Hoisin and Sesame Seed Shrimp

Today was one of those days that was totally all over the place.

After breakfast, my mom, Ryan and I drove to Best Buy to scope out laptops for my mom. My family’s desk top computer totally crashed on Friday and since my dad and sister have their own laptops, we told my mom she should get her own laptop in lieu of another “family computer.”

Ryan helped her figure out which computer suited her best and we left with a good one! Our old family computer literally sounded like it was going to catch on fire at any moment, so we’re all happy for my mom’s new purchase. (I got a wireless mouse. Score!)

While at Best Buy, Ryan and I got suckered into some kind of boxing video game that could sense your movements.

IMG_5711

IMG_5713

It was a lot of fun and seriously addicting. I actually started to sweat when it was my turn.

Lunch

Lunch today was inspired by an (unpaid) freelance project I had to finish up today.

IMG_5723-1

Earlier this week I wrote an article for The Shrimp Council and wanted to create a recipe to go along with the article.

I got to work in the kitchen and ended up with a family-approved recipe for hoisin and sesame seed shrimp.

Hoisin and Sesame Seed Shrimp

Serves: Two (or four as a side)

Prep Time: 10 minutes (including the time it take to peel shrimp)

Cook Time: 6 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
  • 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. sesame seeds

Instructions:

1. Heat broiler
  2. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar
  4. Toss shrimp in sauce, coating the shrimp completely
  5. Remove shrimp from sauce and place on baking sheet
  6. Broil until shrimp turn pink, about three minutes on each side
  7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve

IMG_5725-1

I think this shrimp would be delicious served over whole wheat pasta or with a side of my favorite cucumber salad! We’ll definitely be making this one again.

A Wii Bit of Fun

After lunch, Ryan and I were still amped up by our Best Buy boxing game, so my mom busted out our family’s Wii and we played a few rounds of Wii bowling, tennis and baseball.

IMG_5727-1

I won the first bowling game with a score of 148. Definitely my best bowling score of all time! I wish real bowling was like Wii bowling!

Ryan won round two… and basically every match of Wii tennis that we played.

IMG_5728-1

Time to get pretty for a fun dinner out with the fam. Sushi is on the menu for tonight. Woop!

Comments

The shrimp looks delicious!! I was thinking about making shrimp tonight and am sad I don’t have all the ingredients for this!! It would be great to have that and some rice to welcome in the storm in NYC!!!

2. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says

Those shrimp look SO GOOD! Love Asian-flavors. Yum!

That game sounds like so much fun. I want to play :)

Haha I’m pretty sure the boxing game is with a system called Kinect. Will (my boyfriend)’s dad has it and he was trying to get me to do zumba on a while ago! Needless to say, I was a little uncomfortable in the whole situation haha :)

My fiance bought that game for X-box Kinect- It’s UFC! I wasn’t so good at it though, I prefer Dance Central – it’s a really great workout!! I love playing bowling on the Wii, although my Jack Russell Molly hates when we play it! She always barks at the wii-mote!

We love Wii bowling too! I, however, am not a fan of Wii tennis. I played tennis in high school, so I find myself moving from side to side in the room while playing on the Wii – and the video game does not do it justice! Sad… (especially when I got hammered by my 10 year old cousin that does not play tennis!)

Wii is genius. I am more into video games now that I am in my 20’s then when I was little (although I was a huge N64 fan…Mario Cart anyone?!). I used to be obsessed with WII fit. Those darn hula hoops always made me look bad!

7. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

So making that shrimp recipe!
    I sooo want that video game system. I’ve played it at the store and it’s so much fun. It can be a serious workout!

8. Lauren says

I had shrimp last night for dinner and it was delish…definitely hit the spot!

I saw in one of your posts that you were a KD at UCF..is that true? I went to UCF (for a year) and so did my cousin (More so around the time you were prob there) and I believe she was a KD! :)

9. Baking N Books says

i’ve had a bag of frozen shrimp sitting in my freezer for awhile now. Must get on that! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Did you volunteer to do the freelance article unpaid? That’s awesome though – your great for giving!

That sounds delicious! I’d love to make that sometime.

I really wish I could be a freelance writer like you. It sounds like such a neat job! I love writing and journalism, but I have no idea where to start. I know I need to start small, but it’s so tricky to get your foot in the door. Any suggestions?

11. Jennie says

Wow the shrimp lunch looks really professional! I thought you were going to say you went to a restaurant haha! I’ve totally not been stalking your recipes all morning btw 😉

12. Haleigh says

Men and their video games… hehe. They never grow up, their toys just become more expensive 😉 The shrimp salad looks delicious! I hope that you enjoy the rest of your weekend! xoxox

13. Heather says

You and the fam are so adorable! I just love how much fun you have together…really soaking up every moment. (:

Stay lovely,
    Heather

My first year working at summer camp, I can’t even begin to tell you how many kids complained at archery, saying, “I’m really good at this on the Wii! This must be broken since I can’t hit the target here.” 😉 Gotta love ’em.

Oh goodness, that XBox Kinect is the first (read: only) video game system I’ve ever actually looked at as a possible entertainment source long term. We whipped our friend’s out at a party not too long ago with the dancing game. Can’t believe some of the moves they have you do in that game!