Latitude 31

The seafood lover in me was one happy camper last night!

Ryan and I had dinner plans at Latitude 31, a restaurant located on the pier in Jekyll Island.

The restaurant was just as beautiful inside as it was outside.

Check out the view from my seat at our table!

Not too shabby!

Once we started perusing the menu, a bunch of different things popped out at us. The moment I saw the blue crab and brie quesadilla appetizer, I mentioned it to Ryan and he agreed that it sounded fantastic.

The crabmeat was plentiful and the brie was warm and oozing. A great selection!  I forgot to snap a picture of the bread basket at our table, but I had two rolls that were warm and slightly sweet and really good. They looked like generic rolls when they were placed in front of us, but they were absolutely delicious!

I arrived at the restaurant hoping for steamed shellfish for dinner and stayed true to my wishes by selection an order of a dozen oysters as my entrée.

My oysters were good, but Ryan’s dinner stole the show.

He ordered the shrimp ‘n’ grits and oooooh myyyy gooooosh. It was so creamy, flavorful and perfectly southern. If we visit Jekyll Island again, I am definitely ordering this dish. The fried block in the middle of the plate was actually the grits, and you had to break into it with your fork and mix it around in the creamy sauce. Unbelievable. I’m seriously salivating just thinking about it.

Before leaving, we asked out waiter for dessert recommendations and he suggested the xango cheesecake, a caramel banana cheesecake, fried, dusted in cinnamon and sugar and served with whipped cream.

We had about an hour and a half to kill before we needed to be at back at the Georgia Sea Turtle Center for our nighttime turtle walk, so we ventured out around the island, stopping by the fishing pier to watch the sunset. Since we both have a fifth stomach when it comes to dessert, we also swung by Dairy Queen for a Hawaiian Blizzard to share.

Then it was time for our turtle walk!

Unfortunately we didn’t see any sea turtles nesting on the beach, but we did see a ghost crab and a sea turtle nest. It was nice to simply walk on the beach at night. Most of the hotels on Jekyll Island were built a distance off the beach, so it was very dark and peaceful out by the water.

Once our walk was over, we came back to the hotel and crashed hard! It was a long but really fun day.

Today will also be full of adventure. We’re about to grab breakfast before heading out for a guided kayak tour. I hope Ryan and I get a double kayak, so I can let him do all the rowing impress him with my rowing skills.

Catch ya later, alligators!

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

Ok, elaborate on the shrimp and grits please. So the block is the grits, is the yellow stuff below it just the sauce? Either way it looks insanely decadent

2. Tori (Fresh Fruition) says

Oh my gosh, fried grits AND fried cheesecake? That meal is a winner. And in a gorgeous place, too! Looks like an amazing evening 🙂

Loving your dress, by the way!

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and gorgeous dress…
    sounds like such a nice night! i LOVE da BEACH!!
    and i so have a fifth stomach too when it comes to dessert!

I like your outfit coordination 🙂

I also have a fifth stomach when it comes to desserts! I don’t hate it though.

I have seen the turtles lay their eggs in FL (Palm Beach) and it’s amazing…it’s gross but i cant stop watching. I hope you get to see some!

5. Amber says

Hey Julie! I was wondering what style your Micheal Kors bag is? I just love it.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

6. ellalinea says

oh dear that food looks amazing!! Especially ryan’s entree, so rich and creamy!

The dessert also looks amazing, although the icecream would always come 1st to me 😉

Icecream rocks!!

Oh woahhh Ryan’s dinner DOES look and sound delicious! I’d do a major trade off 😉

Glad ya’ll had a beautiful dinner and Hawaiian dessert ALL the way – that Blizzard is a childhood fave 🙂

Love the dress, that shade of blue looks great! The whole meal sounds delicious, from start to finish! You guys are such troopers when it comes to dessert- my kinda ppl 🙂

You two are so cute, seriously cutest couple 🙂
    & I think that picture of Ryan is funny (the one where the dish is in front of him) because it looks like he is ‘feed me feed me’ with his knife & fork in hand, ready to dig in! Haha 😀 But, looking at that dish I would want to dig in too, it looks so good- I’ve never seen grits in a ‘brick-type’ form.
    I’m thinking that recipe definitely needs to be re-created 😉
    Hope you guys continue to enjoy your weekend!!

That dinner looks delicious! My family and I go to the beach at Topsail Island in NC every year which is a “sea turtle sanctuary”. there are nests everywhere on the beach and we’ve been there a few times when they hatched at night and see them making their way to the water. They’re so cute when they’re that little! Unfortunately, the statistics of how many actually make it and don’t get eaten is so small it’s so sad!

