Pumpkin Butter Granola

Last night as Ryan and I watched The Sing Off, I did a little baking, which turned into lots of snacking. Fortunately I had a bit of the end result leftover to enjoy for breakfast today.

pumpkin spice granola 011

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until oats are no longer dry
  3. Spread out granola on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray
  4. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through
  5. Allow to cool until granola is crunchy

pumpkin spice granola 018

This morning I enjoyed the granola with a cup of strawberry banana Greek yogurt.

pumpkin spice granola 016

pumpkin spice granola 022

Homemade granola is so easy and definitely cheaper than store-bought granola. I’m quite a fan!

(Past granola recipes may be found on my Granola Recipe Roundup page.)

Workout

Let’s fly through today’s workout recap! It was an upper body day in the gym and I completed three sets of 15 repetitions of the following exercises:

• Superset One: Bicep curls + Ryan’s awesome shoulder move
  • Superset Two: Tricep pull downs + Upright rows
  • Superset Three: Low pulls + Chest press
  • Superset Four: Tricep extensions + Mac raises
  • Superset Five: Incline bicep curls + Push ups

I love supersets! They keep my heart pumpin’ and my workout moving fast.

Te Quiero, Amarillo

On our way home from the gym today, the song Bailamos by Enrique Inglesias came on the radio.

Ryan and I were being tools in the car and singing the song in our sexy Enrique voices (we have a gift) when the chorus came on. While I opted not to sing some of the Spanish words that I couldn’t understand, Ryan plunged in and went for the gold.

Only he came up without a medal.

Actual words:

Bailamos! Let the rhythm take you over…
Bailamos!
Te quiero, amor mio

Ryan’s version:

Bailamos! Let the rhythm take you over…
Bailamos!
Te quiero, amarillo

Enrique was saying, “I want you, my love.” I took a bit of Spanish in my day and knew that Ryan’s wonderfully romantic version said, “I want you, yellow.”

Apparently someone has a strong affinity for the sunshiny color.

love yellow

Not that I blame him

The best lyrics mix up I’ve ever heard came from my sister. One Christmas we were singing this Christmas classic:

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,
Jack Frost nipping on your nose,
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir,
And folks dressed up like Eskimos.

Leslie’s version went like this:

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,
Jack Frost nipping on your nose,
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir,
And folks dressed up like Kokonos.

Um, what?

When I asked her what, exactly, Kokonos were she said, “I don’t know. I never really thought about it.”

You better believe my family now always sings “Folks dressed up like Kokonos” whenever we hear that song around Christmastime.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Blue by Eiffel 65

The chorus is “I’m blue da ba dee dabba da-ee”

I didn’t know this.

I always sang it and still sing it as…

“I’m blue if I was green I would die”

Listen to it and tell me that isn’t what they are saying! :)

2. Aneida says

My husband didn’t know the lyrics to How To Save A Life. He would sing, “How to say good night”. And now I always hear it that way! Ha!

3. Mary says

I used to unknowingly change up the words to Mariah Carey’s song Fantasy. I replaced “I’m so into you…” with “I’m so itchy blue…”

4. Becky says

My daughter always sang instead of “don’t go chasing waterfalls”, Go, Go Jason Waterfalls.
    So of course , that’s how we all sing it now.

5. Shelley says

I dated a guy in college who thought the words to Mystikal’s “Shake it Fast” were: “take a bath, wash yourself” instead of “shake it fast, watch yourself.” Ha!

The granola recipe looks absolutely delicious! I love pumpkin anything…I have a Yankee Candle that is Pumpkin Spice and it is awesome. My favorite to burn this time of year.

As for messing up lyrics…my parents listened to “oldies” growing up and the song “Secret Agent Man” would play often in our house and in the car. I was around 13 and singing along, loudly, and singing “Secret ASIAN Man!” My dad was like “HUH??!” Oops! :-)

7. jaci says

this wasn’t too much of an accident, but after the Presidential election my boyfriend was listening to Simon and Garfunkle – I Am A Rock where it goes “I am a rock. I am an island.” and I immediately sang “I am Barack. I am Joe Biden” along with it. I thought it was hilarious and laughed hysterically for way to long.

I always thought the main (and title line) of the country song “God Bless Texas” was “God Bless Chickens”…this resulted in an incredibly funny and embarrassing moment in a van full of people when I confidently belted out the song lol

9. Jessica says

Ok I have to share mine.
    Kelly Clarkson “Trouble With Love”

Real Lyrics: But like a drug that makes you blind
    My Lyrics: But like a TRUMPET makes you blind.

yup.

I love the dressed up like Kokonos!

When I was in high school the brother of a friend of mine was singing Brick House and we head him sing, “She’s a brick. Owww.” Now, that’s how I sing that song every time. I mean, it sort of makes sense…

11. mkr says

The Outkast song ‘Ms. Jackson’ has a lyric in the chorus that goes “Never meant to make your daughter cry, I apologize a trillion times”…I always thought it was “I apologize a tributize” – doubly good because I made up a word ;)

LMAO at the Kokomos! And the “I never really thought about it.” :-)

When my younger brother was young, he was convinced that these lyrics to Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” were something entirely different:

“We come from the land of the ice and snow
    from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.”

His version:

“We come from the land of the ice and snow
    where you don’t eat snow where the huskies go.”

I was like “huh?” He was 11, convinced he was right, and very rational about it. He merely said, “Well, EVERYBODY knows you don’t eat the yellow snow! Duh!”

13. Elisabeth says

I used to always sing ‘take a load off, Granny’ instead of ‘take a load off, Fannie’ to the song ‘The Weight’ by The Band :D However, I discovered a commonly misheard lyrics website & fixed that!

Forgive me if someone already asked this- but can you find pumpkin butter pretty easily? I’ve only ever seen it once, and it was in a health food store in Victoria, BC! (Of course I bought it!) I’ve never seen it anywhere. Or maybe you make it at home?

Oh my goodness. I am laughing so hard I’m crying. I sing the wrong lyrics ALL. THE. TIME. My husband is always calling me out. I wish I could think of one. That Aerosmith argument about “Dude looks like a lady” or “Do the lucky lady” HILARIOUS!!

Okay, these comments made my night. The “Shamu is a serious whale” and “here we are now, in containers” totally cracked me up. When I was a kid, I was POSITIVE that Prince’s(?) “I would die for you” said “apple dapple you.” Next time you hear it, you won’t be able to UNhear “apple dapple”.

17. Katie M. says

For the song, “It’s like my iPod’s stuck on replay”…my 6 year sings, “It’s like my eyball’s stuck on a plate”!

18. Danielle says

I love that song! And I won’t even tell you what I used to think the lyrics were to La Bamba. I am older and more familiar with Spanish so I think I got it now. No more embarrassing sing-a-longs.

STOP IT…..that pumpkin granola looks to die for. I’m OBSESSED with granola and especially ANYTHING Pumpkin.

I’m trying this recipe ASAP! :)

Oh, and you know….
    “Aruba….Jamiaca….ohhh I wanna take ya……
    …..there’s a place called KOKONOS.”

No? Oh, okay. ;)

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my
    newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.