And So I Had It

At the gym this morning, I took a cue from Ryan and decided to incorporate some intense incline walking into my treadmill workout. I wasn’t feeling particularly creative, so I asked him what workout he was doing and loosely mimicked his plan.

Ryan began at an 8.0 incline and increased the incline on his treadmill by 1.0 every minute until he got to a 15.0 incline, while still maintaining a 4.0 pace. That seemed a bit intense for my liking and I wanted to included some running in my workout, so I changed things up a bit and completed the following 35-minute session:

Minutes Pace Incline
20-30 6.5 1.0
30-31 4.0 8.0
31-32 4.0 9.0
32-33 4.0 10.0
33-34 4.0 11.0
34-35 4.0 1.0

(If you’re a fan of mixing up running with incline walking, you may also enjoy this workout.)

While I was running, the song “Bicycle Race” by Queen started blasting. I find it ironic that I love listening to a song about riding a bike when I’m running. “I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my biiiiike.” It’s a good one.

I rounded out my workout with five minutes on the rowing machine and 10 minutes on the elliptical.

I have a meeting scheduled for 11 a.m. at Starbucks today and figured I would probably order a Frappuccino to enjoy at that time. Everything in my head said not to make a smoothie for breakfast this morning since I’d be sipping on something cold and creamy again in a few hours… but you know how that goes.

The minute I tell myself I can’t have something or shouldn’t eat something, I want even more.

And so I had it.

smoothie 113

Hooray for smoothies! Smile

smoothie 114

You better believe I licked the cup clean.

Time to make my first cup of coffee from our new coffee maker!

Question of the Morning

If you tell yourself that you shouldn’t eat/buy/do a certain thing, does it make you more or less likely to do it?

Comments

Incline walking is so good for your butt :) hahaha!

Putting something off limits makes me crave it like mad… but I completely kicked McDonalds out of my life almost 2 years ago (2 years in September) and I’m so happy I did… I needed to make it completely off limits because I was a tad bit addicted.

2. Robyn says

100%! This week, I was trying my hardest to limit things that aren’t great for me because I know there will be so many treats with my bday celebrations (the big 3-0 is Tuesday and the celebrations start today). Also, this unfortunately coincides with a hurting I-T band that is making me only be able to ride the bike and not run. BAD TIMING because I can’t burn off the treats! Just when I tell myself to cut back I have made a list of the things I want! This canolli cake is calling my name along with the new chips ahoy cookies that seem to be advertised every 3 seconds with the ooey gooey centers! Normally I’d never crave these things!

3. Meredith says

Hey Julie!

Thanks for a new workout post! It looks great- I love incline walking and running intervals! Have you ever tried Tabata?
    You up the speed to a fast sprint and sprint for 20 sec then jump onto the sides of the treadmill for a 10 sec break.. Then hop right back into a sprint! You do this 8 more times- its killer!

And the Kuerig is awesome!! In the winter you will DEFINITELY want to try out the hot chocolate- yum! :)

I agree! For food, when I tell myself I should stop from eating all the cookie jar, I’m always like “ok, last one”, or when I buy something or want to, I don’t really need it, but definitely want it! So I think about it for days and when it doesn’t stop, it means I should buy it. Thinking of what, I saw that green dress at Zara…

5. Jen G. says

I’m actually the exact opposite — I’ll spend ages going back and forth over whether I should do something (even something I know I’m supposed to do, like going for a run after work). But once I make a decision, it’s final.

6. dana a. says

yay for starbucks! you will love your keurig! i use mine every single day for a cup of coffee and even sometimes at night with decaf. i order from bigcatcoffee, shoffee, or alpine coffee for good deals if you need more k-cups. a few of my favorite are: green mountain island coconut, timothy’s decaf columbian and gloria jeans cappuccino.

this post was meant for yesterday but i couldn’t get to your blog for some reason….

have a great day!

Can I just say I LOVE that you are trying out your new coffee maker right before you head to Starbucks? haha I love the taste of coffee!! But occasionally I have to go half-calf or decalf because I’ll get all jittery from caffeine overload!

Yes! That definitely happens to me! Last night I told myself i would NOT eat the chocolate covered almonds… an hour later, i grabbed a handful. they were delicious though and my craving was cured… if i waited i’d probably gobble down the whole container.

