Guess what today is???

Easter 2011 001

Today this old bag of bones turns 26! Smile

Though birthdays are always fun, I can’t help but feel a little nostalgic that another year has come and gone. Stay tuned for a fun recap of this past year later this afternoon!

Workout

This morning, I awoke to a husband singing me happy birthday and a dog showering me with birthday kisses. I’m just going to pretend that Sadie knows it’s my birthday… just like we pretend she knows when it’s her own birthday.

After quickly changing into our gym clothes, Ryan and I headed to the gym to begin our workouts with 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical.

Then it was time for BodyPump! We did release 77 which I really enjoyed. It made my muscles buuurn!

After a walk with Sadie and a super-fast shower, it was breakfast time!

I thought about doing something totally cheesy this morning like eating a big bowl of oatmeal with a candle in it in honor of my birthday, but then I realized that I’d feel like an idiot blowing out a candle by myself and I really wanted a smoothie anyway.

Candles don’t exactly work in smoothies.

Today’s smoothie was a mocha green monster!

green monster 002

I added a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mix to give it a little extra chocolate flava and slurped it down like it was cool… which it was. Winking smile

green monster 004

green monster 003

Birthday smoothies are the j-a-m!

As I sipped on my smoothie, I started to think about birthday meals. Growing up, whenever it was my birthday, I got to select my favorite meal that my mom would then make for my birthday dinner. I don’t think I had one go-to meal, but I remember selecting corned beef and cabbage on a number of occasions as well as soft-shell crabs, clams (last year’s selection), oysters and shellfish. I’m a seafood lover at heart!

Question of the Morning

If you could pick one meal to have specially prepared for you on your birthday, what would you select?

Comments

• Amelia says

This Sunday is my family birthday party and we’re having a family favorite. I selected hamburgers, fried noodles (egg noodles pan fried in butter with bread crumbs), stewed tomatoes and a green salad with my favorite, avocado! It’s such a staple in our family but does it sound weird? Of course, there will be cake…a lemon cake with whipped frosting! yum yum yum!!

Happy birthday Julie! Hope you have a great day filled with lots of fro yo, ice cream, cake and everything else you neglected during lent :)! So many meals which I love but one that comes to mind in particular is lobster linguini in marinara sauce topped with parmesan: Y-U-M!

2. Gina B says

Happy Birthday 🙂 Have a fantastic day!!! Enjoy your birthday and think about what a fabulous year you had and what wonderful things 26 will bring! 😉

3. Ally says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! For my birthday I would love to have my mom cook veal osso bucco with polenta. It’s absolutely delicious. Then I’d have some brownie ice cream OR red velvet cake!

4. Sydney says

Happy Birthday Julie! I stumbled across your blog one day and now I have to read it everyday 🙂 The meal I always ask for is tacos or tacoritos! Or basically anything my mom cooks because she is amazing!

Happy Birthday!

It’s my boyfriend’s birthday too and I’m making him arugula pizza for lunch but we’re going out to dinner.

I hope you have a super birthday.

• Megan says

Thank you! I’ve been a silent reader for about a month now and I just have to tell you that i LOVE your blog! Your recipes, workouts, and attitude have helped me so much in my efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Oh and you also make me laugh a lot. So thanks for being you and sharing yourself with the world!

6. Joanna says

Happy Birthday!! I used to have an addiction to ravioli when I was younger, so that was usually my birthday meal request. Enjoy your day & birthday meals!! :O)

7. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

Happy Birthday!

For a birthday meal, we almost always go out for Mongolian BBQ Stir-Fry. I just love that food!

Happy 26 my love! Now you can join the old lady club with me. 😉

I hope it’s absolutely wonderful. My mom used to make corned beef and cabbage too although I usually requested goulash, a stew with ground beef, elbow noodles, canned veggies, and tomatoes served with corn bread for my birthday. Now days I would probably request fish with a sweet potato, sushi or something of that nature. 🙂

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE!!! I hope you have a wonderful day, and a great year ahead too! If I could have a meal prepared for me for my birthday, it’d probably involve blackened salmon of some sort. I love my seafood too!

