Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats

This morning we awoke to pouring rain, thunder and lightening… aka the perfect “stay curled up in bed” weather.

Unfortunately my workout wouldn’t go complete itself, so I dragged my butt out of bed and into the gym.

Once there, I hopped on the stair master for 10 minutes before completing one round of my favorite cardio blast workout in the gymnasium.

Then it was treadmill time!

I alternated running with some intense incline walking for 20 minutes. In the end, my workout looked like this:

Minutes Incline Speed
0 – 5 2.0 6.5
5 – 8 10.0 4.0
8 – 13 2.0 6.5
13 – 16 10.0 4.0
16 – 18 2.0 6.5
18 – 20 8.0 4.0

I was sufficiently sweaty by the end!

I rounded out my workout with 15 minutes on the elliptical with two old issues of Cooking Light magazine from 2008.

2011-03-31_06-34-59_369

Apparently my gym’s magazine rack had the seasons confused today because most of the mags seemed to be from the fall and winter!

I left the gym craving a big ham dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy and pecan pie!

Even though I sprinted to our apartment from the gym (it’s about a 1.5 minute walk from our place to our gym), I still got completely soaked in the pouring rain.

My gym shoes were sopping wet and I looked like I had just jumped out of the shower.

I quickly showered and changed into some rainy day clothes (hello, my beloved Hunter boots!) before heading into the kitchen for breakfast.

Breakfast was quite easy this morning thanks to some prep work last night.

After dinner yesterday, I made myself a big bowl of pumpkin pie overnight oats by combining the following:

• 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/2 c. almond milk
  • 3 oz. vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1/2 c. canned pumpkin
  • Pumpkin pie spice
  • Nutmeg

It was a great comforting breakfast for a rainy morning.

Time to make a beeline for my car and hope I don’t get completely drenched on the way into work!

Comments

I think it’s fun to read older magazines 🙂 Kind of interesting how things change, especially within “health” focused magazines!

The weather sucks here too and I definitely needed a good and warm breakfast to get out of bed, ha! Yours looks amazing!

Enjoy your day, don’t get soaked!!

That sounds delicious Julie! I love bulking out my oats with pumpkin but I haven’t had it since December-ish – maybe I overdosed a bit but I’d certainly love a little pumpkin in my life right now! I hope your weather gets better, but like you said, at least you get to wear your Hunters!

3. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

Our gym has only old magazines too — I don’t mind, they are new to me!

I have a hard time getting out of bed when it is storming out — makes me want to call in sick and stay in bed!

I admire you for getting out of bed and walking to the gym even in the crappy weather. I am so bad about that. If the weather stinks, I am probably sleeping in. I wish I was more motivated to get moving! It’s inspiring to hear other people on the go, no matter what’s happening outside.

I just can’t get into pumpkin in my oats… maybe I’m not doing something right? Yours look awesome though! They’d fit in great with our weather right now- snow showers and rain. Ick! I’ll have to rock the boots too!

6. Adrie says

i am totally making this tonight for breakfast tomorrow!! would’ve gone well with today’s rainy day, but i’m sure it will be just fine for a friday!

7. jackie r says

hi julie! wow that pumpkin oats looks so delicious!!

i wanted to thank you for posting your treadmill workouts!!, i really do use your intervals sometimes 🙂 i’m coming off running a 1/2 marathon two months ago and have stayed in shape physically, however my endurance isn’t too great anymore when it comes to running. it’s nice to see that you’re able to combine walking, running and using the elliptical at the gym and still maintain fitness levels. for me it’s hard to let go of the mentality that running for miles and miles is the best/only way to keep in shape.

8. kat says

thats so convenient that your gym is so close by! is it part of your apartment complex? or do you just have a gym ridiculously close to where you live?

9. Marlo says

Those oats look like Mac and Cheese!! Yummy!!

Your gym has a good magazine selection.. Mine was always sports illustrated or family magazines.. ugh!

10. Amber K says

Wow your gym offers a lot of magazines! I subscribe to my own so I can always bring one with me because neither of the gyms I go to offer any.

So sorry that you got soaked! You totally made me remember when it started pouring while I was at a theme-park years ago and let’s just say having a 2 hour drive home in very wet jeans is NOT fun! lol

I’ve only made overnight oats once and didn’t like them. Your recipe looks great so I’ll have to give it another shot!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

I love the pumpkin oats! They look so comforting and tasty on a rainy gross day like today. It’s really gross outside here too. I want the spring weather already 🙂

13. Mae says

I love to make overnight oats, but so far I haven’t been able to wait until morning, and I always end up eating them as a midnight snack! Do you have any tips on how to be patient and wait? Ha ha.

One of the things that I LOVE about my gym is that they get subscriptions to all the good magazines, and amazingly people don’t take them…every month there’s new Shape, Self, Vogue, W, Runner’s World, and then a bunch of manly ones. I love it!

I was reading a magazine on the elliptical once when I was in college and this snarky big lady walked by me and said “If you can read, you’re not working hard enough.” I wanted to tell her I was cooling down from a 4 mile run, but I kept it to myself. Some people are so RUDE !

Sounds like you guys got the weather we had last week! It went from stormy last week to the mid 80’s this week..crazy! This oatmeal totally just reminded me that I have pumpkin hiding in my cupboard..yesss!!

17. Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily says

Way to go! It’s hard to get movtivated when there is the potential of getting soaked in the rain in mere minutes.

18. Amelia says

I haven’t even finished reading your post but I have a question…what type of almond milk do you buy? I’ve tried Blue Diamond vanilla no sugar added and it’s okay. I like it better when it’s in a smoothy or in oatmeal but it’s not my fave in cold cereal.

Man…I love pumpkin and have got to try making pumpkin oats again. It reminds me of fall but I could eat pumpkin any season, everyday!

19. Taryn says

Just wanted to stop and leave a comment saying that you have inspired me!

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and never thought that I could drag myself out of bed to work out at the crack of dawn like you do. This week I had a super busy evening schedule every day, so I decided on Sunday that I’d give going to the gym pre-work a shot. And guess what? I absolutely LOVE it! While during the winter I find it really difficult to get motivated to do ANYthing, now that spring is in the air and I’ve got a bit more pep in my step, over the past few days I’ve realized that I actually go to bed EXCITED to cross exercise off of my to do list before I’ve even eaten breakfast.

So, thanks for the inspiration, Julie! If it wasn’t for you, I probably never would have even given it a go.

Have you ever had the overnight oats after leaving them in the fridge for two nights?(overnight, overnight oats?:)) I made these yesterday and ended up eating regular oatmeal this am bc I wasn’t at home. BUT, I gave these a quick taste when I got home and I like ’em. Yay! So, I’m just trying to decide if I should toss these and start over, or if I can eat them tomorrow morning. I wasn’t sure if this would make them super mushy.