Oats in a Jar: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Edition

When the alarm went off this morning, I was not in the mood to get out of our comfy bed. Usually when the alarm beeps, Ryan leaves the lights in our bedroom off and heads into the bathroom while I remain in bed for a good five minutes. I like to wake up a little slower.

Today, however, Ryan flipped the light on when the alarm went off. I was confused and tired. I was not in the mood to get out of our comfy bed and probably would’ve tried to sleep for a little while longer if it weren’t for that pesky blazin’ light!

The light got me out of bed and into the gym at my usual time… and I’m glad it did. Whenever I sleep in, even if it’s just for an extra 30 minutes or so, I feel more sluggish because I never really get back into a deep sleep.

Ryan and I headed to the gym and slowly but surely I snapped out of it and ended up having a pretty good workout!

I began my workout with a 35-minute treadmill interval workout that looked like this:

Minutes Incline Speed
0 – 5 8.0 4.0
5 – 25 1.0 Alternating 4.5 for one minute, followed by 8.0 for one minute
25 – 30 8.0 4.0

For the number hungry kiddos out there, here are the stats:

workout

Following my treadmill interval workout, I rounded out my workout with five minutes on the stair master before finishing with 10 minutes on the elliptical.

Walk

After the gym, Ryan and I came home to take the little lady on her morning walk.

oats in a jar 003

Sadie was being extra sweet this morning!

oats in a jar 001

oats in a jar 011

Though the walk itself was good, when we arrived back home, the real excitement began!

As Ryan went to unlock our front door, a big lizard fell onto his neck! He wiggled around, totally freaked out, until I stopped laughing for long enough to tell him it was just a lizard.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be on edge all day now. Smile

Breakfast was less exciting than the lizard debacle, but it still got my taste buds hoppin’.

Over the weekend I made a batch of peanut butter energy bites and finished off a small jar of peanut butter.

Last time I blogged about giving Sadie my empty peanut butter jars, many of you almost fell off your rocker in a fury telling me I had to use empty peanut butter jars as a vessel for oatmeal.

Point taken. Check it oooout:

oats in a jar 016

My first ever oats in a jar!

I made my oats on the stovetop using 1/4 cup steel cut oats and 1 1/2 cups of milk.

oats in a jar 013

Once the oats were done cooking, I stirred in half of a scoop of chocolate protein powder and a tablespoon of my favorite cocoa powder before pouring the oats into a nearly empty jar of Skippy natural creamy peanut butter.

oats in a jar 024

Oh my heavens, this was so, so good. Why I’ve waited this long to put hot oats into my empty peanut butter jars, I’ll never know.

This particular combination tasted like peanut butter cup oats. The last bites were the absolute best, because of the thick layer of peanut butter remaining on the bottom of the jar. Phenomenal.

Bad news for Sadie: She may never get another empty jar of peanut butter again.

italian meatload 026

Comments

There’s a chance I may be moving to the Tampa area next, and the thought of a lizard falling on freaks me out!!!

And I need to get on the overnight oats train – I have 2 empty PB jars waiting for me!

• says

if it makes you feel any better, i’ve lived in florida since 2003, and this is the first time i’ve ever seen it happen. totally hysterical (since it didn’t happen to me, of course).

Poor Sadie! I have an empty jar that I keep waiting to make oats in, but the inspiration hasn’t hit me yet.

Koda actually has her own CLEARLY LABELED jar of peanut butter that she gets to stick her tongue into occasionally… does that make me weird? :)

Ahahaaa that story made me giggle, poor Ryan, but fun for you 😉
    I tried OIAJ for the first time fairly recently and also loved it! As a matter of fact, I have a near empty Barney Butter jar in the cabinet waiting for me

4. Nikki says

As much as I’d love joining the OIAJ movement, pouring a hot substance into cheap plastic is never a good idea, and can release a lot of carcinogens from the container.

Welcome to the OIAJ club! There’s no turning back now. 😉

Ok, did your jar melt a little? The last time I used that same PB jar to make hot OIAJ, the container started to cave in and melt on me! I’ve been afraid to use it for hot OIAJ ever since and usually only do overnighters in it now.

Can you believe I have NEVER had oats in a jar?! I see them all the time, but always forget to do it!
    And I always workout in the morning too. It is so energizing!

isn’t it funny how dogs can be super super sweet sometimes? like more than normal? it cracks me up when bunker wakes up and comes and just sits and wags his tail at me. hardly ever happens but when it does i cherish it!

8. Mariah@ Apples"N" Oats says

hahaha i bet he looked hilarious running around in circles. I love OIAJ, only had them twice, but i enjoyed every second.

9. Ally@GirlVFood says

The other day my best friend picked a caterpillar off my shirt and didn’t tell me until about five minutes after the fact that it had been a caterpillar! Even though it was long gone and in the trash, I immediately checked my shirt and got all twitchy. Gah. I hate it when bugs or small things fall on me!

Reading your blog in the AM gets me motivated to work out in a routine again! I keep “falling off the wagon” and get out of a steady stream of workouts. Love the energy and positivity in the morning! Cheers to more sweatting :)

Sadie looks like such a doll in these pictures :)

Good job for waking up and working out! At this very moment I am watching the Today Show and they are showing this 90-year-old man who goes to the gym everyday. If he can do it, then I guess I can too…haha.

