5 x 50 Workout

Yesterday I was searching for some quality workouts online in an effort to change things up a bit at the gym when I stumbled upon a 5 x 50 workout from Men’s Health magazine.

The workout consisted of 50 repetitions of five different exercises, repeated five times through. I saved this particular workout for the end of my workout, so I just did it one time through, but I really enjoyed it!

The exercises included:

• Sumo squats
  • Jumping jacks
  • Mountain climbers
  • Pushups
  • Crunches

I split the pushups and crunches up into two back-to-back sets of 25 because 25 pushups (even done the girly way) own me. It ended my workout with a bang!

Before tackling the Men’s Health workout, I completed 30 minutes of intervals on the treadmill that looked a lot like Tuesday’s interval workout, followed by 5 minutes on the stair master and 10 minutes on the elliptical.

The Hover

Once I was done, I  then headed up to the loft where Ryan was finishing his workout. I preceded to wait patiently for him to finish…

Well, I thought it seemed like I was patiently waiting until we were on our walk with Sadie and I asked him how his workout went this morning.

pb2 bagel 002

He replied saying it was good, but a little rushed at the end.

I said I was fine waiting for him to finish and hoped it wasn’t me who made him feel rushed. I was simply “hovering.”

To this he replied, “The ‘hover’ means hurry up. I use it all the time when we’re shopping. You can’t fool me. I invented that move.”

Okay, so maybe he was right. Winking smile Hover = Hurry up.  Having someone hover over you may be the most irritating thing in the world, so it works like a charm to get people moving! Muhaha!

Walk

Aside from the hover-talk, our walk with Sadie was also filled with kitty-spotting!

How cute is this little guy?

pb2 bagel 006

pb2 bagel 007

I wish my stinkin’ allergies would go away so Ryan and I could have a cat. They’re so adorable.

Breakfast was a move-move-move kind of meal because we spent a little too much time with the cat and I fell behind on my typical morning timeline.

pb2 bagel 020

Today’s meal included a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel thin, topped with chocolate PB2, frozen banana slices and chia seeds.

pb2 bagel 013

pb2 bagel 015

Delish!

Time to work! See ya ‘round lunchtime.

Comments

1. Mariah@ Apples"N" Oats says

hahaha love the hover, I always like to “stretch” to get things movin along!

2. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

I love little ginger kitties 🙂 One of my dogs absolutely loves cats & the other tries to eat them. Learned that when we fostered a couple of kittens! So no cats for me either 🙁

3. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

That circuit workout sounds intense! I’d have to break up the pushups too — yikes!

I don’t know that I could do 50 Sumo Squats or Mountain Climbers. You are a machine! Hee.

Oh, the hover was definitely invented by men at the mall. The wander (you know when you wander all over the mall to shop) was invented by women 🙂

The hover…haha, I love that! I think my husband does that to me in the kitchen and mostly every time I say, “if you’re not going to do something, then get out!” It makes me VERY uncomfortable…still love him though!

I’m not gonna lie, but I steal the hubby’s men health the odd time and see what the workouts are like in there…they do have some good stuff and I hope you’re hurting (in a good way) over what you did!

I just started a new job and Im trying to figure out a schedule that works best for me…..and I am curious as to your morning schedule! What time do you get up, gym it, walk with sadie/breakfast, and need to be at work for? It seems like you have so much time to get a lot done in the morning and I want to find a way to feel the same!!! Thanks!!!

7. Tori (Fresh Fruition) says

Haha I can hover sometimes without realizing it. It’s awesome that he’s so understanding!

Awww, kitty 😀

8. Kaylyn says

That workout looks great! I am constantly on the hunt for new workout ideas – i will definitely be giving that one a go today!
    How long do you usually workout for in the mornings? about an hour?
    I find that I get so bored after about 30min

I like yo style. I’m queen of the hover… buuut I hate when it’s done to me. 😉

and I’ve been master of the bagelthins + strawberry cream cheese + strawberry jam + sliced banana + cinnamon. try it… promise it’s to diiie for!

Since you love your cutie Sadie so much…would you mind sharing this link on your blog or Twitter? http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wedding/9NXFU5BUZCLK

I’ve organized a registry on Amazon benefiting the Joplin, Missouri Humane Society who is currently handling hundreds of dogs and cats who lost their owners in the tornado a few days ago. I’m calling it the Blogs for Dogs Registry! We’ve already sent over $4,000 in supplies. You can visit my blog at to read more.

11. mel says

Cats are cute…but dogs steal my heart! Sadie needs a doggie brother or sis!! I swear two dogs are easier than one b/c they entertain each other

Haha I’m such a hoverer but i dont feel too bad about as so is the rest of my family! Love that circuit idea, although I think once will own ne…5 rounds may just kill me!

