Words with Friends

It’s the day after my birthday and I’m making a concerted effort to avoid the post-birthday blues. I cannot help but feel a little sad after every holiday and birthday because all of the fun leading up to the special day dissipates and it’s back to normal life.

But the good news is that I like normal life. Smile

I have a nut job dog that makes me laugh…

330

And I have a husband that stays up way too late with me in bed playing Words with Friends on our phones.

words with friends 002

For those of you not aware of the Words with Friends phenomenon, get on board! It’s basically Scrabble you can play on your phone and it is addicting.

Okay fine, so Ryan and I just downloaded it on our phones yesterday, but it is awesome.

It really appeals to the wordsmith in me and the immature kid in both of us.

Yes, Ryan started the game with the word “sexy” and I hollered back with “cox” and “dung” later in the game. We’re 26 and 27 going on eight and nine.

Workout

This morning’s workout wasn’t too shabby, but it wasn’t really kick-butt either. I was more interested in reading about Reese Witherspoon’s wedding in People and learning all about Kate Middleton and Prince William’s romance history in Newsweek than really getting a good workout. Hey, it happens.

I did manage to break a sweat though and in the end my workout looked like this:

• 40 min. elliptical (insert tons of magazine-reading here)
  • 10 min. run
  • 5 min. stair master

Then it was on to my morning walk with the pup!

After taking Sadie on a one-mile loop, I hopped in the shower and got to work on breakfast.

Last night I received a package containing two samples of ZonePerfect all-natural nutrition bars to try out.

words with friends 003

When I saw that the flavors were marketed as both sweet and salty, my mouth started watering. As demonstrated by my affinity for cheese ‘n’ jelly bagelwiches, I’m a big fan of enjoying the differing tastes simultaneously.

Since flavor curiosity got the best of me, I ate half of both the cashew pretzel and trail mix varieties this morning.

Though they were both really good (I’m a fan of ZonePerfect bars in general), I did a little flip in the kitchen for the trail mix bar.

words with friends 005

I loved the underlying peanut butter flavor (big surprise) and the little bits of raisin throughout the bar.

And because I have a serious smoothie addiction, I also made myself a smoothie bowl to slurp up while typing this blog post.

words with friends 006

There’s a heat wave in Central Florida right now and the only cure is more cow bell smoothies.

words with friends 008

Now it’s time to get to work, but before I go, I totally forgot to mention that I updated the Fashion page last night.

I hope to update it again later today to answer your inquiries about the pink dress from the photo I included on my 25th-year recap post yesterday from the hot date I went on with Ryan for this birthday. Stay tuned!

Comments

Celebrate the whole week! My birthday was on a Friday this year so I celebrated from the Monday before to the Sunday after. I have a friend who pretty much celebrates the whole month of February for her birthday. ;-)

2. Amy says

I remember last year when it got warmer out you ate a lot of yogurt/grain bowls like yogurt with barley and fruit. What happened to those?! Do you just not enjoy them any more or are smoothies just the big breakfast phase right now? :) Love your smoothies though

3. Alexandrina @ TheCardioQueen says

That game is way too addicting and I love it! My boyfriend and I always play and I was playing with my little brothers. One of them actually beat me! Ha.

4. Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily says

I felt the same way after my birthday. I was excited for the 26th year ahead of me but sad that the day was over so quickly.

5. Nathan Miller says

Nice undertone use of getting a SNL bit in at the end..classy. Glad you had a good birthday….Looks like you have a very blessed life at the moment

A happy belated birthday to you! I absolutely LOVE birthdays! It should always be an event.

I have found this is to be a bit different in Spain, and with the Spaniard. He just doesn’t get my birthday obsession. I think he will have to learn over the years. Yes, if he wants a happy me, he will HAVE to learn. :)

7. Lauren @ Hungry Dancer says

Words with friends is SO addicting!! The worst/best is that you can play it with all your friends!! So many games, so little time!

8. Julia says

I don’t personally play Words with Friends, because I don’t have a smart phone. Or else I would completely be hooked! I LOVE word games!

On Monday I sat in the waiting room with all of my family waiting for someone to come out of surgery. The entire 7 hours we were in there everyone in my family was on their phone playing with each other and getting mad for the words each other would play. It was too funny!

9. Brittany says

Words with Friends is so addicting!!! I was so happy when they FINALLY came out with an Android version – although mine kicks me off and restarts quite frequently… my bf and I play all the time too – we’ve even been known to sneak it out at a restaurant while we’re waiting on our dinner!

We also make bets on if one person can play a word higher than 50pts.. then they usually win something ;)

I would say the best tricks to know are little two letter words that can help you out in tricky situations! like Qi, Za, Xi & Ku…. and if you can play Qi in two directions on a double letter- BAZINGA! 40+pts ;)

10. Tamar says

Oh, so glad you reviewed those! I’m addicted to the zone perfect fudge graham flavor. I know they have crazy ingredients but it’s really the only packaged food I eat, so I don’t care. I’ve been tempted to buy the new ones but haven’t yet. Sweet and salty is the best!

I always get post-birthday blues, but started making a list after my birthday of all of the things I’ll accomplish or do before the next one. It really helps!