Shrimp and Grits… otherworldly. Mmm mmm.

Whenever I get oysters, I always need an appetizer or a dessert to round out the meal, but they feel like such a luxury dish.

Hope Ryan.. I mean you both don’t work too hard today on the kayak!!

That dessert looks amazing…but since you didn’t say much about it, I’m guessing Ryan’s dinner took the cake lol! I think I have a sixth stomach, so good for you for waiting a bit before stopping at DQ! haha

13. Rachel says

Mmm I love steamed oysters too, but it looks like Ryan’s dinner really takes the cake!

My mom makes really fantastic grits that are similar to that (but not actually deep fried) – after cooking them on the stove, she pours them into a 9×12 metal baking pan and lets them cool. Keep them covered. You can prepare them a while before everything else is ready. When you’re ready to heat up the grits again, just cut out a square (or however much you want) 🙂 and brown them on the outside. Plain cooking spray works, but a tiny bit of butter makes them really good. They’re not totally creamy like the ones you describe, but you can definitely mix them up into whatever else you’re eating, and it’s delicious!!

I was wondering, what hotel are you guys staying at? My husband and I are looking to take a close by vacation (we live in middle GA) and Jekyll has been one of the contenders. Thanks Julie!!

Wow Jekyll Island looks beautiful! And you look gorgeous too, Julie!

I’m not a huge fan of fresh oysters/clams/mussels, but Ryan’s dish looks amazing! I hope you have an even more awesome day today 🙂

My hubby always picks the best dinners! I hate it when that happens because I end up feeling guitly for stealing too many bites! Lucky for me he doesn’t get mad 🙂 Looks like you two had a fun little trip! Your dress is super cute!

Oh my goodness–I want everything in this post! (well, except the oysters; no offense, but I they’re nasty!) Is it strange that the thing I want the most though isn’t the expensive, fancy restaurant fare, but the cheap DQ blizzard? Haha. I’ve never had one but they look delicious!

the presentation of your meals is amazing! but i love that you capped it off with a trip to DQ…there is no such thing as too much dessert.

it looks like your trip is off to a fabulous start and have fun kayaking! i’ve been only once and had a blast, i really want to go again. 🙂

oh, and seriously you guys are the cutest couple, i love your dress!

18. katrina says

This may sound weird, but I’m glad you didn’t see any mama turtles.

I went to one of those places in Bundaberg, Australia to see the giant sea turtles laying their eggs on the beach and it was one of the worst things I have done. Not because of the tour or the company or anything, but because of the guilt I felt while watching.

I think the the turtles laying eggs should be a private moment for the mama turtle, not a time to be surrounded by tourists taking pictures and crowding. They had rules for us to try and not let the turtle know we were there or cause her stress but I’m positive she could could feel the ground moving and was aware we were there.

ohhh man those shrimp n grits looked good! Is it weird the second most delicious looking thing was the Dairy Queen? We don’t have them in NY and that blizzard looks amaaazing. I hope they still have the Hawaiin Blizzard when I visit Omaha in July. Hope you’re having fun kyaking!

20. Emma @ Coming Up Easy says

Only in America would you get fried cheesecake!!! The restaurant looked fantastic, even to a non seafood lover like myself!

What a lovely vacation! I was just saying that I need to go to an island. All my life living in MA, I’ve never been to Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard.

Looks like you’re having a great time! Have fun kayaking!

Yum your dinner looks amazing, and it looks like you guys are having such a fun vacation. CONGRATS on the career move to blogging and freelancing!! I’ve been super busy the last few weeks and just caught up on your blog yesterday. Your blog is already so good and so well documented, it’ll be even more fun to read now! 🙂

That is such an awesome dessert. Hate to break your bubble, but they even sell a Xango dessert in the middle of Alaska! Tok, Alaska – Fast Eddies Restaurant… Best burgers in the state.. but they have an xango. Since I worked there I know they get it through FSA (Food Service of America)… Looks like it’s so good the whole country gets it.

They serve theirs with caramel, chocolate, and a heaping amount of vanilla icecream.

I want to try the Shrimp and Grits… looks soo good. 🙂 What a view too on the water.

I drop a comment whenever I like a post on a site or I have something to valuable to
    contribute to the discussion. Usually it is a result of the sincerness communicated in the article
    I looked at. And after this article Latitude 31 |
    Peanut Butter Fingers. I was actually excited enough to post a leave a
    responsea response 🙂 I do have a couple of questions for you
    if you tend not to mind. Could it be just me or does it look like a few of
    the remarks appear like they are coming from brain dead visitors?
    😛 And, if you are writing on other places, I’d like to follow you. Would you make a list every one of all your communal sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?