Treadmill Workouts

When lunchtime rolled around today, I was shocked to see that somehow there was still one BBQ chicken burger leftover in the fridge from dinner last week.

I crumbled the burger, added light Miracle Whip, stone ground mustard and relish to the mix to make BBQ chicken salad before placing it on a toasted hot dog bun and digging in.

pumpkin butter pancakes 020

On the side I had a cup of Greek yogurt sweetened with honey and an unphotographed apple.

pumpkin butter pancakes 017

Right after I finished my lunch, I thought I should’ve used the remaining chicken to make myself a BBQ chicken pizza instead of a simple sub. Next time!

Now for some treadmill talk!

Treadmill Workouts

Late last week, I went through my mini gym bag and threw away the scraps of paper with random workouts on them that I never do anymore and saved the workouts that I know I love and that challenge me.

Since many of the pieces of paper are tattered and torn, I though it might be a good idea to print out new versions of the workouts and I figured you guys might enjoy having a bunch of treadmill workouts located in one place on the blog.

I’ll be sure to link to this post from my Workouts page for future reference.

The workouts below are organized from the shortest workout to the longest workout.

20 – 25 Minute Treadmill Workouts

• 20 Minute Interval Blast

interval workout 2

• 25 Minute Incline Treadmill Workout

30 Minute Treadmill Workouts

• 30 Minutes of 20 Seconds On, 40 Seconds Off

interval workout 1

• 30 Minute Crazy Incline Workout

• 30 Minute Super Sprints Workout

40 Minute Workouts

• 40 Minute Gradual Speed Increase Workout

workout

Question of the Afternoon

• What is your favorite kind of workout to do on the treadmill? Intervals? Long runs? Incline walking?

My favorite treadmill workouts include both intervals and incline walking. Tough stuff!

Comments

I used Galloway’s walk/run method for my long run this morning on the treadmill and I LOVED it…definitely makes long runs doable on the treadmill (without losing my brains)…and believe it or not, the walk breaks actually improved my overall pace- woo!

2. Katie @ Raisins&Apples says

I love intervals, but sometimes it’s too much of a hassel on the treadmill! If I get on the treadmill, it’s usually for incline walking.

For some reason I always get soooo dizzy on the treadmill so I am only able to do treadmill walking. Seriously the treadmill makes my world spin…it’s weird!

I always do incline walking! I hate running and no incline walking just doesn’t do enough workout for me – so I always walk at an incline of 13-15% at 4 mph for about 20 minutes, then down to 3.5 mph and up to 15% for sure for the last ten mins or so, to cool down.

I find it is an amazing workout – and I swear it makes my butt look awesome!

5. Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle says

I always love new treadmill workouts! I definitely like intervals the best. I get bored just running the same pace for a long time on them, since I never run same pace when outside.

I’ll have to tuck these into my back pocket. 🙂
    Thanks!

My favorite is incline walking! I used to love logging many running miles on their, but I’ve recently broken up with running 😉 due to some lingering injuries, etc., so now all I’ve been doing is walking.. in fact, I think I’m going to hop on the t-mill when I hit the gym later today!

7. Ann says

So I’ve always wondered…do you program these workouts into your treadmill at the beginning, or do you manually change the speed and incline each time you need to? I find it really difficult and frustrating changing the settings while I’m struggling to keep a pace!

I’m so glad you posted this! I just got a treadmill last week, so I’m looking forward to using all of these workouts! Thanks for sharing. 🙂 I prefer treadmill workouts that have a combo of interval walking and running. It doesn’t let me get bored and challenges me without being too crazy!

Thanks for compiling these workouts!! I love your treadmill workouts…they are always awesome. I definitely like doing intervals and incline walking on the treadmill- if you ever are looking for some new ideas, I have some posted on my workout page!

Yay! I do my runs on the treadmill most mornings before its bright enough to go outside. I am EXCITED to try these! I was just thinking how routine my workouts have gotten and I don’t seem to be pushing myself anymore.

Thanks soooo much for sharing this!

Hannah

I no longer belong to a gym, but I used to run almost exclusively on the treadmill! Seems strange to me since I only run outside now. I used to love doing intervals on the treadmill. I’m kind of ADD, so constantly switching up my speed or incline made the time go by a bit faster for me!

12. Tracy @ Tracy's Treats says

I prefer running outside, but if I do hit the treadmill, I like doing pyramid runs where I slowly increase the speed/incline for the first half, followed by a decrease in speed/incline for the last half of the run. It keeps me on my toes and the runs go by faster!

Thanks for these – they will come in handy pretty soon here now that colder weather is on it’s way. I am not a big fan of running on treadmills, so I do intervals so I can do the workout quickly and get it over with 😉

I love intervals, but I can’t seem to work out on the treadmill 🙁 Every time I run on the treadmill I get really bad shin splints. I can run on the sidewalk outside without any trouble, but treadmills spell doom for my legs. When the weather is nasty (or even when it’s nice, sometimes I just feel like staying in one place!) I do intervals on the elliptical because it doesn’t give me shin splints.

