I arrived home from work this evening in the mood to bake! Since I gave up sweets for Lent, I faced a bit of a handicap as I headed into the kitchen. I wanted something sweet that didn’t qualify as a dessert.
First my mind went to banana bread, but I only had one banana on hand and it was frozen.
Then a little jar of Kelapo coconut oil that the company sent to me earlier this week caught my eye from the pantry.
Oats + coconut oil + honey… Sounds like a recipe for some sweet and tasty granola if you ask me!
I preheated the oven and got crack-a-lackin’ in the kitchen, determined to have a fresh batch of granola to bring with me to snack on during Ryan’s late-night soccer game this evening.
After combining all the usual granola ingredients and baking the mixture in the oven for around 15 minutes, I had a fresh batch of coconut granola.
Gotta throw it in a baggie and hit the road! Ryan’s game starts SOON!
Coconut Granola (Makes 4 small servings, 1/4 c. each)
- 1 c. old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and coconut extract. Continue whisking until ingredients are combined.
- Add oats to the honey mixture. Stir in chia seeds until oats and seeds are coated in the honey mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 8 minutes before flipping the granola and baking for another 3 – 5 minutes.
In the mood for coconut?
Here are some other delicious coconut creations: