Racing Mind

Last week’s yoga class reaffirmed my body’s need for deeper stretching.

I woke up nice and early this morning do knock out 35 minutes of cardio on the elliptical before heading into a morning yoga class offered at my gym.

Ready to Streeeetch

Walking into class, I had one of those R. Kelly moments, where “my mind’s tellin’ me no, but my body, mah booooody’s telling me yeeees!”Β  My mind was all over the place and said not to take the class, but my body wanted a good stretch.

I took my place on my mat and tried my best to get into all of the poses. I loved the stretching and knew my body was happy, but my brain would not shut up. I had a million odd thoughts running through my mind, including:

• Oh my gosh, my legs are so hairy!
  • I have the tightest hamstrings known to man.
  • I wish that lady to my right wasn’t so darn close to me.
  • Seriously. She’s practically on my mat.
  • Shoulder stands are the besssst! They’re easy but make me feel like I’ve got skillz.
  • Holy hamstrings.
  • Oh, that lady has lululemon pants. Lulu-leeeeemon.
  • Yoga would be 10 times cooler if every other pose didn’t focus on hamstrings.
  • I should wear my hair in a bun next time. This ponytail is annoying.
  • What should I make for dinner tonight?
  • I hope Ryan doesn’t look into this class right now. My butt is contorted in an extremely unattractive way.
  • I like this music. It reminds me of Enya.
  • Maybe it is Enya?
  • I need a tan. Badly.

Suffice it to say I think I failed at the “quieting the mind” aspect of yoga today.

Walk + Breakfast

I came home to a dog that was ready to walk. I let her out in our backyard while I went to grab a scarf and when I returned she did not look amused.

"Could You TAKE Any Longer?

I think my efforts to bundle up took a little too long for her liking.

Once we were both cozy in our respective fleeces (North Face for me Martha Stewart Pets for Sadie), we headed out for a one-mile walk.

It took Sadie a little longer than usual to find a stick that she fancied, but when she did, she and the stick quickly became best friends for life.

"Best Friends FOREVERRR!"

They were like the mean girls in school and apparently made some sort of a pack to exclude me from all the fun.

"Ohmigod! We Should Get Those BFF NECKLACES!!!"

So I took Sadie’s stick and broke it over my knee. You will be MY friend, dog!

Okay, okay, just kidding.

Once the three of us were finished walking, we headed in for breakfast. (Stick friend stayed outside.)

TOTALLY Original!

Check out my totally original breakfast! πŸ˜€

For the third time this week, I dug into my favorite breakfast bagelwich.

Muenster for Me

Take a Bite, Puh-lease

I know I’ve been raving about these cinnamon raisin bagel thins, but I should probably add that I don’t think they’re unbelievably amazing without the gooey, melted cheese. It’s the combination of the cheese with the sweetness of the bagel thin that I adore so much.

I wonder if I could take this down in two bites...

Hi ho, hi ho…

Motivational Mantra of the Day

You don’t HAVE to exercise. You GET to exercise. (Kimberly)

Of Possible Interest

Comments

I’ve always struggled with shutting my mind off during yoga. I think it takes a lot of practice.

I love the quote. Isn’t it awesome to know that we CAN exercise! I have a fit enough body, and I don’t have an injury, so I can exercise. I know I took this for granted for far too long, and experienced serious sadness when I couldn’t exercise for several weeks due to a hip tear.

• says

i honestly now look at my experience with hip bursitis as a blessing in disguise. i was so, so upset and honestly cried all the time because i couldn’t even WALK without pain. now i know the ability to exercise is truly a gift.

I think this post is why I haven’t gotten into yoga. While yes, it is good for you and I definitely could use a bit more stretching. My brain always goes off in a million diff directions when i’m working out, but it’s part of why I love to work out. :)

3. Gillian says

I loved this post, my mind is so similar during yoga. My small bladder also usually means I spend half the class thinking about racing to the bathroom!

Definitely can’t quiet my mind…ever really. :) Whenever Ryan and I take classes together I always make him stand in front of me so he can’t see how awkward I look from behind. Haha.

OMG BFF necklaces? Oh man, middle school was the worst. I think I had like five pairs of those things, though, and in some cases, I remember having to keep them secret so I didn’t hurt someone else’s feelings.

6. steph says

hahahahha my mind runs whenever i do yoga too !! do you recommend doing yoga before cardio or cardio before yoga ? i always feel i get a better workout if i do yoga BEFORE.

