Betta Feta

House update: Our application checked out!

We have no criminal activity on our records. Our credit looks good. Sadie is not a rabid wolf. Check! Check! Check!

day on the boat 008

(Gosh, I miss her. Sad smile)

So, that’s the good news.

The bad news? The realtor thinks we won’t be able to move into the new place until September 1.

We initially were told the move in date would be August 15 and were hopeful that we’d be in a home and reunited with our long lost dog in ten days. I realize this is not that big of a deal, but Ryan and I were both really bummed. We weren’t expecting to be separated from Sadie for nearly a month an a half. I hope she doesn’t forget about us!

At least we know she’s in good hands. My mom took her to get her nails clipped today and then bought her a plain cheeseburger from McDonald’s as a reward for behaving so well. She’s livin’ the high life.

vizsla dog park 086

Workout

Today’s workout took me outside of the hotel and to a real gym!!!

I headed to the gym Ryan and I will be joining to get our memberships in order (gotta love saving money on a “family plan” membership!) and stayed for a quality workout.

I headed to the weight room to complete a total-body workout that included three sets of the following exercises:

Lower Body:

• Leg extensions
  • Leg extensions (one leg at a time, alternating legs)
  • Seated leg curls
  • Single leg split squat with exercise ball
  • Hamstring ball curls
  • Bridges (with 25 lb. weight)

Upper Body:

• Upright rows
  • Bicep curls
  • Tricep pulldowns
  • Overhead press
  • Front shoulder raises

I totally copped out of ab work today and rounded out my workout with 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Lunch

Lunch today was so delicious. As good as frozen Amy’s pocket sandwiches are in a pinch, I really do prefer fresh, homemade meals.

When Ryan and I learned about the delayed move in date to the new house, I had a “that’s it!” moment and ran out to the grocery store to grab some “real” food. If we’re going to be here for almost another month, I want some substantial grub!

Today’s lunch was inspired by the salads we had at my mother in law’s house on Saturday.

watermelon and feta salad 001

Arugula + Watermelon + Feta cheese + Snow peas + Salt + Olive oil

watermelon and feta salad 002

I love this salad. I have a feeling I would make another one for dinner tonight if I didn’t already eat all of the watermelon.

After polishing off the salad, a cup of strawberry banana Chobani Greek yogurt and some string cheese, I went back for some more feta cheese, straight from the container.

watermelon and feta salad 005

For the longest time I bought the fat free feta cheese until I tried the full-fat, full-flavor feta and switched immediately. It really is so much better. Betta feta! Winking smile

Off to do some fact checking. Doesn’t that sound like a blast!?

Comments

1. Rachelle says

I tried fat free feta once and threw away half the container, it wasn’t good. Went and bought the full fat and have never looked back! 😉
    Sorry about the house delay, hopefully it will all work out soon!

2. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Not gonna lie, I am a fan of fat-free feta! Butttt I don’t eat cheese anymore so I don’t have the joy of eating the delicious stuff. Ummm I love your couch!! It is seriously so pretty, I want one for my dorm room ahahah I am not kidding.

3. Ashley@MyFoodFitnessFun says

Congrats on the house! Where have you found your Greek yogurt for the cheapest? I know it’s more expensive than regular yogurt, but I know it’s worth it based on its nutrition.

4. Girl In The Pink says

I need some watermelon and feta in my life – still haven’t tried that combo!

I don’t do much dairy, but when I do I always do full fat! I am skeptical about non fat/low fat dairy. Just seems even more processed to me!

Sorry about the later move in date! I can relate but after a year (1 YEAR!!!) in a teeny apartment we are finally moving on Tuesday…..at least it won’t be a full year without your doggie for you! Hope that helps 😀 And full fat feta is a must!!

I love the quote on Sadie’s pic “The life I was meant to lead” haha. That chair/attoman is great looking in these pics! Full-fat is the way to go with Feta. I have copped out and done the reduced fat which surprisingly is really good. Fat free is for the birds when it comes to Feta.

September 1st isn’t that far…but I can see why it would be frustrating. Hang in there and keep your head up!

Congrats on the house! It’s a shame that you can’t move in earlier but at least this gives you time to prepare, and you can think about how you want to decorate your place. It’s exciting! 🙂

That salad looks perfect for summer!

Yay to getting that house! Boo to being away from your doggie for another month 🙁

I hate feta. I hate to say it, but it’s true. I really wish I liked it because so many bloggers seem to love the stuff and I always see recipes that include it.

9. Shayla @ The Good Life says

Feta definitely does make everything betta 😉

I 110% agree with the full fat feta…so much creamier and not as tart as the fat free…I think sometimes you just gotta go with the real thing…a lil fat won’t hurt ya 🙂

10. Brittany says

I’m honestly really sad for you about the moving situation. I would HATE living in a cramped hotel room for a month. No fun at all. 🙁 So much empathy.

11. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

Too bad about the delay in moving in, but how nice to get the house!

I love that Sadie likes McD cheeseburgers. How sweet.

Congrats on the application Julie! that’s great news! Sorry you aren’t moving as soon as you hoped though. Hotels are great for a few days but I need my kitchen and knowing your love for smoothies, I’m sure you’re missing yours too!

13. Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites says

Once you have full fat feta you can never go back! I think that’s the same for ANY cheese though haha Fat is not the enemy! I also adore full fat yogurt. SO good. I used to live in Maine where you can buy raw, full fat yogurt (and other raw dairy products) I used to buy this yogurt made from raw sheep’s milk called Ewegurt (cute name huh!?) It had a cream top layer and was one of the most decadent things I have ever tasted.

Glad to hear about the application! And don’t worry — Sadie certainly won’t forget about you. I was away from my dog for about 3 months at the end of last year, and she was SO EXCITED when I came home from London for Christmas. It was the craziest I’ve ever seen her! I’ve now been away for nearly 7 months, but I go home in a week so I can’t wait to see her and her reaction. 🙂

What a bummer on the house. Is it definite that you guys can’t move until September, or just in limbo for now?

My life changed when I realized there was such a huge difference between full fat and low fat feta. Ok, maybe that’s being a little dramatic, but I was shocked at how much better it tasted!

OMG, Sadie would NEVER EVER forget her Mom & Dad!! I’m sure she misses you both JUST as much…but I”m sure she’s enjoying time with Grand-dog-ma 🙂

Totally goofy, but I remember on road trips from Chicago to our lake house in Missouri my parents would ALWAYS buy Neeley (our Boxer) a dollar cheeseburger from McDonalds. It was the highlight of his car ride 🙂 The would sleep for the first 3 hours, have his cheeseburger, then sleep the last 4.

18. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

Congrats on the house! Hopefully you’ll be able to get in sooner, but Sept 1 will come sooner than you imagine.

PS- that salad looks amazing!

19. Sheena@inbetweenruns.com says

Julie! I just saw your wedding photo over on A Cup of Jo…

I’m staying in a hotel right now long term while our apt is getting ready (we moved across the country). It is such a pain to have such little space. I had to buy food from the grocery store too to create some “normalcy”. What a pain! Hotel gyms just aren’t the same as normal ones 🙂

20. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

Bummer on the house, but at least you’ll be getting one that you really like. Waiting is not fun though!
    I’ve never thought to use watermelon in a salad, thanks for the idea!

Oh no! That stinks you have to be away from Sadie that long. 🙁 I don’t know what I would do without my poochers on my runs.

That salad looks really good. In the most recent Clean Eating Mag (I think…I have a subscription so I get confused) they have a recipe for a salad like that where you grill the watermelon and then make a balsamic reduction to go over. It looks delish!

I agree about the unhealthier feta tasting better. And I know how you feel about being separated from your dog! Gosh, 1.5 months is a long time… I would die!

I seriously need to try one of these watermelon and feta salads I keep hearing about. There is a very good chance that will happen this weekend.

Sorry about the move-in date change 🙁 At least everything else seems to be moving along, though!

24. Jessica Corbin says

I LOVE Feta cheese! I usually do spinach, cucumbers, maters, peppers, green onions, grilled chicken, and Trader Joe’s Goddess dressing for lunches! OH my! Costco is my best friend…seriously.

Sadie will NOT forget you! I am sorry though, I know how bad you guys want to move into your own house, but patience is a virtue…right?? O.o

25. Nicole says

That’s great news that you got the place! I bought my place a few summers ago and really appreciated closing on escrow at the end of August with move-in over Labor Day (that way, more people could come over and help move furniture!!)

I know Sadie will have to be away for a little while longer, but she will probably L-O-V-E a dip in that pool of yours!!

Congrats & enjoy!! (Sounds like you need some FroYo to celebrate!!)

26. Anne says

Feta is SOOOO expensive in Korea! It is $10 for two small packets or $5 for a jar of oil packed! I have only bought it once in a year and half- but I totally enjoyed it! I can’t imagine living out of a hotel room for so long, don’t you miss baking? I would! The food looks decent, there’s always PB&J! Hope you can see Sadie soon 🙂

Arugula is pretty much the best vegetable ever–healthy, a bit spicy, and totally delicious! I started eating it after I started watching the Barefoot Contessa and she made such delicious salads with it. Now, I wonder how I ever lived without it-I’d take it over regular lettuce any day of the week! I love getting it from our local farmer’s market.

28. Amanda says

Yumm! I just got back from dinner and that’s the exact salad I got! Except with radishes. Sooo good, I will definitely be making this combo at home

29. Annmarie says

Hey, you need to peel off those coupon stickies when you see them and use them! You could have gotten a another free feta when you bought that one! I LOVE coupon stickies!

30. amy says

I’m so glad u guys found a house congrats!!! Let me know when your ready for a day in Jacksonville and we can make a girls day. have you been to Towncenter?? Awesome restraunts and shops. How did u do your workout all lower body then the upper or did u mix it up? Have a great day!!

31. Laura says

I move August 15th! Lucky for me I am still living with all three of my dogs…we’re just moving across the city (and it’s a small city lol). I hate when you don’t get the date you want though…moving is such a hassle, it’s fun and exciting but super stressful too. Hope it goes well though!!