National Whole Grains Month

Leftovers make lunch so darn easy.

I used the BBQ pulled chicken from last night’s dinner to make myself a whole wheat bagelwich, topped with the chicken, romaine lettuce, tomatoes and chopped red onions.

bbq chicken on a bagel 006

bbq chicken on a bagel 003

I swear the bagel is under there somewhere! Apparently the bagel was feeling camera shy… or it was just trumped by chicken and veggies.

Lunchtime sides included carrots and a white nectarine.

bbq chicken on a bagel 005

National Whole Grains Month

Did you know that September is National Whole Grains month?

Any month that celebrates food like almond butter granola and pumpkin banana oatmeal is a good month in my eyes!

almond butter granola

I am teaming up with Quaker Oats to spread the word about this delicious (and nutritious!) month and let you guys know about an awesome sweepstakes going on right now on the Whole Grains Council’s website called the Whole Grains Stampede.

Entering the sweepstakes is simple. You simply tell the Whole Grains Council about your favorite breakfast, lunch and dinner that bear the Whole Grains Stamp (you can see a list of the products here) and then you’re entered to win the following:

• One year supply of Quaker products and $5,000 of grocery money
  • Apple iPad 2 loaded with food apps

Sign me up!

A more detailed description of the sweepstakes may be found here and you may enter here.

I’m pretty sure you oatmeal and granola lovers will be all over this one. Smile

Disclaimer: I was one of three bloggers selected by Quaker Oats to promote the Whole Grain Stampede during the month of September. I have been compensated for my contributions to the campaign, though my opinions are my own and I only agreed to this partnership because I am a frequent consumer of Quaker products and feel that whole grains have an important place in a balanced diet.

Question of the Afternoon

• What is your favorite way to enjoy whole grains?

My favorite way to enjoy whole grains is in cookies. Throw a little whole wheat flour or oatmeal in there and there ya go!

Comments

• Danielle (Shrinking and Studying) says

PS. These sweepstakes are awesome! I’m so bummed you have to be a US resident to enter, otherwise I’d totally be taking advantage!

1. Danielle (Shrinking and Studying) says

I honestly just love a good slice of thick whole grain bread w/ butter or a whole grain tortilla loaded with veggies! I am such a carb fiend but I only really enjoy the whole grains since my parents never let us eat white bread, etc. when we were younger. 🙂

Honestly, I think my favorite way to get whole grains is in breads. I especially like the multigrain versions (bring on those seeds!) because of the crunch and texture they add to my morning toast. Throw on some peanut butter and a little jelly and I’m a happy, grain-fed girl!

My day is not complete without some form of granola. Either mixed in my organic yogurt with berries, straight up bowl of oatmeal or baked granola goodness (which THANK YOU- I woudn’t know how to make granola at home if it wasn’t for your awesome posts!)

Going to enter right now, thanks for sharing!

I eat oatmeal, obvi! But I also love love brown rice and quinoa (although, that might not count cause it’s technically not a grain, dang). I also love wheat berries! Mmm…

Whole Grains are my staple in the morning! I either do whole wheat toast w/peanut butter or usually…Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal Weight Watchers. They have delicious flavors! Then I add a tbs of peanut butter and some bananas. Sooooo filling!

6. Alison says

Yayy for whole grains! I just went to the Whole Grains Council website you posted and am SHOCKED that my beloved hot cereal is not in the whole grains list! I eat Hodgson Mill’s Multigrain Hot Cereal with Flaxseed and Soy every morning, which boasts Oats, Unprocessed Wheat Bran, Milled Flaxseed, Soy Grits, Untoasted Wheat Germ, and Cracked Whole Wheat. I don’t understand why this doesn’t get the whole grain seal of approval…?? Oh well, it won’t stop me from eating my favorite breakfast (with some flaxseed, whey protein powder, blueberries, and almond milk thrown in!). 🙂

7. Kristin @ STUFT Mama says

That chicken does look delicious! 🙂 Oh man, I ate some oats to everything- muffins, pancakes, yogurt, etc. Love the texture. 🙂 Yay for Quaker Oats! 🙂

8. Liz says

Hmmm…my favorites used to be cereal or whole grain toast with PB, but I’ve developed a gluten sensitivity. Now, my favorite is oatmeal!

It’s national whole grains month?! I knew I loved September. Hmm favorite way to enjoy them… probably whole wheat couscous with nutritional yeast and peas. It’s like macaroni and cheese!

Oh wow. That makes me sound like a total loser.

Um. Whole grain pizza?

10. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

I’ll eat whole grains in any form: Cookies, oatmeal, breads, soups, as a side. I love how versatile they are!

11. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

Mmmm…I adore white nectarines…they are soooo delicious! <3 Such a delicate, sweet taste – and actually really pretty too!
    My favourite way to enjoy wholegrains is in porridge/oatmeal, and in food for life ezekiel muffins. My two favourite things! 😀 xyx

I take ’em any way I can get ’em. It’s so weird: now that I eat whole grains far more than white bread, I enjoy the taste WAY more. Cookies, oatmeal, whole wheat bread—it’s all good to me!

I wonder if its one year supply of Quaker products for a casual oatmeal eater… or an oatmeal-aholic? I think my favorite way to get whole grains is in breads and pasta. And baked goods. I like white whole wheat flour because it doesn’t make the baked goods quite so dense.

I am soooo jealous of your recent pumpkin consumption! I still can’t find it anywhere yet!! 🙁 But I’ve been baking sweet potatoes and butternut squash for my oatmeal instead. It’s working out pretty nicely, but I need my pumpkin back.

My husband eats his oats every morning. I used to join in with him, but since I’m traveling down the Raw Food path, I have given up my love of oat meal. (I am diabetic so for me, being almost Raw is the way my body wants to be.) I see your carrots and love how they are big and natural looking. I love “nature”-al looking fruits and veggies…am I wierd? LOL

16. Danielle says

Like I needed another reason to eat my oats in the morning!! Although, Costco sells this sprouted honey wheat bread that just takes my almond butter and banana on toast to a whole new level. It’s so good that I crave it some days! haha

17. Lorin says

I”m sooo happy it’s national whole grains month. I get that some people have to go gluten free but I’m getting sick of seeing Gluten Free! signs everywhere, when of course it’s something that is naturally gluten free, like canned pumpkin. I’m not trying to disrespect gluten free people who actually need to do it, but I feel as if right now it is a trend that is happening. I like my grains and I love cinnamon raisin toast or pancakes or just a piece of bread or oats.

Definitely cookies! I love cookies with whole wheat flour (except maybe sugar cookies). I also much prefer whole wheat pasta and pizza dough in most situations.

I was just having difficulty deciding what to have for breakfast, but I think it definitely has to be oats now!

This “Nat’l Whole Grains Month” dealio excites me to no end. 5 years ago? This would’ve NEVER been on people’s radar! They would’ve though anything with the word “wheat” meant whole. Thank goodness for proactivity and the spread of knowledge!

20. Katherina @ Zephyr Runs says

Quinoa is my favorite whole grain, though I love oats every once in a while 😀 Definitely entered the sweepstakes, thanks for the heads up!!