We’re All Stressed

I learned something important from you guys after publishing my afternoon post.

We’re all stressed.

Everyone has something in their life that causes them some kind of worry. Oddly enough, it makes me feel a little better knowing that we’re all in this crazy game together.

Your tips for overcoming stress were wonderful, and I highly recommend checking out the comments section of this afternoon’s post if you’re looking for great ways to combat stress.

Though I touched on my preference toward music and asking myself questions that put the severity of the situation into perspective, when it comes to dealing with stress, I left out my number one de-stressor:

DSC_0542

Sadie.

After work today, when I opened the door to our apartment and saw her scrawny little body swaying back and forth because her tail was wagging so hard, I exhaled and felt at home. Sadie’s joyous attitude is infectious and she simply wouldn’t let me feel tense.

DSC_0551

And when Sadie teams up with Ryan, everything in my world feels right again. Smile

DSC_0543

Dinner

After a mentally trying day, I wasn’t in the mood to put a ton of effort into dinner, so I turned to the freezer and grabbed something easy.

I microwaved two frozen Starkist SeaSations fish filets for me and Ryan to eat alongside roasted green bean fries and buttered garlic toast prepared on a whole wheat sandwich thin.

I waited for the beans to cook while playing with Sadie in the backyard. And then it started raining.

Tonight is actually the perfect night for a little rain. I’m in the mood to cuddle up with my little family and the pitter patter of rain drops makes our night on the couch feel all the more cozy and comforting.

Time to relax.

P.S. The Fashion page was updated this evening!

Comments

Glad you are having a stress-free evening. :) My pup totally put a smile on my face when I walked in the door tonight, too! I also got in a fierce run which put the icing on the stress-free cake. ;)

I meant to comment that pets are the best stress reliever, but I got too caught up in rattling off my stress stories! Shame on me :) I have a kitty, her name is Ezra, and she’s my life!!! I think she was a dog in another life. She acts just like one (which is perfect!) and there’s nothing better than coming home to her. When she cuddles up on my lap and starts purring, all my stress just melts away … knowing I’m making her happy makes me happy!!!

Animal lovers = the best :)

3. Chelsea says

Im definately feeling the stress right now, I have 5 finals starting tomorrow in 7 seven days and they’re all back to back excluding the weekend! not to mention i have the hardest final on my birthday tomorrow :( I wish i had a sadie to play with, destress and take a study break with! although i dont’ have one of my own i definately agree animals really help destress and I often go to the SPCA to play with the puppies and kitties there! hope your day goes better tomorrow!
    ps LOVE the blog!

Isn’t it amazing how good a pup can make you feel. Pets can be such a stress buster! I hope your night at home cuddling with Sadie and Ryan make you feel better!

Sounds like your day has ended on a great note! I think I’m going to print off the comments section from your last post because I really loved reading the other readers’ responses! And now…. I also think I need a dog! :) Have a great evening Julie!

Well – Stress is my middle name girl!

Seriously, though there are 2 camps to stress. A good stress. And a bad stress. Prolonged, repetitive “bad” stress can really be serious and should be addressed.

I know ;( BUT – alas, I want your pup – just looking at him helps me :)

And, yes, music is good. But NOT melancholy music! I find putting on Coldplay will leave me in tears ;) But something upbeat or poppy gets me up and dancing (like a crazy lady) everytime.

Ohh Julie you make me feel so sane! Your last job sounds exactly like my current job, and I’m considering either going back to school part-time and taking a pay cut or just finding another job completly and taking a pay cut. It’s sooo scary to think about walking away, but I definitely need to find a job that’s a better fit for me. I think it was you who said “I don’t want to wish away 5 days out of my week” and that has totally stuck with me!!!

• says

yes! it’s so, so true. i’m so glad you’re looking for a new opportunity. i promise you won’t look back. you can’t miss something you never, ever enjoyed or something that caused you so much strife. good luck!!

8. Maggie says

I really enjoy your blog and find you so optimistic yet realistic. Thank you for giving me something to look forward to reading every day!

I feel the exact same way. My dog is my saving grace. Everyone should have a dog in their life. It makes me feel so loved. For my Rascal, the sun rises and sets on my shoulders. He’s my joy. My husband is pretty awesome too. ;)

You’re a champ, I love how positive you try to stay. I’d never thought about listening to upbeat “happy tunes” when I’m really feeling the stress– great idea!

I hope that you get through your week without feeling too overwhelmed. Hang in there! :)

11. Emily says

Hope your day is better tomorrow! If it makes you feel any better, I’m going to be up into the weee hours of the morning working on two Spanish essays about 19th/20th century Spanish lit. woooopdee-freaking-dooo

12. Brittany says

Since you are such a “sandwich thin” queen, try and find the NEW PEPPERIDGE FARM GOLDISH sandwich thins.. everything is the same..but the shape!

“I’m in the mood to cuddle up with my little family and the pitter patter of rain drops makes our night on the couch feel all the more cozy and comforting.” That sounds like the PERFECT way to end a stressful day. I know just laying down with Joshua (my boy) and listening to the rain drops talking about our day is so relaxing to me <3 Specially when you know you have someone so willing to listen.

My little pup’s name is Mitzi and she certainly is a calming presence in my life. (Not to mention my little kitties — Millie and Oliver.) So nice to have a friend (or 3) who will listen and love you no matter what. Pets are wonderful!

15. Karla says

I LOVE your blog Julie! While I was just getting ready for work, I thought of a question for you…you because your recipes on here always look so yummy! What are your’s and Ryan’s all-time favorite recipes that you make. I will be getting married soon and I am looking for recipes that will impress my soon-to-be husband! :)

I’m happy to hear that you are feeling better! My little toy poodle is my #1 de-stressor, as well. I can be nothing, but happy when I look at her cute little face :)

Great post Julie. I struggle with that overwhelming feeling of stress too… Ernest and Clay relieve my stress. It is that unconditional love =) Hope today is better than yesterday!

18. Angela says

YOUR blog is a fun stress reliever :) I look forward to all of your posts!
    My BEST stress reliever is spending time with my one year old son. His smile can chase away stress in an instant!

I love the picture of you and Sadie! It’s so cute! :) I’m glad that you are feeling better! I think yesterday was a really bad stressful day all around. Everyone I spoke to had a bad day including myself as well. Today is a new day and I hope it’s better for you! :)

So, I have to know- what do you think of those frozen fish fillets? I am always looking to keep things in the freezer to have on hand – in case of nights where I don’t really feel like cooking.
    And I was in the mood for some rain last night too- so funny we were thinking the same thing :) Sometimes rain just seems to make things more comforting!

So true about dogs helping with stress! I don’t know what I did before I had him there to cuddle and love on! Plus he makes me laugh and smile because he’s so damn cute and funny :)