Not So Bad

Sometimes when I take a few days off from the gym, my next workout feels more difficult than usual. I’m sure it’s all mental, but getting back into the gym after a weekend of pounding down lots of holiday food just feels hard.

My workout yesterday was tough. I felt my body huffin’ and puffin’ much earlier in my workout than usual. Today wasn’t so bad. I have a feeling tomorrow will be even better.

Keep ya head up! Open-mouthed smile

My workout this morning began on the treadmill beside Ryan. As some of you may remember, Ryan added 20 minutes of cardio to his workouts during Lent and decided to keep it going now that Easter has come and gone. I must admit, I love having a cardio buddy in the beginning of my workout!

My 20 minutes on the treadmill were spent alternating back and forth between running and incline walking in a workout that looked like this:

Minutes Incline Pace
0-5 8.0 4.0
5-10 2.0 6.5
10-13 8.0 4.0
13-18 2.0 6.5
18-20 8.0 4.0

After my time on the treadmill was done, I did 10 minutes on the stair master and 20 minutes on the elliptical before heading over to the bike where I pretended to workout and really just read blogs on my phone while waiting for Ryan to finish.

I read like a blog over the weekend, so I had lots of blog reading to catch up on and knocked a bunch out while lightly peddling on the bike.

Hooray!!! Smoothie time!

After a three-day hiatus, the smoothie bowl returned in full-force this morning and I was in heaven.

smoothie bowl 002

In today’s mix:

• 1/2 frozen banana
  • 3/4 c. frozen strawberries
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 2 pinches xanthan gum
  • 1 large handful fresh spinach
  • 1 1/2 c. almond milk

smoothie bowl 003

smoothie bowl 005It was just as glorious as I remembered! Including fruits and veggies in my morning meal made me feel like I recharged my commitment to healthy living.

I’m back, baby! Winking smile

This morning’s smoothie was particularly voluminous. I felt like I could’ve dove right into the bowl and done the backstroke and still had room. Okay, maybe not, but it was quite large. I’m nice and full now!

Time for work! I’m not gonna lie, I kind of wish I was staying home curled up on the couch next to Sadie even though the stench her little hiney is producing this morning is seriously rank.

Please tell me some of you out there have gassy pets. Sadie is seriously a flatulence fiend.

Comments

Haha, my dog farts all the time.

When it is a loud fart she goes nuts trying to get at her butt. I am not sure if she thinks she has crapped herself or not, but the panic in her eyes leads me to believe this may be the case. I actually think it is kind of cute, but this is only because I may love my dog a little too much ;-).

Lauren

2. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

*Both* my puppies seem to think it’s cute if they pass gas right beside me then walk away like it’s nothing! They’re like the unbeatable fart team.

3. Julia says

Your smoothie bowls ALWAYS look decadent. I want to try them one of these days! 🙂

Oh and your treadmill workouts, kick my butt! I love them!

It’s amazing how you fill that bowl up until it’s about to overflow, yet doesn’t!

I think it’s hilarious when Koda is stinky. Sometimes they are even audible (TMI?) but she surprises herself when she hears them and pops her ears up like ‘what was that?!’

That is the best smoothie bowl yet! It looks so good! 🙂

Ew, I totally know what you mean about dogs being stinky! My family dog is gassy all the time! When he toots, we will say, “ewww Oliver!” He looks at us, and turns his head around to sniff his butt. Dogs are gross sometimes! Haha

6. Paula says

ahh I’m with you on the hard workout after a few days off. I’m day 3 back in after a week of vacation and it is finally starting to click again! One more day and we will be back to normal!

Smoothies are so good. Ever since seeing your pictures a month or more ago, I’ve been making them every morning.

When I wake up, I try to will myself to make something different but in the end I just give in and make another smoothie. It’s like ice cream for breakfast! SO delicious!

