! Have you ever tried preparing this ahead of time and freezing it? Not sure if all the ingredients would freeze well…..but I have to be at work early, so I know that I won’t take the time to do the prep in the morning. Just curious.

6. Claire says

I discovered your post on Pinterest. This looks delicious! I’m looking forward to trying it. Did you use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or bone-in chicken breasts?

7. Melissa says

I’ve just started on the fitness wagon again after a horrible weigh in and feeling bad from the holiday season but this time I’ve decided to do it right! I’m expanding my healthy eating recipes so I don’t get bored and I’m trying this one tonight! Since I’m working tonight and then heading straight over to the boyfriends, I’m cooking it on high and taking some over there as I tend to snack on junk or have unhealthy meals at their house (tonights menu, pre-made burgers).
    Thanks so much for posting crock pot meals because it’s hard to find healthy ones these days! I’m adding a can of red kidney beans as well to give it more body so I’m not tempted to have rice with it like I usually do and when I start on rice….
    I just wanted to say thank you for the motivation, inspiration and the healthy mindset, it is impossible to eat healthy 100% of the time, we are goign to go out for dinner and have parties but as long as we eat well 90-95% of the time we can be happy and healthy 😀

8. Kacie says

I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to try it out! It was yummy! Quick question though, what is the oz. on the chicken broth can you used? Mine turned out almost like a soup.