Happy Birthday!! Hope it’s wonderful!!

p.s. I love my grandma’s chicken & dumplings for my birthday meal – but my birthday is during football season, so it mainly involves beer & tailgate food 🙂

11. Laura says

Happy birthday Julie!!

I used to always pick spaghetti with my favorite sauce… Ragu. I bet my mom was thinking how she really lucked out that my favorite meal was so ready-made… heh.

12. JillToday says

Happy birthday girl! I would pick some sort of red meat for dinner and bread pudding for dessert!!!!!! Yesssssss.

Have a wonderful day!

13. Faith @ lovelyascharged says

Happy birthday Julie! I always picked Olive Garden for my birthday dinner – I’d go for a homemade version with garlic bread, veggie-packed minnestrone and ravioli!

happy birthday! you just reminded me that i myself am coming up on 26 too. eeekk!
    My mom did the same thing with meals! I cant remember what I usually pick, I know growing up I loved tacos so I probably picked that a lot!

Happy birthday, pretty lady!! Growing up, my mom always let us pick whatever we wanted for dinner on our birthdays. I usually chose something like chicken fajitas. I luuurve me some Mexican food! 🙂 I hope you have a GREAT day!

Happy birthday! Love how you added a little extra cocoa to the smoothie to make it festive 😉 Well, let’s see it’s hard to pick just one. I know it would be greasy! I think I’d go traditional: burger, fries and milkshake. I love the classics.

HAPPY BDAY!

17. Brittany says

Happy Birthday Julie! I only found your blog a few months ago but have been working my way through all your old posts, I hope your birthday is as fun and great as you are!

Happy Birthday Julie!! I hope you have a great day of celebrating and time with friends and family! I’m a huge sweets fan, so I think I’d skip the meal request and ask for a triple chocolate cake 🙂

19. Chelsea M says

Happy Birthday Julie, I hope you have a special and happy day!

My favorite birthday meal is coming home and having fresh fish on the grill yum!

20. Casey says

Happy birthday Julie!! Hope it’s a fantastic one!!! 🙂 Keep up the fantastic blog work…I look forward to it every morning!

Happy Birthday Julie 🙂 I hope you have a great day!!!

For my birthday dinner back in February (I turned 26 as well!) I had an amazing vegetable pasta with fresh bread and a gorgeous salad – it was perfect for the cold and snowy weather and made me feel great.

22. Meg says

26 is my best year yet – it’ll be a good one!

For some reason, I loved hamburger stroganoff. It’s creamy, meaty, and noodley all at once. I also loved shrimp pesto linguine.

The more important question was which cake did I choose…and it was always mint chip ice cream/chocolate yule log cake from baskin robbins!

23. Whitney says

happy birthday! birthdays are such a fun thing! a day that makes you feel special just for being born…

i’m voting that everybody should start celebrating half birthdays too. anyone in favor?!

🙂

Happy Birthday Beautiful!! I hope you get spoiled!!
    For my birthday dinner I always want to BBQ! chicken, fish, steak, lots of fruit and veggies and always have an apple crisp instead of cake;)

25. Dana says

Happy happy birthday, Julie! Enjoy the beautiful flowers and your beautiful family!! And pshhhh 26 is not old (ol’ bones over HERE will be 28 this weekend).

I’m excited for the meals I’ll be having this week though none will be homemade – sushi/japanese tonight, italian/homemade pastas friday night, and spanish/tapas saturday. though i did make my boy almost spit his water out yesterday when i said that my birthday better be like that Daniel Day-Lewis movie: “There Will Be Cake”.

26. Rachel says

happy birthday!!

(mine was 6 days ago..)

for the big family celebration i always requested pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce. then as i got older it was chili.

now my parents take me out to eat. this year was maggiano’s!

AYAYAYYAYAA HAPPY BIRTHDAY you gorgeous GIRL!!!!!!!!! nothing like a nice birthday smoothie!
    ONE MEAL?? oh dang… im thinking something sweet… and peanut butter is required.!

28. Jamie says

Happy Birthday!
    My birthday is always a cheat day so pizza, chips and of course, cake! Just wait till you turn 30 ! I ate like three pieces of cake. hahaha.

