The Help

After seriously slacking on my vegetable consumption this weekend, I wanted lots of veggies for lunch today.

I figured a salad was a great way to cram a bunch of vegetables into my meal and created a big ol’ veggie-packed salad to enjoy.

All the Veggies!

In the mix:

• Butter lettuce
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Cucumber
  • Peppers
  • Goat cheese
  • Mushrooms
  • Italian dressing

Monday Lunch

It was just what the doctor ordered.

The Help

It’s time for another PBF Book Review!

Past book reviews on PBF:

About halfway into my trip to Europe, I began reading The Help, a novel by Kathryn Stockett.

The Help

When I’ve previously asked for book recommendations from you guys, The Help popped up in the comments section of this blog again and again. I figured it had to be a winner.

Within 10 pages of the book, I was hooked. The book focuses on the hardships and adversity felt by black women who work in the homes of white people, helping to raise their children in the 1960s. The author does this in a way that is intelligent, thought-provoking, hilarious, gut-wrenching and inspiring.

The Help is told from the point of view of three main characters.  Skeeter, a white woman who longs to be a writer,  is deeply unsettled by the racial prejudices in her hometown of Jackson, Mississippi. At the urging of a New York magazine editor, she decides to write an anonymous book about what “the help” experience while working for white families. Aibileen and Minny are two of the black maids she interviews and whose lives are also followed in the book. Their sections are filled with love, struggle, passion and hope.

I cannot say how sorry I was to finish this book. I wanted it to keep going! The author clearly did a lot of research to adequately capture such unrest and tension during such a challenging time in America and managed to do so in a lighthearted way that made The Help fun to read.

The Help was one of the best books I’ve ever read. No lie.

And great news! It’s going to be a movie! I can’t wait to see it in August. The previews look fantastic.

Question of the Afternoon

• What was the last great book you read?
  • What’s up next on your reading list?

I am currently reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom and I’m not sure what’s up next for me once I finish it!

P.S. The Fashion page was updated!

I’ve been reading a LOT lately. I currently read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, and I’m currently reading The Girls From Ames – a great nonfiction story about 11 women who have been friends for over 40 years. It’s amazing.

So glad you liked The Help! I read it on our honeymoon and I think the husband was a little jealous 😉 It’s definitely one of those books that I was sad to see end, you just get so attached to the characters!

I’m currently reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. It’s a pretty quick read, but it is HILARIOUS. I don’t remember the last book that made me laugh out loud so much.

I just finished the Hunger Games series after you recommended it. I really liked it, but I agree with you about the ending. I’ll have to add The Help to my reading list as well. Thanks for all the great book recommendations.

I loved The Help so much! I really had to slow down reading it because I didn’t want it to end.

I’m about to start In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson for my “virtual” bookclub! Come join in 🙂

I LOVED “The Help”–I suggest it to anyone that asks! Right now, I am in summer classes for grad school so I don’t have much time for leisurely reading. I am looking forward to August so I can read books for fun again!

I loved the Help! and i didnt know it was going to be a movie! thats awesome. I wonder who is in it?
    Also, 5 people you meet in heaven is one of my top 5 favorite books!

I read non-fiction and thrillers. I just read Betty White’s latest book and Chelsea Handler’s Lies Chelsea Told Me. I’m about ot start Malled by Caitlin Kelly about working retail.

I’ve been wanting to read The Help. My boyfriend read it last year and enjoyed it a lot as well. Time for me to steal his copy and start reading!

9. Amelia says

I’m so late to the game…I’m probably the last to comment! That’s what happens when I get behind on my blog reading. 😉

Regardless, I still wanted to make sure my 2 cents were counted! I loved The Help, did not want it to end and have tried to start other books but none of them have quite captured me yet. I’m onto a non-fiction, self-help-ish book called The Friendship Fix by Dr. Andrea Bonior. She’s a great writer and local to DC. This is her first book and while it’s not The Help, I’m really diggin’ it.

10. Anne says

I recently read “Snow Flower and the Secret Fan” for my book club and thought it was amazing. Highly, highly recommend.

11. Danielle says

I have several books in the works, meaning I have started them but have not yet finished. One of them is Something Borrowed. The one the new movie with Kate Hudson is based on. So far so good. But I just started. On next is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Only cause all the ladies on my yahoo book group are raving about the series. I just have to check it out.

12. Amy says

I saw the preview for The Help when I went to see Something Borrowed the other weekend and had no idea it was a book. I think I’ll have to request it as my next book to read after I finish my current read.

13. Rylie says

WOW! That was an amazing book <3 I was slightly disappointed with the ending seeing as to there wasn't enough Mrs. Celia, but I just bawled like a child threw this whole book!!

Definitely Recommendations to all!

I just finished The Help and all I can say is WOW. It was such an amazingly well-written book; I could not put it down. SUCH a great read! Have you seen the movie yet? I really want to see it but am afraid it won’t live up to the awesome book.

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.