Time Difference Benefit

One of the benefits of the time difference when traveling back to Florida from London is that waking up at 5 a.m. feels like waking up at 10 a.m. The whole time difference thing is totally whacky, but I think my body is adjusting back to Florida time fairly quickly.

This morning Ryan and I headed to the gym for his and hers workouts. We started with 10 minutes of side-by-side cardio before he left to do his own thing and I continued on with my cardio workout.

I spent 25 minutes on the treadmill that looked like this:

Minutes Incline Speed
0 – 5 8.0 4.0
5 – 10 1.0 6.5
10 – 15 10.0 4.0
15 – 20 1.0 6.8
20 – 25 8.0 4.0

After my time on the treadmill, I hopped on the stair master and did 10 minutes before completing another 20 minutes on the elliptical while reading the latest issue of SELF magazine.

It feels so good to be back in the gym. Whenever I’m having a bad body confidence day, working out really does help me feel better about myself. “You’re only one workout away from a good mood,” after all!

Since we were up a bit earlier than usual, after the gym, Ryan had time to join me on my morning walk with Sadie! We completed one mile while chatting away about the day ahead and some work stuff.

After our walk and a quick shower, it was breakfast time

I’m so glad to have smoothies back in my life!

smoothie bowl 002

Into the blender went:

smoothie bowl 004

I was really feelin’ the chocolate thang this morning and this smoothie satisfied that craving 100 percent.

Gotta get to work. We have a new writer joining our team today and I’ll be training her. Should be a busy day!

Comments

Time difference is one reason why I love flying to the States! I’m always up at the crack of dawn and can therefore really make the most of my days!

It’s good that you are adjusting to the time difference fairly quickly! The smoothie looks tasty! Good luck training the new girl today! :)

Hey Julie!

I was wondering if your body is missing the carbalicious pastries? My body usually craves stuff like that if I’ve been eating it and then it suddenly disappears from my life. If that’s the case with you, how are you dealing with it?

p.s. when you integrate cruches into your workout, are you just doing the plain ol’ lie-on-the-floor-knees-slightly-bent crunches? Or something different?

• says

yes, i am! yesterday my sweet tooth was running rampant and i was downing carby things (the refined kind, not the whole grain kind) left and right. i’m really trying to get back on the healthy bandwagon today!

as for crunches, i really vary it a lot! sometimes i’ll use an exercise ball, other times i’ll just do them on the floor.

My experience was the total opposite! When I came home from England I couldn’t get enough sleep. For about two weeks after I got home I probably slept anywhere from 10-13 hours a day.

I love time differences like that — I remember when I got home from Germany (I was there for 6 weeks in college) I felt so good because I was getting enough sleep and I was able to wake up early with no problem!

Yum, that smooothie looks sooooo tempting right now. I’m craving chocolate at 9 am. PS – I looked for Xanthan gum at the grocery store last night and they didn’t have it. I’m going to try another one. NYC grocery stores are so annoying in that way. I’ve got 3 different ones by me but sometimes I have to go to each one to get what i want…thus I spend more!

Good for you! I hope it lasts for a few days :)

I actually feel like my internal clock is set to the wrong time zone — I’m on the East Coast, but I’m often up until 2am and then act like a zombie all day. On the West Coast, I sleep and wake easily at the right times, and I feel so refreshed. Born on the wrong side of the country…

It was the opposite for me when I got back from Spain.. I was tired all the time! When I arrived in Spain, I adjusted really quickly but it didn’t go the same way when I got back

Awe, I bet you are a great person to train with! It’s always exhausting training someone new, though. Hope your day goes smoothly!

Also, have you ever tried coconut milk in your smoothies? It makes them almost frothy. I am in love!

That time differential sounds amazing… i had a HORRIBLE time adjusting when i came back from my year abroad in Australia. It was a 12-hour difference… and it took me a good two weeks to get over! It was rough…

• says

I live in Australia with my fiance, and going back and forth is painful! It takes me at least a week to feel completely normal again. I live in Adelaide and am from Chicago, so it’s a 14.5-16.5 hour difference, depending on the time of the year. I know how you felt!

That treadmill workout seems pretty tough but do-able at the same time! I may be trying that out tomorrow ;) I agree with you about the time difference situation, being I travel to and from Italy for work every few months!

I love that you and Ryan work out together. My boyfriend doesn’t wake up until noon (college boys…), and I hate going to the gym at night. It sounds so nice to have a buddy with you :)

I was just wondering, as a new reader, what your job is? I’m a journalism student, and I know you’re a writer, so I’m always curious about hearing other writers’ careers!

Thanks!

Did you miss sport during your trip?
    You must be dreaming of your vacation all the time, that’s what I often feel when I’m back from holidays ^^

Jet lag is great when it makes you want to get up earlier! You’re doing everything right by jumping into your normal schedule as soon as you get home, instead of taking some extra days off. It’s so hard to get the body back to normal then.

Any suggestions for making the smoothie for a person who is allergic to bananas? I LOVE smoothies, but bananas make my throat itch like crazy!
    Thanks for all of your posts on the blog – you help motivate this mama, even if I don’t always have a chance to follow through later!