29. Sherry says

Happy Birthday!!!! I love Birthdays and making my family feel so special on their special days by making them whatever cake/dessert they want and whatever dinner they want. It’s a lot of fun especially when you’re a parent!!

Hope you have yummy eats to look forward to. When I was younger I always wanted lasagna on my b-day because it’s something I loved but never got unless we went out to eat. My mom hated cooking and always said it’s too much work. 🙂 It’s funny how I love to cook now and make lots of things from scratch, Ironic how things work out in the end. Sorry I rambled this morning, I can’t wait to see what fun things you have planned on your special day!!

30. Denise says

Happy Birthday to you 🙂
    I love Indian Food, but I’d rather someone bring me a take-out on my birthday than cook it for me!!!

31. Valery R says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE! 🙂 Hope you have an amazing day! <3

And if I could have a meal prepared for me on my birthday, it'd be a big plate of sushi! yummm

32. ashley says

i just took my first EVER body pump class this morning (release 77 also!) holy shaky, sore arms and legs!! i LOVED it and what a great total body workout!!

Happy birthday! We usually go out for indian or thai food on my birthday, but for a home cooked meal I would probably go for my mom’s awesome mushroom lasagna.

Happy Birthday Julie!! Hope you have wonderful day!

I would always have my mom make masticcoli (spelling??), a baked pasta dish with sausage. For dessert, strawberry cheesecake!

Happy Birthday Julie!

I think my birthday meal wish would simply just to be surprised. I think the fun of having someone else prepare a meal of THEIR choice is thoughtful and special enough that requesting a meal almost doesn’t seem as fun!

36. Jillian says

Happy Birthday Julie from one April baby to the next (mine is the 18th)!!!! Hope your day is fabulous!!! If I could choose a meal I would pick either crab or lobster or shrimp scampi…I guess I can’t really decide haha

37. claire says

Happy birthday girl! You have the same bday as my 4 year old nephew…and I was due on April 26th, but was eight days late so my bday is Sunday. I told my mom I’d like to have shrimp for my birthday dinner this year, so I’m right there with you in terms of seafood loving.

Happy Birthday!!!!!!! 😀 I alwwwwwwwwways pick mexican for my birthday! It’s in August so sneaking in a margarita (or 2) is added fun. 😀 Hope you have a GREAT day!

39. Julia K. says

Happy Birthday, Julie!! I hope this day is filled with lots of love and happiness!! xoxo
    If I could choose just ONE meal, it would be korean bbq! That includes beef, pork, chicken, seafood ( am i being too greedy?!) The best bet would be to get a group of ppl, and head out to a korean bbq all you can eat place!! YUMMMMMMMMMiiiiiieeeeeeeeee

40. Bethany says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JULIE!!! Hope you have a FABULOUS day!! 🙂

Hmmm. If I could have someone make me anything, I think I would go with one of those fruit/chicken/greens salads. You know, like a spinach or romaine base with strawberries and pineapple and mandarin oranges and applies and pecans and almonds and grilled chicken. And poppyseed dressing. SO GOOD.

And a side of cheesy potatoes, because they are the greatest things in the world. It doesn’t really go with the salad, but whatever. If it’s my birthday I can do what I want 🙂 haha

41. Whitney says

Happy Birthday!!! My 26th is next Wednesday :). If I could have my birthday meal prepared for me, it would be my favorite meal from Carrabbas. Tons of bread and olive oil/herb mix and the pasta carrabbas! Yum!

Wow!! Passing by for the first time and I guess I arrived in perfect timing to wish you a happy birthday!! Enjoy 26…it was a good year for me and I hope the same for you!

Happy Birthday!
    Now that I’m a vegetarian I’m not sure what I would choose for my birthday meal. When I was a kid we sort of got to choose our birthday dinner but we always got to choose what kind of cookies we wanted. My aunt makes (made) the best cookies ever! I always chose gingersnaps, soft and chewy…the best ever!

Happy birthday!!

