Baked Pancake

My sister arrived in Orlando for the evening late last night. We had a great time catching up and chatting like we always do whenever we’re together.

Leslie is a college senior which obviously means that she still possesses the ability to sleep past 8 a.m. on weekends. Since that art was lost a long time ago on me and Ryan (and Sadie, though I’m not sure she ever had that talent), we woke up a bit early and got started on breakfast while Leslie was sleeping.

baked pancake 002

Whenever we have a guest stay with us, I like to make a comforting breakfast and figured pancakes are always a hit!

I was feeling a little creative, I decided to try my hand at a pancake cake.

I combined the following: to serve two (Ryan made himself eggs):

• 1 c. Bisquick Heart Smart mix
  • 3/4 c. almond milk (regular milk will also work)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/4 c. slivered almonds + more for garnish

I poured the mix into a loaf pan and let it bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes.

baked pancake 004

baked pancake 006

After topping the baked pancake with syrup, we dug in.

baked pancake 016

baked pancake 020

This random little experiment paid off!

Both my sister and I really enjoyed the baked pancake cake.

baked pancake 022

I bet it would be really delicious with chocolate chips and bananas incorporated into the batter as well.

In case you’re in the market for a yummy Sunday morning breakfast of a different variety, here are some of my favorites:

Time to change before church!

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. Smile

Comments

i love turning traditional things into something even cooler! Im more impressed you had your creative thinking cap on that early-I’m still a wonky sleepy head until I’ve been up for a few hours!

2. Emily says

Girl you’re so creative! I love pancakes, but an idea like this would never pop into my mind. Even if it did, I would have no idea how to go about actually making it! Props! Haha, you’re so right though, chocolate chips and bananas would up the ante for sure. Have a fun time with your sister!

3. Jenah says

Hi! I love your blog and read it ALL the time! This morning was so hilarious because after cooking breakfast for me and the hubby I went to your blog and saw BAKED PANCAKES!!! I did the same thing this morning! I thought I was the ONLY one in the world baking a pancake for breakfast. I baked it because I wanted to put it in one of those disposable heart-shaped pans for an early Valentines Day breakfast. I also made some cream cheese icing from scratch and spread ito n top. It ended up tasting SOOOO good and the texture was great!! Love your blog btw! The best one I have come accross :) Take care!

That looks delicious! I would probably actually eat pancakes if I could make them this way. I’m always too impatient to actually stand at the stove to make them for breakfast :)

GENIUS! I wanted to make pancakes for Vday tomorrow but since my boyfriend works at 8 am I figured I wouldn’t have time, but this would probably be faster since you don’t have to stand there and flip multiple batches of cakes!

how brilliant is that? you’re so creative.

this recipe seems especially great for someone like me, who always manages to mess pancakes up by burning one side or not spraying even non-stick to the pan…

7. Jenny says

I saw this post yesterday and started craving pancakes…I obviously had to make this for dinner!! I added in some banana and it turned out amazing. Will definitely be making this again…and soon!

I just made this today and it was amazing… the only thing I did change was that I used walnuts in it instead of the almonds because I didn’t have any. Thank you for a great breakfast :)

9. Natasha says

My husband and I LOVE a baked “puff pancake” that I think you and Ryan would enjoy–it has a lot of egg and not a lot of flour, so it keeps you full forever! We like it with a thinly sliced apple or banana on the bottom or strawberries on top. It’s usually sweet enough that you don’t need to, but sometimes I like to dust it with powdered sugar :o) I like to do it in a cast iron skillet so that I can saute the fruit and bake it in the same dish. This http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Big-Apple-Pancake-230981 is a good basic recipe. I use 3/4 c room-temp whole milk instead of just 1/2 c, though…and forget the blender–it works just fine to do it in a mixing bowl with a whisk!

10. ashley says

i just made your baked pancake for my husband i this morning. i didn’t have any almonds but i put in blueberries and it was so yummy…..we finished the whole pan!!!