I have been trying to quiet my mind and meditate every night for 5-10 minutes. So far, I think that meditating stresses me out! Good idea on trying this in the morning instead of after a long, busy day at work!!

This comment is on the link you posted at the end of your post, “5 awesome overlooked cardio machines”.

HELLO STAIRMASTER!!!

I rediscovered this machine about 3 weeks ago and it has been wonderfully kicking my butt ever since. It is seriously such a good cardio workout as well as leg workout. You’re truly getting a two for one workout with this machine. Real leg work plus cardio– can’t go wrong.
    Especially because a lot of ladies forget that just doing straight cardio doesn’t necessarily always burn a lot of calories throughout the day. This baby will help fix that problem up real quick let me tell you!

Oooh you and I are yoga soul sisters! I was laughing to myself reading your thoughts. When I did practice, it took a few weeks to get into just being in the moment. Although your qualms with hamstrings = mine with downward facing dog. So. Many. Perhaps my only thought is, “Another one?? WHY?!?”

10. Brooke says

both your bagel thins and sandwich thins were featured on Kathie Lee and Hoda on the Today show this morning! you must be on to something!

11. Casey says

This post was hilarious Julie. :) I totally agree about quieting my mind during yoga…there’s so much emphasis on it, the opposite starts happening. Every time they say something about emptying your mind, brand new thoughts just jump in there. I’m not so great at yoga. :)

12. Lucy says

For everyone that cant turn their mind off in yoga you all need to try BIKRAM yoga. Not just “hot yoga” but actual bikram (theres a difference). I have never been able to turn my mind off in yoga and quite frankly have never wanted to, I’m just not into that Om stuff. Then I discovered bikram and its like the best thing ever. Most instructors are hardcore and they pretty much yell at you “GO BACK, LEAN BACK, FAR BACK, ALL THE WAY BACCCCKKK!” its awesome haha. Its more of that hardcore workout feeling that I bet you all feel like youre missing in regular yoga class (I know I do). Anyways, just a thought!

I don’t know if this fits in with all of your other motivational mantras but I really like it and thought I would share!

“I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.” -Indian Proverb

I don’t really know why but it helps me get through challenging runs/workouts, and it just motivates me in general! :) Happy Thursday!

I have noticed that with me if I take yoga in the morning my mind races like CRAZY. But if I take yoga in the evening hours it’s much more calmer. perhaps that’s the case here? but it also does take a good amount of practice for quieting the mind so it could just be that too. LOL!!!

haha, i totally feel like that every single time i have tried yoga – so eventually i just decided that its not really for me. running clears my mind more i think?? thats cuz im watching tv on the tread and not thinking. lol.

sadie is too cute – hahahha “are u ready yet?” tooooo funny. i love you narrations

You are hilarious this morning πŸ˜€ You definitely gave me a FEW good laughs. Thank you SO much, I REALLY needed it this morning…it’s been a really bad morning…tears & all. But this cheered me right up! You are the best :)

We have the same yoga problem. I love the stretch, but I just can’t “zen” line I’m supposed to. The gym I go to near my parents’ house used to have a “stretch and strengthen” class, which I LOVED- yoga-like poses but with more of an emphasis on repairing muscles for athletes- but it got replaced with another yoga class. So annoying! I’m not a patient enough of a person for yoga.

Hahah I am the same way in yoga classes!! I always wonder how the people next to me seem to get so into it and I have trouble leaving everything outside of the studio like they tell us to. At least I usually leave feeling better!

I had the same problem in Body Flow yesterday! Even when I can’t relax, it still feels good.

P.S. I mentioned you on my yogurt/fitness pack giveaway today (you introduced me to the Jell-O/Greek yogurt combo)!

20. Jessica says

Umm so how about I never understood how you got up so early to get movin and do everything that you do. Now I get it! I’ve gotten up and worked out every day this week before work and I have so much more energy! This morning I did dishes and made the bf breakfast in bed after my workout. Go team! PS. I thought you chopped off your hair in the last picture, I thought oh that’s so cute! You didn’t…your hair is there in case you didn’t already know…still cute, just not chopped off lol.

Ohhh wow what a powerful quote! And it’s so, so true… I do tend to think about how blessed I am that I have two legs that allow me to run.

