30 Second Rest Workout

As I headed to the gym this morning, I found myself wishing that my gym offered a BodyPump class on Friday mornings. I love the fast pace and intense muscle burn I get from BodyPump and have a hard time replicating it in my own workouts.

Today I decided I would take a cue from BodyPump and up the pace of my strength-trainig workout, allowing only a 30-second rest in between sets. I also split up my 20 minutes of cardio into two 10-minute spurts which helped my workout fly by!

In the end, my workout looked like this:

Exercise Weights Reps Sets
Leg extensions 35 lbs. 15 3
Leg press 130 lbs. 15 3
Elliptical   10 min.
Hamstring ball curls Bodyweight 20 3
Push ups (girly) Bodyweight 15 3
Elliptical   10 min.
Shoulder raises 10 lbs. 15 3
Bicep curls 15 lbs. 15 3
Tricep dips Bodyweight 15 3
Various crunches Bodyweight 20 4

It was a pretty decent workout, if I do say so myself!

I arrived home and promised Sadie I would take her on a walk after breakfast, since my tummy was grumbling! Sometimes after a big dinner, I awake the following morning feeling hungrier than usual. I don’t understand it, but I listen to the ol’ tummy and give it what it wants.

I got to work in the kitchen, toasting two waffles and slicing up a frozen banana.

waffle with yogurt 040

I topped the remaining toasted waffle with vanilla Greek yogurt, frozen banana slices and chia seeds and dug in!

waffle with yogurt 043

Another great morning meal!

Happy Birthday to…

The first-ever man in my life.

lugano to lucerne 087

My dad!

My dad is the man with whom I can eat ridiculous amounts of chocolate marshmallow ice cream. The man who points up when there’s nothing to look at, just so he can tickle you under your chin. He’s the man who cried the most on my wedding day. The man who cannot, for the life of him, pronounce the word “edamame.” He’s the man I know I can always turn to. The man who will tell it to me straight. He’s the man who sat on my bed when I was 15, asking me to explain exactly what I meant when I said I had my first boyfriend. He’s the man with whom I can split an entire can of black olives. The man who cannot go grocery shopping without making a bee line for the bakery. He’s the man who has a passion for his family and loves “his girls” more than anything in the world. The man whom I feel so grateful to call my father.

019_GettingReadyHappy birthday, Daddy! I love you.

Comments

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to u dadster!!!!!! sounds like a great workout!! wait r u meant to rest in between sets?!.. wow i never do that.. probs explains why i hate strength training… i just go back to back to back!.. yikes!

That’s such a sweet post about your dad. :) Happy birthday to him!

Also, I understand COMPLETELY what you mean about eating a large dinner and waking up hungrier than normal–that happens to me too! I’m not sure why, but I just like to think my metabolism was super soaring over night or something. 😉 Haha, but I have no idea.

3. Jessica says

Happy Birthday to the other man in your life!! You are incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful relationship with your dad. This post definitely made me smile :-)

Lovely ode to your dad. What a lovely relationship the 2 of you share. Your post reminds me of my own dad and then I’m instantly reminded how much it can suck to live a sizeable distance away from family. On the bright side, I’ll see him this weekend. :)

Oh, and your breakfast looks delicious!

I really like this work out! Thanks for sharing! I usually do my cardio in a chunk but I think a workout like this would be really god for me.

Happy Birthday to your dad! My dad commented on my blog yesterday and it was soo sweet. Fathers are the best!

Awe! Happy Birthday Dad!

BodyPump is a fantastic class but you’re right, your workout looks great! I just realized that with you blogging full time, you’re going to get to try some really awesome classes at the gym during the day. How fun! I always want to take the 9:30AM classes…. I wish they’d move those to the PM hours.

7. steph says

A very happy birthday to your Daddy!

I can see through your pictures what a strong relationship you both have with each other. You’re very lucky.

“I ended up eating one of the toasted waffles before plating my breakfast because I’m an animal.” –> LOL!!!! I did the same thing this morning, except with a few handfuls of Kashi Heart to Heart cereal… it’s just too good to wait!

Happy Birthday to Daddy PBF!

9. Melissa says

I must be a sap today because I actually started tearing up when I read your post about your dad. That is so sweet!

10. Robyn says

I totally just teared up reading your birthday message to your daddy! I’m such a sap! Girls and their dad’s…. such a special thing! I can only pray I give Ryan that gift someday!

Happy Bday PB Daddy! You made one awesome lady and friend for me. :)

And Julie – love splitting up cardio into my weights like that. It makes everything seem harder too. I love how it keeps the momentum going.

12. Heather says

Congratulations on your career move!! You will be happy you did followed your heart!!

Weird question~ with getting up early and going to the gym and eating breakfast do you eat a mid morning snack too? I have been doing early mornings 5AM as well. If you do snack what do you have?

