Not So Bad

Sometimes when I take a few days off from the gym, my next workout feels more difficult than usual. I’m sure it’s all mental, but getting back into the gym after a weekend of pounding down lots of holiday food just feels hard.

My workout yesterday was tough. I felt my body huffin’ and puffin’ much earlier in my workout than usual. Today wasn’t so bad. I have a feeling tomorrow will be even better.

Keep ya head up! Open-mouthed smile

My workout this morning began on the treadmill beside Ryan. As some of you may remember, Ryan added 20 minutes of cardio to his workouts during Lent and decided to keep it going now that Easter has come and gone. I must admit, I love having a cardio buddy in the beginning of my workout!

My 20 minutes on the treadmill were spent alternating back and forth between running and incline walking in a workout that looked like this:

Minutes Incline Pace
0-5 8.0 4.0
5-10 2.0 6.5
10-13 8.0 4.0
13-18 2.0 6.5
18-20 8.0 4.0

After my time on the treadmill was done, I did 10 minutes on the stair master and 20 minutes on the elliptical before heading over to the bike where I pretended to workout and really just read blogs on my phone while waiting for Ryan to finish.

I read like a blog over the weekend, so I had lots of blog reading to catch up on and knocked a bunch out while lightly peddling on the bike.

Hooray!!! Smoothie time!

After a three-day hiatus, the smoothie bowl returned in full-force this morning and I was in heaven.

smoothie bowl 002

In today’s mix:

• 1/2 frozen banana
  • 3/4 c. frozen strawberries
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 2 pinches xanthan gum
  • 1 large handful fresh spinach
  • 1 1/2 c. almond milk

smoothie bowl 003

smoothie bowl 005It was just as glorious as I remembered! Including fruits and veggies in my morning meal made me feel like I recharged my commitment to healthy living.

I’m back, baby! Winking smile

This morning’s smoothie was particularly voluminous. I felt like I could’ve dove right into the bowl and done the backstroke and still had room. Okay, maybe not, but it was quite large. I’m nice and full now!

Time for work! I’m not gonna lie, I kind of wish I was staying home curled up on the couch next to Sadie even though the stench her little hiney is producing this morning is seriously rank.

Please tell me some of you out there have gassy pets. Sadie is seriously a flatulence fiend.

Comments

1. Rachel says

i haven’t tried making a smoothie yet…gotta do some research on protein powders that are safe for me to have. using xanthan gum is genius!
    it’s a must in gluten free baking so i am definitely familiar with it.

does yours have a weird smell? i unfortunately did not keep it in the original packaging and have it in an air tight jar so i have no idea when the expiration date is!!

We feed our Mini Schnauzer a tablespoon of plain, non fat yogurt (just use regular, not Greek) every day. It helps their digestive tract and she loves to eat yogurt. She hardly ever has any gas issues. :-)

I also crammed more butter- and sugar-laden foods down than I thought possible this past weekend and definitely noticed a weight-on-my-shoulders feeling and a dull headache by Monday. But it was sooo good at the time :) Veggie soup for lunch today and tons o’ H2O.

I almost died reading “Sadie’s heiny!” Too funny. My dog is getting chemo and lots of vitamins and OH.MY… Suddenly she has the worst most potent gas! No good friends, no good at all. But she doesn’t know she’s sick, so we take it as an acceptable side effect lol.

4. Lauren says

I love seeing your huge smoothie bowls in the morning! When I take a few days of from working out, sometimes, it feels much easier because I missed the sweat & I just wanna workout hard!

5. Adriana R. says

My dogs gas can clear a room. And he’s only 12 lbs! Though I have to say, since we changed his food, he’s been pretty gas free

6. Samantha says

We have a vizsla too and he is super gassy. It’s akward when he does it out in public too – like when standing in the check-out line at Home Depot. :)

That’s okay though, he’s entertaining!

7. Shayla says

That smoothie bowl looks delish, I’m going to have to make one sometime! Do you know about how many calories are in one of those smoothies? Thanks!

8. Stephanie S says

Yes I have TWO gassy pets! And I make a smoothie very similar to the one mentioend here… I add in little granola/cereal pieces for texture and added crunch! I almost feel sad when I finish the bowl :P

9. Nicole says

We have a Vizsla too and he is soooo gassy! We thought maybe it was just him but we’ve been hearing from some other Vizsla owners that they have the same problem. Guess we just have stinky pets! Love your blog and seeing all the Sadie pics :)

10. Vanessa F says

I have two male Goldens and they really live up to their gender. LOL. They’ve been known to burp loudly while you’re eating. And the older one, Jaxx, is 11 so I guess he can’t really help himself anymore. LOL. Every time he moves, the whole room stinks :p

11. Kim says

Our 7-year old male, Weim – Bailey, fits right in with my 4 guys (hubby and 3 sons). They all have the gift of ‘singing’ – both from the mouth and from the south-side down below.

Bailey will crack a belch with the best of them. When he sits down, he oftens lets out a squeaker fart. His SBV’s are as notoriously bad as some of the ones the guys let go. Eeeeeeeeyyyyewwwwwww!!!

12. amor en linea says

Thanks so much for providing individuals with such a splendid possiblity to read from here. It’s usually very good and full of a lot of fun for me and my office colleagues to search the blog at minimum thrice every week to read through the new things you have. Not to mention, I’m so at all times fascinated concerning the sensational creative ideas you serve. Selected 1 facts in this post are rather the most suitable I’ve had.