8. Rachel says

We have a Vizsla too and she has the worst gas EVER! Sometimes hard to convince guests that it is ACTUALLY the dog, not someone trying to cover up! : )

I hear ya. I’m going through the same thing right now. Even though I worked out on my vacation this weekend, maybe its the lack of sleep or the over-indulging in both food and drink…but I am DRAGGING. Hopin it will get better as the week goes on 🙂

10. jen says

i dont think my chocolate lab, Layla, passes gas! I mean, I haven’t heard or smelled evidence proving otherwise!!! Must be that super high-end dog food I feed her…and it keeps her coat so clean and shiny!

After seeing you use xanthan gum in so many thick smoothies, I picked some up and made almond milk-raspberry “ice cream” – super thick and smooth.

And I also discovered that if you spill any xanthan gum, it’s completely disgusting and impossible to clean up.

12. Morgan says

Oh my – my dog has terrible gas!! I didn’t think anything that’s only 10 pounds could produce the type of stench he does!! But it’s actually quite funny – if he farts and it makes a little noise it almost scares him. He whips his little head around to look at his butt. I can almost imagine the thoughts, “WHOA! What was that?! seriously…did anyone else hear that?!” He’s a special kind of mutt. 🙂

13. Jenna...lifeinjenneral says

My Boston Terrier has some serious gas. It’s a little ridiculous at times. He can literally clear a room.

Sometimes after a long weekend off, or even a week off from the gym (I know, I’m bad and I’m working on making a commitment to work out at least 5 days a week) I always get nervous to get back in there!! Once I talk myself into it, I’m good though! This morning was a serious weight training class and I can’t really lift my arms. But again, thanks for being motivating from so far away 🙂

15. Sheena@inbetweenruns.com says

Our weim’s gas last night was equal parts awful and hilarious.

He was sitting with his bum on the wood floor, and every so often would make a loud squeaking noise.

I’m glad we didn’t have any visitors 🙂

16. Whitney says

Our English Bulldog Sumo is notorious for his gas – he jerks his head up and sniffs the air like, “Did I do that?!?” Yes, you did…again.

The sad part is they are so human-like that me and my husband sometimes look at each other and say “EWW-was that you or the dog?”

Our dog Loki has some awful gas sometimes,but that doesn’t surprise me. What I found shocking is our kittens have the smelliest farts, I didn’t know cats farted at all till we got Merri and Pippin. Maybe it’s because they’re boys, I dont know. On the other hand I dont think our new puppy, Nani has ripped one yet 🙂

• says

Same thing with our dog – she is rarely gassy because she never gets people food – except if someone (ahem, my boyfriend) leaves something on the counter over night she will sneak in there when we are sleeping and nab it! Then she can get a little stinky!

18. Faith @ lovelyascharged says

No lie, Haley’s farts have actually woken me up before. I’m ignoring the fact that I probably woke up on my own, but the very first thing that came into my conscious brain was “holy crap what is that noxious smell????” Luckily it doesnt happen that often, but when it does, it’s lethal!

19. tanya says

your smoothie looks so thick, what type of protein powder do you use? I have used sun warrior with the gums..but it doesn’t get as thick as yours
    thanks

20. Rhonda says

We just brought our puppy home over the weekend…and I’m glad her puppy breath is intoxcating, because her gas sure is toxic 🙂

21. Shannon says

My dog was super, super smelly and I found that changing the protein in her food helped a ton. I think we were feeding her chicken and it just didn’t sit well so we switched her to lamb and the change was amazing!!!!!! Also, if she eats a lot of fruits and veggies that can make them smelly too. Good luck!

22. Amber K says

Recently discovered I’m intolerant of xanthan gum, so my hopes for a really thick smoothie were dashed again. But I LOVE the pictures. They always look so delicious!

23. Laura@ Backstage Pass says

Too funny! My dog has a flatulence problem as well… She releases these killer SBD’s (silent but deadly farts) and they are totally putrid!
    Last night I was writing a post about our new puppy and our ‘original’ pets, and how they’ve been so good with welcoming the puppy into our home. At the same time, there was our older dog, on the floor at my feet, snoozing away but releasing her toxic gas every couple minutes. I amlost didn’t include her in the post!