Anywho, your mind sounds EXACTLY like mine when I attempt yoga. In fact, that’s probably why I find it so hard to get into yoga… my mind is always racing! I need to practice it more so I can learn to be “more present” and not thinking about rando stuff like my to-do list.

I have SAS (short attention span) too!! Which is why, even though I got a yoga mat for Christmas, I still have not used it. Also, Sadie is so adorable. She reminds me so much of Riley (our girl Vizsla) because they are obsessed with sticks. Enzo (boy Vizsla) could care less until Riley gets one then he flips his alpha switch and it’s on like donkey kong.

23. Lauren says

I agree about the cinnamon bagel thins! I only like them toasted with almond butter! I have to try the cheese thing :)

Have you ever used a foam roller? You keep mentioning tight hamstrings.. I have the same problem and have been using a foam roller for 3 weeks now.. the thing is AMAZING! It really, really helps with tight muscles in your whole entire body. I found one at Target for $20.. sooo totally worth it!!

I am the same way during yoga! I think that’s the hardest part for me – my mind starts racing with thoughts and the worst is that I tend to get the giggles! The more I try to take it seriously the harder it is to be serious. Although giggling is still better than what i have witnessed others do in class…

25. Leah says

This post reminded me of this quote:

I was in yoga the other day. I was in full lotus position. My chakras were all aligned. My mind is cleared of all clatter and I’m looking out of my third eye and everything that I’m supposed to be doing. It’s amazing what comes up, when you sit in that silence. ‘Mama keeps whites bright like the sunlight, Mama’s got the magic of Clorox 2.’
    -Ellen DeGeneres’

I <3 you & Ellen. Miss you!

26. Paula says

ahhh! That is the exact reason I don’t like yoga! I can’t seem to clear my head and end up stressing over it rather than relaxing. I find it alot easier to clear my head when I am lifting or doing cardio.
    Also I am pretty sure you do not have the tightest hamstrings in the world…those would be mine :-)

I’m not sure I would call it pain, but it’s not enjoyable. I’ve always had freakishly tight hamstrings and I’ve kind of learned to deal with the discomfort. It’s actually the muscles/tendons right behind my knees that seem to be the most tight. They feel so tight that I’m afraid they’re going to snap. Oy.

28. laura says

I would love to see you do some sort of “daily morning routine” because you do more stuff before work than I do before 2:00pm!! What time do you wake up? How long does it take you to get ready? What time do you have to be in work by?

29. Amelia says

I love yoga too for the stretching my body craves but I usually can’t quiet my mind. Even with a Restorative Yoga class (awesome, relaxing class! lots of props with the purpose of just purposeful relaxation) I struggle with shutting my thoughts off. :)

I love your motivational mantra today! It’s similar to one of my favorites – It’s a priviledge to run today. I remind myself of that often!!

Your sandwich looks so yummy! I have been looking for the blueberry Bagel Thins at every store I go to and haven’t been able to find them yet. Soon I hope!

I love your blog and identify with you because I think we are very alike! I live in Seattle but I bet if I were in FL we would be friends. :)

I TOTALLY had this same experience this morning! I take a yoga class for credit (I go to the University of Alabama!) and since the teacher is in the beginning stages of teaching all of the poses to those who aren’t familiar with yoga, it has been going suuuuuper slow. I am used to fast-paced vinyasa/Fitness and she has us lying in corpse for 10 minutes. Today my thoughts looked like this:

“I’m hungry. Man, my stomach is growling. I’ll get a smoothie. How much longer? I hope I can get to history on time. My stomach is growling. I need to call Jane. Angel Food smoothie, that’s what I’ll get. I hope nobody here is offended by the hair on my legs. I’m really hungry.”

And so on!

32. Amanda says

Julie

You are hilarious. You just made my day. Glad I’m not the only one that fails at ‘quiet mind’ yoga. When I was at university my day dreams usually consisted of

– if I slipped off this mat, would that be their negligence? Or my failure to take due care? (law student…)

– Hmmm, wish there weren’t guys working out upstairs on the mezzanine above… this downward dog ain’t doin’ much for my butt

– I’m hungry. I’m def having PB on my toast this morning.

– Could she make us do this tree pose for any longer?…. I wonder what type of tree I would be if I were a tree…An oak?

Haha! You crack me up with your random thoughts during yoga! I’ve only taken one class, but I was the EXACT same way!

Love the motivational mantra! Definitely a better perspective!