Cinnamon Chia Seed Granola

This afternoon has been both productive and lazy.

Lazy in that Ryan and I spent an hour by the pool reading magazines…

cinnamon chia seed granola 006

And productive in that we started packing up pictures and things around our apartment for our big move.

cinnamon chia seed granola 005

In the middle of the laziness and productivity, we ate!

cinnamon chia seed granola 003

Lunch included Asian veggie burgers with carrot sticks and bread and butter pickles.

cinnamon chia seed granola 004

Snack time occurred shortly after when I decided to get a jump-start on my latest freelance piece and do some recipe experimenting in the kitchen.

I present to you, cinnamon chia seed granola!

cinnamon chia seed granola 011

Yum!

If you love the taste of cinnamon and nutmeg and the textured crunch of chia seeds, this granola will be right up your alley.

cinnamon chia seed granola 016

I made a small batch and between me and Ryan it was completely gone in about five minutes.

Cinnamon Chia Seed Granola

(Makes four 1/4 c. servings)

Ingredients:

• 1 c. old fashioned oats
  • 2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 300 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
  • Combine oats through nutmeg in a small bowl and stir.
  • Slowing stir honey and canola oil into oat mixture until oats are adequately coated.
  • Spread granola onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  • Let cool until oats become crunchy and enjoy!

cinnamon chia seed granola 013

Yet another totally addicting, totally delicious granola recipe!

Gotta get back to packing. Up next: Candles and other decorative items!

Comments

I love Sundays for hte fact that they can be productive and lazy! πŸ™‚ Mine has been enjoyed in a similar fashion.

I love Chia seeds and I loveee Cinnamon! I’ll have to try out this recipe. πŸ™‚

2. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

I love love love Oxygen magazine! It’s full of fantastic workouts and words of wisdom…and that veggie burger looks so good! delish lunch. Wow…cinnamon + chia + crunchy oaty goodness = very very tasty and very very moorish, i expect, lol! πŸ˜› best of luck with your packing, Julie! xyx

3. Nathan Miller says

Very hip way to change up typical “granola”. Soild. Ps you mentioned Ryan and yourself read magazines this afternoon, I assume the one you snapped a picture of is Ryans.

4. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

I freaking looooove Elizabeth! I’m glad she got on the cover. Slash chia seeds are my addiction. I love simple granola recipes!

Good luck packing! I’ve moved a lot in the past 10 or so years (since graduating high school), and the packing and unpacking never seems to get any easier!! πŸ˜› But at least you have Ryan there to help you!

6. Claudia says

Hey Julie, I just wanted to let you know that your blog is so inspiring to me! I love seeing that you never restrict any foods from your diet (especially desserts! <3 ) and how you have the perseverance to work out every day. Of all the health blogs I've checked out, yours is definitely the most realistic in regards to a healthy lifestyle: all foods in moderation, and exercise to keep fit. Keep doing what you're doing!

7. Melanee says

Not to rain on your granola-parade, but I read recently that you shouldn’t eat chia seeds raw because they will actually contribute to dehydration…you know, because they are such little water fiends, they will steal yours. I dunno how true it is, I think I read it on the Raw Food Rehab blog (not trying to pimp other blogs here, just in case you wanted to follow up on it). Maybe because you baked them this wouldn’t happen? Dunno, just a thought πŸ™‚

Dang, Elisabeth Hasselbeck! Go on wit’ yo bad self.

What are the condiments on your veggie burger? It looks just like those tiny onions that they put on McDonald’s burgers. (If I remember correctly…I haven’t had Micky D’s in a looong time!)

It’s official. I don’t trust myself around granola anymore. I made some this week and demolished it in less than a day. I asked my bf if he had been sneaking handfuls without me seeing—nope. All me. Cute, right?

10. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

Good luck with the packing — I think it is good to start like you did: pictures, then decorations, etc.

Your granola sounds fabulous!

Next time you quit your day job, you can come and be my personal chef! I loooove all of your creative, healthy recipes! How often do you go grocery shopping!?!

hi julie! i’m pretty obsessed with your blog. (pretty=completely). you’ve inspired me to start working towards being able to blog, freelance, and work from home. someday! πŸ™‚

question for you: what do you do with your old magazines? save ’em or toss ’em? i love magazines and have saved every issue i’ve read from the past 2-3 years. crazy, i know… but i couldn’t part with them! but they’ve been piling up, so today i went through, pick out my favorite articles, and recycled a BIG stack. i hope i won’t regret it in the future! just wondering what you do with your old mags!

thanks πŸ™‚

I hear you on the packing thing! Considering the two weeks before I move are completely jam packed (and I will be out of town days move the actual move), I’ve been trying to pack as much as possible. It sucks. Especially when you have been settled for years. In college it was easy to move once a year. Now, it’s much harder, especially since I’m the only one moving, the roommates are staying along with all of their stuff that has mingled with mine for years.

I absolutely love your granola recipes. I have made them all and always have a stash in the cupboard. I usually eat it with fruche or yoghurt, but sometimes I just eat it by itself.

Can’t wait to try this new one. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes. I am eager to try the peanut butter energy bites but still have not got around to make them, something else always gets in the way – like your granola. My favourite is the Peanut Butter granola. I have it with vanilla yoghurt and about 1/2 a tsp of chocolate nesquick powder.

Have fun packing – I say fun because I love packing and having a good clean out at the same time.

ahhhh! i’m actually scared to try any of your granola recipes because i have a feeling they might become an addiction! i have a weakness for sweet crunchy things with a hint of cinnamon πŸ™‚

I love your granola recipes! I made you peanut butter one and I think about it every time I see my oats int he pantry.

I need to make some more soon. πŸ™‚

Sweet – thanks for the recipe. I was looking to buy some granola last night but was getting angry with how much added sugar is in most of them. So I usually make my own granola! Will have to try this.
    Good luck with the house-hunt. Fingers crossed.

I’m allllll over that granola!
    I’m going to miss my PBF time during my travels to Thailand.. I’ll have to schedule a full day when I return just to catch up on your posts Julie :). All the best in the next few weeks! If I get a moment to blog, yours will be my first stop! <3

Yum! Definitely have to give this a go. Not sure how long it will last though…. I tend to save granola and muesli for when I eat out. Otherwise it becomes my breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and dessert.

πŸ™‚

20. Alicia says

Hey, I just noticed that you didn’t actually say in the recipe where to use the cinnamon and chia seeds. I’m assuming you combine them both with the oats but yeah πŸ™‚

I made the granola today and loooove it! So simple in both prep and ingredients – but it has a yummy flavor & crunchy. Am totally looking forward to throwing some on my yogurt later πŸ™‚ Thanks for the recipe!

I will have to try this recipe out! I have a whole bag of chia i need to use. I tried them in a protein shake and wasn’t a fan. This however looks yummy!
    Thanks for sharing! I love you blog name by the way…my husband loves PB right from the jar!