Anyone ever get shin splints from the treadmill that they don’t get on sidewalks? How did you overcome it?

I love doing intervals, I find its the only way to keep me entertained while on the treadmill. I prefer to run outdoors if the weather permits it.

Do you have any elliptical workouts you can post? I have an elliptical at home that I often turn to for a quick workout and would love some new challenging workouts.

16. Emily says

have you ever tried lunges on the treadmill? set the incline at 10, pace at 1.0 and lunge for 2 min and 30 sec straight. oh it burnssss

17. Katie says

I did the exact same thing this morning! I felt like I needed a challenge today. Went through my bag & found at the bottom your 30 Minute Crazy Incline Workout…Now I know why it’s at the bottom 😉 Felt so good!

18. Rebecca says

Wanted to let you know I finally made your two-ingredient pumpkin spice cookies for our Canadian Thanksgiving last night and they were a HUGE hit!

There wasn’t a single cookie left, and they were picked over before my mom’s pumpkin pie, which never happens!

Two-ingredient cookies is my kinda baking!!

19. dee says

I use the treadmill for regular runs. I would LOVE to do the treadmill workouts you have posted, but I’m a little scaredy cat when it comes to doing all those inclines and pace changes! I’m afraid to trip, fall on my face, then fly off the treadmill..I did find one I liked in a magazine, but it requires sideways steps! If I’m afraid of inclines and pace changes, how will I ever get around to going SIDEWAYS?!

20. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

I love treadmill workouts and wish i had one at home so I could them more often. I love inclines because you can really feel that you’re getting a workout. They’re no joke!

21. Stephanie says

The treadmill and I have a love/hate relationship. There are days when I can’t even give a second thought to getting on it because I know it’s going to kick my butt hardcore. Other days I look at it and say “I will conquer you!”. On my “gladiator” attitude days, I generally run at a jogging pace (4.5-5.5) for around 30 minutes or until my calves are threatening to pull away from the bone…whichever comes first 🙂 I’m still a bit of a running novice, but I LOVE the feeling after a good run!

22. Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous says

Anything with Greek Yogurt is absolutely amazing. Greek Yogurt is my love/obsession/mix with anything and everything food!! I wish I could exercise for long periods of time on the tredmill. But whenever I step on, I down to the milliseconds until I can get off!!

I adore your treadmill interval workouts and I use them all the time. I used to dread just getting on the treadmill and walking (or running), the time would just drag on. I have even created some of my own intervals and they make the time go by so fast. I love them and I have you to thank for introducing me to the interval workout -THANK YOU JULIE, you are a star 🙂

24. Carrie says

Thanks! I have been training for a 1/2 marathon, Oct. 29, once it is over I’m looking forward to more autonomy in what kind of workouts I do. These will be perfect.

I love treadmill work outs. I usually download some podcasts to do them. These podcasts work great for me since it’s like having a coach in your ear to tell you when to speed up/incline up. Do you run indoors with a running foot pod? I am looking to buy one and wanted to know your thoughts 🙂

A little trick for your other readers… after I discovered how great your workouts are, I printed them, stapled/glued them to index-sized (4×5 or 5×7) cardstock, then hole punched and placed them on a circle ring (one of those that clips). That way all my workouts were in one easy place, easy to take around with me, and I could keep adding to the ring!

Hi Julie!

I just wanted to let you know that i LOVE your treadmill workouts. I did the 30 minutes crazy inncline workout last night, holy hell that was death. Good death, but death to my legs. I love Amanda’s idea for printing out the workouts and putting them on index cards. I think that is so smart!

28. Melissa says

I love to run and generally do long distance runs outside because I loathe running on a treadmill. But I am definitely going to have to try out some incline walking since you claim it’s so intense.

29. Skylar says

I love your posts on the treadmill workouts. I’m currently dealing with some hamstring/glut injuries along with bursitis 🙁 which is preventing me from my usual running routines. BUT your treadmill recommendations have been a great way for me to stay fit and keep my cardio strong! I mostly do the incline walks right now. Hope to get back to running/sprints once I’m healed. But you have helped keep me going! So, THANK YOU so much! Keep up the ideas and sharing them!

30. Annie says

Hi there 🙂

I’m sort of new at cardio/treadmill training and I was wondering what incline working *does to your body*. I mean, obviously you’re working your bum but is it also good for loosing a little weight or just good for muscles?

• says

hi annie! i’m not a fitness professional, but i LOVE incline walking for the same reasons i love running… it gets your heart rate up! also, it works different muscles than walking or running on a flat surface, increasing booty and leg strength. great for calorie burn, too.

31. Annie says

thanks 🙂

maybe I’ll try that next time, it’s good to change your workouts as otherwise I find I get bored! I’ve been stealing your playlists too 😀

Thanks so much for posting these great workouts. I love my treadmill, but it can be tough to find ways of mixing it up to make it more interesting and effective. Can’t wait to try these!