OMG! If a lizard fell on my neck I probably would have screamed like crazy!!! EW!!!!!

Those oats look so good! I used to eat OIAJ all the time! I need to start that up again. I love Skippy Natural. So good :)

13. Katie says

That is so funny about the lizard! I would have freaked out and vowed never to leave home ever again. My parents have a place in the Carolina’s and I refuse to go outside at night when all of the frogs roam the roads. Those creatures are so not right. 😛

14. Dana says

This might be a dumb question, but how is the OIAJ thing different than just adding a scoop of peanut butter to your oatmeal?

• says

not a dumb question! i actually like it better b/c i feel like i get a stronger peanut butter flavor in like every other bite vs. a faint pb flavor in every bite. not sure if that makes sense, but it was good!

I did my first OIAJ last week! But I went with overnight oats in a jar. AND THAT was amaaaazing. I didn’t have to do anything but dump a bunch of stuff into a peanut butter jar, I woke up the next day and voila, everything was delicious. it was like the OIAJ Fairy :-)

16. Faith @ lovelyascharged says

I’ve never done OIAJ…only because I have mediocre expectations and I dont want to be disappointed!

I have been patiently waiting for my jar to empty as well! I have never done oats in the jar before either but it looks so good!

I wish my man would wake up early and work out with me too. He always has to go after work.

Therefore dinner is never until 8-8:30 which means I am starving by the time he arrives!

I need to start doing interval training, the marathon I am running in September is supposedly all hills – so thanks for sharing this! Sadie looks like such a sweetie.

I love the captions for Sadie, she totally has her own voice in my head as I read… is that funny? I can literally hear this little cartoon voice saying “Noooooo!”

20. Beth says

I couldn’t stop laughing at the caption on the first picture of Ryan and Sadie. Then I scroll down to hear about the lizard falling on Ryan. Too funny!

Oh the glaring that would occur if someone said to me while laughing “it’s just a lizard.” Seriously? Just? Although since it happened to a big strong man, LOL 😉

22. Michelle @ Lifewithacrazypup says

I like Sadie’s comments. At least I know I’m not the only crazy person that talks for her dog. We’re a rare bread!

23. Angela says

The last picture you posted of Sadie reminded me of the Youtube video, “Ultimate Dog Tease.” I definitely recommend watching it! If Sadie is anything like my Corgi, Macaroni, she has similar sentiments to the dog on the video.

24. Tori (Fresh Fruition) says

Oats in a jar are the best! You seriously can’t beat it :) The perfect way to finish off a jar of nut butter!

I have a PB jar waiting for oats in a jar, looks like I just found my inspiration for its flavor combo tomorrow :) looks so delicious! PB + chocolate= heaven

I LUV interval workouts…don’t they make the time fly by so much faster?!

I was getting bored of my usual interval so I changed it up a bit & did longer intervals. Typically I just do 1 min intervals but today incorporated 2 minute intervals…kicked my BOOTY in a fantastic way! Will post wkout tmrw at lizashlee.com if you want to check it out.

Don’t ya love that you can have a healthy breakfast that consists of chocolate & peanut butter…mmm…mmm!

Have a wonderful day!!!

27. Meg says

Just wanted to say how much I love your blog. Peanut butter, chocolate, fitness & fashion, a girl after my own heart. I started out reading your fashion page and slowly moved over to reading as much about your workouts and breakfasts. I’ve been smoothie inspired lately and I’m loving it! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and being an inspiration! And why have I never thought of eating oats out of a peanut butter jar. I’m about to have an empty one now..

28. Courtney says

When you do your interval workouts and you alternate two different speeds for 1 minute each at a time, do you do that manually? Or is there some way to set a treadmill/elliptical to do that for you? I just picture constantly pushing the buttons up and down to be frustrating… or that I’ll forget to do it!

29. Mel (Mmm Stories) says

I’ve gotten my family hooked on OIAJ – though we usually make the overnight version! Must try the hot oats!

Just wondering – what tool did you use to add the captions into your photos? Picasa?

It’s about time you’ve tried oats in a peanut butter jar! :) I’ve never had a lizard fall on me, but Cole (my puppy) chases them around our back patio. He sees them on the screen by our pool and crouches down, and basically acts like a lion hunting it’s prey. It’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen! You should tell Ryan to train Sadie to protect him 😉

I have yet to try the oats in a pb jar, my pb is almost done so I am excited!! It was raining where I live, so it was just as hard for me to pull myself out of bed, that and I have one more week left of teaching until summer break!

32. Er says

I think I am one of the only people who DOESN’T like oats in a jar. It skeeved me out! Yuck. I’ll stick with them in a bowl and keep giving my empty jars to my puppy : )

Mmmmm…I feel for Sadie, but what an awesome idea! I just polished off a jar of skippy last night and this is DEFINITELY my next brunch/pre-dinner/whatever-it-is-I’m making it! :)

Whaaaa! I’ve been giving my empty pb jars to my pup as well. Time to give this a shot! I live in Phoenix and we have the same kinds of lizards…my dog chases them around the backyard like mad, and nabbed one yesterday. He was bringing it to me when I straight up screamed. Yuck!

35. Vivianne says

Oh my goodness, I’ve always just scraped mine and thrown them out but this sounds delicious. I wouldn’t have thought to throw the cocoa in there. YUM YUM YUM!