This year I had a cupcake for breakfast…it was awesome. My mom was never big on cooking for our birthdays and we usually went out, but if I could have someone make me a shellfish feast followed by chocolate mousse cake covered in six inches of buttercream frosting, I’d be one happy camper!!

45. Tammy says

Happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating with Ryan, Sadie, the rest of your family, and all of your loved ones 🙂

If I had to choose a special meal,it would definitelly be…Brussel Sprouts! Yep, that s right! Those greens are pretty expensive and I get to eat it now and then or when it s pay check day.

I wish I had a Giant bowl of Brussel Sprouts just for myself !

Have a very very joyfull birthday ! For me, you ll always glow no matter what age !!

47. Jennifer says

Happy Birthday! I remember 26…ahhhhh…good times…I just turned 38 this month so my old bones have your old bones beat =D. Have a wonderful day and enjoy every moment!

Happy Birthday! (I turned 31 :O yesterday) Yay for April birthdays!!

My fave bday dinner would include seafood and healthy, delicious sides that I woudn’t have to make myself (I have to add that bc I am the only one in my family that eats healthy :/).

49. Michelle says

Happy Birthday Julie!! I love reading your blog every morning 🙂

My favorite thing to have prepared (by my mother) is her spaghetti. It sounds cheesy, but it’s a nostalgic thing from my childhood.

50. Mary Catherine says

Wow. It just took me like an hour to scroll to the bottom of your comments. Like another poster said, from one April baby to another, happy birthday! My mom always let me pick dinner on my birthday or when I got a good report card. I’d usually choose breakfast for dinner or baked chicken with mashed potatoes and peas. The correct way to eat that of course being to get a fork-full of mashed potatoes and then dip it in the peas. 🙂

51. Gina G says

Happy Happy Birthday! 🙂

My favorite is probably eggplant parm….speaking of i’m turning 19 next week! haha

Hope your day is amazing!

52. Amy says

Happy, happy birthday, Julie! I hope your have a fabulous day filled with as much joy as your provide to your PBF readers! YOU are the j-a-m. 😉

Happy Happy Birthday Julie!
    My family does the same thing for birthdays in choosing what you want to eat that day. I don’t eat steak a lot so many a birthday has been a steak dinner. Plus my mom makes whatever cake you want for your birthday & it is always delicious.
    I hope you are having a fabulous day 🙂

54. Alicia says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I hope you update the fashion page today cause from what I can see what your wearing looks super cute… enjoy YOUR day!

55. Amber K says

Happy Birthday to a fellow Taurus!! My birthday’s in a couple of weeks 🙂

And I want anything that is vegetarian, gluten-free and actually delicious!

56. Heather says

Happy Birthday, Julie! Im glad you were born because your blog is my favorite! For my birthday, I would like to try the Bonefish Grill restaurant & get fish tacos!

Happy Birthday! The flowers are beautiful and I clicked on that link – the release sounds awesome! I LOVE the idea of each body part per song – I wish we had that option in Atlanta. Surely it will be here soon, right? Right? Sigh!

I hope you have a great day! I would probably have lobster tail prepared -YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve never worked with lobster.

Happy birthday!
    Started making strawberry spinach smoothies and am in love with them.

When I was younger I loved lobster and wanted lobster all the time for bday dinners.
    But we did the whole day, so we did a birthday breakfast where my parents would decorate our chairs so we had a special chair to sit in for our birthday! I miss it!

Happy birthday! My mom used to always let us request our favorite meal for dinner, too! Also, when we were younger, we would wake up to balloons in our room–the number that we turned on that birthday determined how many balloons were waiting when we woke up. 😀

It I could request any meal for my birthday this year, it would probably be my mom’s chicken parmesan!

I hope you have a great day, today!

60. Robin B says

Happy birthday girlll! Enjoy your day 🙂

I always request taco night at my moms! Yes, even though I am 26 too, I still have my mom make my her famous tacos! Man just talking about it makes me wish it were my birthday too!

61. Lauren @ Hungry Dancer says

Happy birthday Julie!!!! I never had anything made for my birthday’s, but I always wanted to eat ice cream for breakfast! Have a great day girl!!