Thx! Heather

• says

Oh yes!! I ALWAYS have a morning snack… sometimes two! My favorites are a microwavable quesadilla, Greek yought with mixed nuts stirred in, an apple with peanut butter… or just a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter. 😉

13. Sam @ Mom At The Barre says

Such a sweet post! Reading over how your dad asked you “to explain exactly what you meant when you said you had your first boyfriend” made me smile. You’re fortunate to have such a lovely relationship!

I started reading your blog recently and wanted to say good luck with all the new changes that are going on in your life. Look forward to reading your posts about them!

Great workout! I like the idea of splitting the cardio in between strength moves! I just might have to try that soon! I did a 6-mi interval run this AM and was SUPER sweaty & happy afterwards…runner’s high?! :)

It sounds like you have a very close relationship with your dad…how special for you two!! Happy Birthday to your dad!:)

Happy Friday to you! Hope it is a lovely day!

15. Steph says

Julie that was such a beautiful tribute to your dad. Only a father and a daughter know this special bond and how no matter how old, you will always be daddy’s little girl. I absolutely love the photo of you and your father on your wedding day, it truly captures the love between a daughter and father.

Happy Birthday Julie’s Dad!

16. Joanie Lepping says

Your description of your Daddy brought tears to my eyes! I just love relationships with Dads, mine is also one that I cherish more than I’ll ever know how to explain.

Happy Birthday Julie’s papa!

Oh Julie!! This post brought joyful hears and a huge smile!! Happy birthday to your lovely father!! I hope he has the best birthday, with the people who love him by his side. I am totally crying now, thinking of my daddy!! lol xoxo =]

18. Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! says

Aww–you can really tell that you LOVE your dad!! I bet he’s glad to have you as a daughter :)

That is such a cute birthday post – and I don’t blame your dad for the bakery thing!! Who wouldn’t go straight for it! Looks like a great workout this morning – I better get my but in gear, go for run and then do some abs!!

20. Shelby says

hahaaa I cracked up at the “I’m an animal”
    you are too funny!
    I feel like that a lot!

Happy birthday Julie’s dad!!!!

This post is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. you are so lucky to have the dad you do! he is wonderful!!! <3

21. Katie @ Katie Rose Fitness says

I feel hungrier the next morning after a big dinner too. My explanation is that my stomach got stretched out the night before so now it needs more food! That doesn’t really make sense!

22. Chelsea Cooley says

Your comment about explaing your first boyfriend made me laugh out loud, and I can totally relate! I love I’m not the only girl who is completely enamored with her dad!

Happy birthday to your dad! It’s actually my mom’s birthday today, too :)

I wish I had a good relationship with either of my parents! Def. jealous.

I always wake up hungry, it makes me wish I could get up and work out immediately, but I have to EAT!

24. Allie @ Healthy Balance, Healthy Life says

Aww! You have such a beautiful and genuine way of writing that really communicates your feelings, Julie. What you wrote about your dad brought a tear to my eye!

25. Lee @ in the pink of condition says

So adorbs! You look a lot like your dad! Such a beautiful wedding pic too

26. Alexandrina @ TheCardioQueen says

Such a sweet post! Makes me miss my dad so much more after reading this I live in Georgia and he lives in Arizona. :(

Happy Birthday to your dad!!

I watched your wedding video today and was in tears, I am such a sap, but it was so beautiful! I loved it! Such sweet things your friends and family said and Ryan looked so nervous and so happy!! I think I will be nervous too ! I know Mike will! He already said he is now, lol! He is so excited/nervous! U know how it is, marrying your everything, its day you dream of, and then it happens! Its the BEST! I can not wait!

xoxo <3

Hi Julie! I wanted to let you know that I’ve been following your posts more regularly since your big announcement and love what you are doing here! I have a chocolate lab, Hunter, who loves peanut butter too and is my all around best friend, so I especially love reading about Sadie :) I know my comment doesn’t have too much to do with this post, but wanted to let you know that I love what you’re doing! :)

Julie I applaud you for continuing to wake up to go to the gym now that you WFH! You go girl! And happy birthday to your pops…I love that picture of you at your wedding because it reminds me of seeing my dad for the first time in my wedding dress at my wedding. I will cherish those pics forever!

Hi Julie!

Would it be okay if I linked back to this post on my blog?

I used to think waffles and yogurt would be gross, but this post inspired me and I tried it today. I LOVED IT! All thanks to this post!

I hope that’s okay! :)

• says

haha how does she say it? my dad always says “edananne.” my sister and i cannot figure out WHY it’s such a hard word for him! but then again, he says “chimney” like “chimley.”

• says

My mom says it similar to that, only she sounds more like a slur of “-am” and”em” syllables… haha I think that she knows she can’t say it, so she tries to brush over it like no one will notice but instead she sounds drunk. It’s actually the cutest thing ever because then she’ll start cracking herself up and try and try but never get it.
        I’m actually laughing out loud now just thinking about it!

My mom says other words funny too, not chimney but other random words.

Gotta’ love ’em!