Chocolate Protein Granola

Boy oh boy do I have a recipe for you!

I did some experimenting in the kitchen late this morning and the result yielded a delicious batch of chocolatey granola that packs a protein punch.granola 024I started by combining honey, water, canola oil, brown sugar and coconut extract. I added cocoa powder and chocolate protein powder to the mix before pouring the chocolatey liquid on top of two cups of oats.granola 014

granola 016Stir, stir, stir.granola 020After baking in the oven for about 20 minutes, the granola was ready for eating. granola 023The granola came out flavorful, crunchy and oh-so-chocolatey. I ate about half of it on the spot! granola 027

Chocolate Protein Granola

(Makes four half-cup servings)

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp. honey
  • 3 tbsp. water
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp. coconut extract (vanilla extract will also work)
  • 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 2 c. old fashioned oatmeal

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine honey, water, brown sugar, oil and extract in a small bowl until mixed. Stir in cocoa powder and protein powder until fully combined.
  • Pour chocolate mixture on top of oats and stir until oats are coated.
  • Spread onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway.

Though this granola tastes delicious on its own, I think it would taste phenomenal sprinkled onto of yogurt or ice cream or even enjoyed with milk like cereal.

granola 025

But the fun doesn’t stop there! This granola wasn’t the only tasty think I made today.

Since Ryan and I were both feeling a little lazy this morning, we wanted comfort food for breakfast.

On weekend mornings my mom would often make German pancakes for our family to enjoy while chatting away in our pajamas. German pancakes are so simple to make but look elaborate and taste fantastic.

I followed this recipe to make German pancakes for me and Ryan and within 20 minutes we had a hot breakfast to enjoy. granola 004granola 002Served with syrup…granola 006

granola 007granola 009The rest of the day was spent at church and the farmer’s market. granola 031

granola 034granola 032The best quote from our trip to the farmer’s market came from a little boy who saw Sadie and then tugged on his mother’s jacket saying, “Mama, I didn’t know dogs wore clothes.”

“Well, um, sometimes they do,” she said.

Yes, sometimes they do. Smile

Ryan and I are planning to spend the rest of the day at home, straightening up the house and finishing Catching Fire. This weekend is going by toooooo fast!

Comments

1. Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter says

Great recipe for granola! I never thought about making it all chocolately :)

2. Gill (snaxandthecity) says

wow that looks great! I’m always down for chocolate in the mornings!
    Haha i love that kid’s comment on Sadie…hilarious! She did look cute tho!

Oh that granola sounds amazing, but I feel like it would be bad news if I made it because that stuff is like crack to me! And I personally think that Sadie is a very stylish dog. If any pup can pull off a pink sweater, it’s her :)

the german pancakes look stellar!

and the granola!! LOVE The idea!

I have a “recipe” from chocolate protein popcorn. I add protein powder to my popcorn and get it to stick by using coconut oil or you can use nonstick spray. Plus cinny, stevia, etc. I love your idea! :)

5. *Andrea* says

that granola recipe looks soooo good! i need to make it! i only have vanilla protein powder but maybe some extra chocolate powder would work.

cute pics from this weekend! your shirt was so pretty

6. Samantha says

I’ve never seen anyone eat Enfonkuchan with syrup. (my mom’s gReman and that is what they call pancakes.)

If you want to try something new sprinkle light sugar on tpo of the pancake, roll it like a burrito and dip pieces in applesauce. That’s how my German family enjoys them.

7. Allison says

That granola looks so good! I will definitely be making a batch soon. I bet it would be tasty with some peanut butter added in. Chocolate & PB is my favorite flavor combo.

I’m so excited to try this chocolatey granola! I’ve been a HUGE fan of your blog for quite some time now. I just love reading your posts. You give me so many great ideas.

9. Jackie @ Seejacrun says

I love German pancakes. When I was little, we would always have them for special occasions like birthdays and sleepovers- we’d roll them and sprinkle powder sugar on top :) That granola looks delicious, can’t wait to make it!

10. Mei says

Hi! I love your blog by the way! I was just wondering the same thing as another poster…What kind of protein powder do you use? Which ones have you tried? Any favorites? Thanks!

11. Jessica says

I enjoyed some Greek yogurt, a tablespoon of the pumpkin butter and your chocolate granola for breakfast this morning. SOOOOOOOOOO good!!!

lol “feeling a little lazy”… that wouldn’t be code for hangover, would it? Gah, I know after I have a big night I usually don’t feel to great. I just can’t do it like I did back in college! I feel so old at 25 (except not really…)

That granola looks amaaazeballs! I wish I weren’t glued to my desk at work right now b.c. I want to make that, STAT!

and yes, sometimes dogs do in fact where clothes (and dress up as footballs on sundays… not like that happens to happy… every sunday…. and every saturday when there’s a good college game…)

LOVE this recipe for the granola!!! oh i’m totally gonna make it and i have this balsamic glaze that would probably be amazing in the mix too :) thanks girl!

14. Erica says

I love this granola! I made a vanilla almond variation of it earlier today and it was fantastic. Thank you so much for the recipe.

I swapped out the cocoa, chocolate protein powder and honey for a full scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder and agave, respectively. I also doubled the ‘wet’ part of the recipe (one batch wasn’t enough to coat all the oats – likely due to my substitutions) – as a happy accident that was then enough liquid for me to add about 1/3c slivered almonds. I think I ate a full quarter of the batch before it even had a chance to cool.

This recipe is definitely a keeper; delicious and deceptively filling, whats not to love?

15. Lori Delgado says

Hi I LOVE homemade granola and especially love chocolate! This looks and sounds great. Question, I don’t have or use protein powder so is there anything to sub it with? Thanks!

16. Joanna says

Just made the chocolate protein granola & WOW!! So good!! Definitely a new favorite, thank you for such an easy, awesome recipe! :O)

17. charlene says

First let me say I just started reading your blog and I am really enjoying it and am inspired by your journey.

I just made this granola and my kids and I are hooked! Yumma! I added some peanut butter to it cuz we are peanut butter addicts and it is amazing.

Happy blogging and I look forward to tomorrow’s : )

Hey I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking
    on Aol for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say
    thanks a lot for a marvelous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the
    theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment
    but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up
    the great jo.

Howdy would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning
    to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.

P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Ie.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed
    soon. Many thanks

21. Karen says

About how much is 1/2 scoop of protein powder? I usually use powdered egg whites instead of commercial protein powders in my smoothies etc. so I have no idea how big or little their scoops are.