62. ZeeBee says

Hi Julie! I’ve been reading your blog for a little bit now, but this is my first time commenting 🙂 Just wanted to wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love love love birthdays!! My Mom used to also offer the same special for my birthday and I ALWAYS picked quiche!! Num Num Num!! Enjoy your day!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY pretty lady!!!

Aw, love that you did birthday meals growing up. So did we! Just the perfect ending to a birthday by selecting what is for dinner. Special little touches :o)

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAYY!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day… and remember calories don’t count on your birthday!!!
    I would have Red Velvet Cake absolutely, pizza(the really thin italian kind, with real fresh mozerella, sliced tomatoes, basil, and garlic)
    I would also want to have an awesome workout last year I hiked Aspen Mountain,nothing like conquering a challenge to make age seem irrelevant!

Happy Birthday Julie!! I’m surprised you didnt have a cupcake for breakfast…on top of your smoothie of course 🙂

I would like dinner prepared for me! I usually pick steak which is weird bc i eat red meat maybe twice a year!

66. adrianna says

happy bday! hope its fantastic 🙂

we got to choose our meals, too…always so fun. i picked cabbage and noodles tons multiple years…my mom mixes egg noodles, cabbage, and bacon with some vinegar-y sauce…mmm! i often picked tuna noodle, too.
    now, all i want is frosting and lots of it.

Yay for birthdays! “Another the day above the ground IS worth celebrating,” as my boss says, lol. My birthday is Saturday so I’m bias to a fellow Taurus and diamond girl 😉 I’ll be having sushi and movie theatre snacks as my indulgence!

Enjoy your day! -Adriane

68. Alexandrina @ The Cardio Queen says

Happy Birthday!

I guess I would choose calabacitas with some fish and more veggies made with the fish. It’s usually called pescado enpapelado. Delicious! 😀

69. Erika says

If you’re an old bag of bones, then I’m no longer existent 🙂 Happy Birthday Julie! I heart your blog and your sweet personality and I hope you have a great day devoted all to you!

Happy Birthday Julie!! On my birthday I always asked my mom for pork tenderloin with cous cous and asparagus. My brothers always wanted to go out to eat, though! Now I like to choose a new vegetarian restaurant to try out with the family.

Happy Birthday! For my bday meal, i would probably choose some kind of exciting italian dish (or even just go out to my fav place), some nice red wine and tiramisu to finish off the night! YUM! Enjoy whatever else you end up doing/eating today!

72. hope says

Happy 26th Birthday, Julie! As a birthday meal, I would love belgian waffles with all the goodies…fruit, male syrup and powdered sugar. Have a wonderful birthday!!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! FOR my birthday and one special meal I would have a fat salad, panda express orange chicken for an appetizer, extra double cheesy greasy pizza for the auntree, cheesy bread for side and then ten bowls of ice cream for dessert!
    No for real! Tons of pizza + ice cream =my favouruiteee!

74. Danielle says

Happy Birthday!

I just realized I kept looking in my inbox for your email. I think I am becoming addicted.

I’m not much of a cook. I rarely cook. But I do have a ‘one hit wonder’ as my hubby calls it, chicken enchiladas. So every year on my birthday I make myself enchiladas. Yes, I make it myself, cause no one can top my enchiladas. I also happen to share my birthday with a very special person, my grandfather, and he just loves my enchiladas.

75. Vanessa says

Happy birthday julie!! Hope it was a great day!

We had birthday cake for one of my students. I’ll pretend it was for you too!

Anything italian would make me happy..

Happy Birthday!! It’s also my best friend Kaleigh’s birthday 🙂 Mine is in exazctly 2 months.

I would like some grilled steaks made for me on my birthday, with some grilled veggies, and a birthday cake!

77. Kathy says

Happy Birthday from Canada Julie… Love your blog, it is now part of my daily routine to check it out… cheers to another great year for you…

78. Anne says

Happy Birthday from Korea! Hope you had a wonderful day with your loved ones! My favorite birthday dinner (cooked by my mom, of course) has always been seasoned chicken topped with cheese, peas with butter, and Rice-A-Roni! I miss it so much! 🙂