9. Kelly @ notsorockyroad says

Definitely telling myself NO makes me want to it more. Just like when we’re kids and our parents tell us we can’t do something!! :)

It’s so true! It’s just like when someone says “okay, you can think of anything else, but DON’T think about elephants.” Go ahead, try it, is all you can see a big giant elephant? lol, maybe it’s just me ;)

Do you ever munch on protein bars? If so, which do you prefer? I noticed that some have an extremely high sugar content, so I try to eat the Think Thin bars, but haven’t really heard many opinions on them.
    Thanks,
    Dawn

12. Ryah says

I’m more likely to eat something when I tell myself I can’t eat it if its already in my house. If I tell myself I can’t buy something than I usually don’t. Unless it’s on sale, than all will power goes out the window. :(

13. Chloe (South Beach Girl) says

The same things happens to me – which is why I try and indulge every once in a while with small treats that are worth it to me. A smoothie is definitely not an indulgence though, so you should have one three times a day if you want it!

If I tell myself that I can’t have something, I really do spend a lot of time thinking about it. If I tell myself I COULD have it, but there are better options…a little easier to pass it up.

ONe of the best things I read when I first started reading blogs went something like this : “You can have this again” and I think I found that sometimes I eat so fast or so much because it’s like I’m afraid I wont have it again (either later or the next day) so when I tell myself I can have it again, I suddenly don’t care to eat as much. Also, like the above comment, if I tell myself I can have whatever I want I just choose not to, it works wonders! Have a great day =)

Yes! I am the same exact way! Whenever I tell myself that I can’t have something, I start craving it way more than I would have if I just had a little bit. This is what always used to happen when I was on diets and it always worked against me! Now that I don’t have any stedfast rules about what I can or cannot have, I find it’s so much easier!

17. Jenna Lee says

I TOTALLY agree – I am such a sucker for things I shouldn’t eat/buy/have/yearn for (etc. etc…) hahaha!

PS. Ryan is a beast! I don’t even think the treads at my school gym even goes UP to an incline that high… hot dang!

18. Danielle says

If I want it I better have it. Telling myself I can’t/shouldn’t/won’t just means I will have it.

I LOVE Queen! Thank you putting that song in my head cause now it’s stuck. It’s not one of my favorites either. LOL I’m doomed until I hear another song that will take it’s place.

19. Erin @ Naturally Addicted says

Absolutely more likely…. once I get an idea in my head, there is no erasing it! Even if I try. I love your smoothies, they always look so delicious! I need to start making mine extra thick.

There is a theory in psychology that relates to this. For example, if you are suffering from insomnia, the treatment is to try not to fall asleep.

I chalk smoothie love up to addiction…and I am addicted:)

I have a smoothie daily too…..they are just sooo tasty!

21. Vivianne says

Oh my goshies your smoothies always look so fluffy and delicious! It must be the xanthan gum you use. I’m going to really have to get some of that soon!

22. Lindsay says

OMG I attempted this workout this morning, and I couldn’t completely finish it. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I feel like I’m in good shape, but maybe not? haha. I love your blog, and it makes me want to a healthy living one of my own. However, I’m in grad school and don’t really have time to make food from creative recipes, so I feel like it wouldn’t be that interesting…

23. Danica says

I’m the exact same way, particularly with food. If I say to myself that I can’t have any or anymore of something, that’s when I want it the most! I avoid saying “no” to avoid that situation : )

I imagine Ryan with an incline that high looking like one of the ladies at my gym. She grips the treadmill so tight that it looks like she is about to fall off. And sometimes, I really do think she’s about to fall. This incline treadmill business is too much of an extreme sport for my liking.

25. Anne says

I’ve recently decided to not “diet” anymore and to change my whole way of eating and looking at foods. I’ve done dieting in the past and whenever I stopped, I’d gain again. (Not that I have a ton to lose, but I’d like to be in “baby-shape” very soon.) So recently I’ve been snacking on fruit instead of empty calories and the motivation to think of getting in “baby-shape” and staying healthy throughout a pregnancy and after the baby has been so helpful! I think having a realistic goal in mind as well as healthy options is important, so I don’t tell myself I can’t have something, I try to think of a better alternative that’s healthier.
    P.S. You inspired me to try green smoothies and I have one almost every day!

26. Lea says

I owe my workout today to you. I climbed on the treadmill this morning and climbed right back off. Wasn’t feeling it. Did a little blog scoping, found your routine and suddenly found my momentum. Just competed the whole thing, inclines and all, that was tough! Thank you!!

27. Kaitlan says

So I randomly found your blog off pinterest and I am obsessed! I’ve always loved working out and cooking healthy, but as you probably know, it’s tough to stay fit while in college. Not to mention I have spring break coming up so your blog came up at the perfect time and gave me the motivation to get back in the shape that I used to be in! Quick question, when you do the walking on an incline on the treadmill do you hold on to the handles like I do? I just want to make sure I’m not cheating. Thank you!