Yay for your workout return!!! And wow, I love how your smoothie is overfowing the side of the ball… too funny! Yep, Happy has her moments of flatulence, usually after eating a rawhide. We’ve decided her gut is extremely sensitive and anything straying from the “norm” causes her to be super farty!

25. Heidi says

I have Winston, an English Bulldog, and his gas is loud, stinky, and very regular! Sometimes we all have to leave the room (including Winston!).

26. Amelia says

I don’t know about dogs but my cat is a gas/fart queen sometimes. Silent but deadly! I kick her poor butt out of bed when she’s stinking up the place but she always comes back, looking at me with those super sad eyes.

It must be one of those days…I’m seriously droopy and unmotivated to do anything. I wouldn’t mind crawling back to the couch and vegging out all day in front of the TV. Post-Easter slump?

27. Rachel says

i haven’t tried making a smoothie yet…gotta do some research on protein powders that are safe for me to have. using xanthan gum is genius!
    it’s a must in gluten free baking so i am definitely familiar with it.

does yours have a weird smell? i unfortunately did not keep it in the original packaging and have it in an air tight jar so i have no idea when the expiration date is!!

We feed our Mini Schnauzer a tablespoon of plain, non fat yogurt (just use regular, not Greek) every day. It helps their digestive tract and she loves to eat yogurt. She hardly ever has any gas issues. 🙂

I also crammed more butter- and sugar-laden foods down than I thought possible this past weekend and definitely noticed a weight-on-my-shoulders feeling and a dull headache by Monday. But it was sooo good at the time 🙂 Veggie soup for lunch today and tons o’ H2O.

I almost died reading “Sadie’s heiny!” Too funny. My dog is getting chemo and lots of vitamins and OH.MY… Suddenly she has the worst most potent gas! No good friends, no good at all. But she doesn’t know she’s sick, so we take it as an acceptable side effect lol.

30. Lauren says

I love seeing your huge smoothie bowls in the morning! When I take a few days of from working out, sometimes, it feels much easier because I missed the sweat & I just wanna workout hard!

31. Adriana R. says

My dogs gas can clear a room. And he’s only 12 lbs! Though I have to say, since we changed his food, he’s been pretty gas free

32. Samantha says

We have a vizsla too and he is super gassy. It’s akward when he does it out in public too – like when standing in the check-out line at Home Depot. 🙂

That’s okay though, he’s entertaining!

33. Shayla says

That smoothie bowl looks delish, I’m going to have to make one sometime! Do you know about how many calories are in one of those smoothies? Thanks!

34. Stephanie S says

Yes I have TWO gassy pets! And I make a smoothie very similar to the one mentioend here… I add in little granola/cereal pieces for texture and added crunch! I almost feel sad when I finish the bowl 😛

35. Nicole says

We have a Vizsla too and he is soooo gassy! We thought maybe it was just him but we’ve been hearing from some other Vizsla owners that they have the same problem. Guess we just have stinky pets! Love your blog and seeing all the Sadie pics 🙂

36. Vanessa F says

I have two male Goldens and they really live up to their gender. LOL. They’ve been known to burp loudly while you’re eating. And the older one, Jaxx, is 11 so I guess he can’t really help himself anymore. LOL. Every time he moves, the whole room stinks :p

37. Kim says

Our 7-year old male, Weim – Bailey, fits right in with my 4 guys (hubby and 3 sons). They all have the gift of ‘singing’ – both from the mouth and from the south-side down below.

Bailey will crack a belch with the best of them. When he sits down, he oftens lets out a squeaker fart. His SBV’s are as notoriously bad as some of the ones the guys let go. Eeeeeeeeyyyyewwwwwww!!!

38. amor en linea says

Thanks so much for providing individuals with such a splendid possiblity to read from here. It’s usually very good and full of a lot of fun for me and my office colleagues to search the blog at minimum thrice every week to read through the new things you have. Not to mention, I’m so at all times fascinated concerning the sensational creative ideas you serve. Selected 1 facts in this post are rather the most suitable I’ve had.