13. Mel (Mmm Stories) says

My dream is to get a dog and cat together! (It’s a “Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul” story just waiting to happen)

14. Sarah Elizabeth says

Adorable! Do you have a new camera? Your photos have been looking extra great lately. Also, I love the little captions!

15. Silvia Lopez-Cobo Lopez says

How do you like PB2? I just got Chocolate PB2 two days ago and I really love it..! It is so easy to mix it with 1 TB of water. Once I am done with Choc PB2, I will try the regular PB2. 🙂

16. Chloe (South Beach Girl) says

Girl pushups absolutely kill me so I’m impressed you did 50 of them!
    And hovering = genius 😉

17. Katie says

Hey Julie! I’ll see you at the Urban Runner: Blogger Summit. I’ve been reading your blog for a while now so it will be fun to meet!

• says

Ohhhhh Happy sometimes stands on our feet, and the our Puppy School teacher at PetSmart told us it was because she was trying to show dominance! That was news to me!! So now we make sure she know’s “whos boss” whenever she puts her paw on one of our feet. Interesting, huh?

Does Sadie get along with cats? Since we are thinking about getting a vizsla in the future, I was just wondering if they get along with cats because a kitty cat would be nice for the future too!!

• Maria says

Agreed. PB2? Really? That stuff is vile. The small amount of food you eat for meals is sad. I’m surprised more people don’t think the same.

• says

i genuinely like pb2. not everyone does and that’s fine! i agree that it’s no replacement for the real deal, but i do enjoy it. also, please know that i don’t blog everything i eat.

• says

hi samantha! i think the above commenter replied to you on accident. to answer your question, sadie is funny with cats! ones that move around intrigue her and she wants to mess with them, but ones that are still she could care less about!

19. Kelly Freisen says

with all the exercising you do, you should be eating upwards of 2,500cals, not under 2000! Girl, youre gonna stay skinny fat forever if you dont change something! (to be clear, im not trying to offend you or sound rude, its just an observation!)

20. Abby says

Lol…My bf has perfected the hover when we are doing something that I enjoy (shopping). It doesn’t work the other way around though unfortunately!

I work for Nike, and one of our fitness trainers had turned 50, so for her birthday workout she had us do 50 reps of all of her favorite exercises. Needless to say, it was a really hard class! Her nickname is Death by Beth!!

I’ve always wondered how Happy would act if we got a cat… I think they’re cute, too 🙂

BTW, I TOTALLY do the *hover* — love that term you came up for it! But to make things fair, Ryan does the hover, too. It sure does get the point across to move things along…

I can’t wait to try this 5 x 50! Always looking for something that me and the boyf can do together and this seems like quite the challenge! thanks!

This comment is super delayed, I know, but I’ve been a reader of your blog for a while and have only commented once and wanted to again regarding cats. I really wanted a kitten but resigned to never getting one because my husband is allergic to cats. But then I discovered that Siberian cats are a hypoallergenic breed! If you’re serious about getting a cat, you should look into Siberians. They are great cats, almost like dogs! You can see on my blog here: http://runner-foodie.blogspot.com/2010/07/dimitri.html and here: http://runner-foodie.blogspot.com/2011/04/dimitri-stories.html

Great post thanks for the workout! My favorite part is in the picture of you eating your breakfast and Sadie creeping in the background!! hahaha My cats always seem to find their way into my pictures and videos. The best part is that it’s like they know their in the pic but have a look on their faces like “oh your taking a picture?” 🙂 Love your blog girl!

26. Tori says

Oh my goodness.. did the 5 x 50 today after doing the elliptical for 30 minutes. Told myself I was going to do 5 sets and I was feeling great until after the push-ups…so hard! But it felt great. I did one set though. Maybe next time I’ll get to two! I recently just got introduced to your blog and love it 🙂 great posts

27. Maura says

Hello, I stumbled across your blog on Pinterest. Can you repost the 5by50 workout by Men’s Health? I think they took the page down from their site. Thank you!

28. Stephanie says

I was inspired by this workout and combined the 5 x 50 concept with the idea of your “burpee sandwich” workout for a pretty intense (and definitely sweaty) cardio circuit. It consisted of 50 reps each of jumping jacks, plyometric lunges, mountain climbers, high knees, and jump squats, with 5 burpees sandwiched in between each one. (I rested for about a minute after each circuit and 10-15 seconds when I needed to catch my breath during the circuit, which was pretty often.) I repeated the whole thing 5 times through. The time flew by and it was a blast!

Thanks for being my fitsperation today! 🙂

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!