The Last Long Run

The last long run of my half marathon training plan is DONE!

12 mile run 006

Well, technically I have one more long run on the books next week (8 miles?), but today’s long run was the longest of all the long runs, so I’m just going to pretend it’s the very last one!

It’s crazy to me that I ran 12 miles this morning. I know this is weird, but whenever I see or hear about other people running long distances, I am in awe. I don’t really consider myself a runner and it almost feels like every time I bust out a long run, it is some kind of a fluke. Odd.

Anyway, today’s run was pretty awesome as far as long runs go. It was nice and chilly when Ryan and I set out around 8 a.m. I even wore a lightweight hoodie!

Ryan wasn’t sure whether or not he’d be running the full 12 miles with me this morning because his ankle was feeling funny all week after last Saturday’s 11 mile run. I told him to stop at the first sign of pain because it’s not worth it for him to run 12 miles on a training run, only to injure himself so that he cannot actually complete the half marathon in two weeks!

After running about six miles, Ryan headed home. His ankle started to feel funky and so we said our goodbyes and Sadie and I went on to run the full 12 miles on our plan.

I ate Gu Chomps at miles 4.5, 7 and 9. I cramped up a bit after eating the Chomps at mile 7, but I breathed my way through and the cramping didn’t last long.

All I wanted when I got home from running was something salty!

What better way to satisfy a salty craving than a bowl of chicken noodle soup?

12 mile run 002

I only wish it was a bowl of my mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup! (<— A serious winner if you’re looking for an easy and delicious homemade soup recipe.)

I know soup is kind of an odd breakfast choice, but I ate it alongside an egg sandwich which is a little more normal.

12 mile run 007

Salty craving satisfied!

Time to blow dry my hair and pack for a weekend with the fam in St. Pete.

Hope you’re having a great Saturday!

Comments

I just started training for my first half and even though I’m still at the beginning, I still feel the same way after every long run! It’s funny how you talk about being in awe of others’ long runs because I have felt the same way reading your posts! Congrats on 12 miles–13.1 will be a breeze after that! :)

• says

ahhh I would LOVE to try insanity! :) From what the clips show, it seems like it’s the type of workout I love most. But, the little nuisance called the price tag stops me from getting it haha. Eh, anyway, creating my own workouts keeps my creativity running :P

And Julie, 12 miles is awesome! I don’t exactly consider myself a “runner”, though I run like you do. I guess it’s more of an addition to other stuff?

Great job on your run! I did 10 miles yesterday, and I had a few clif blocks at mile 6. Oh my gosh, my stomach hurt the entire rest of the run. I don’t know if it was a fluke or if it was because of the blocks, but I was not having it!

Congrats on the long run! I feel the same way about running: so amazed when people tell me their distances and just in disbelief when I run the same or even more.
    I can vouch for the soup…I used your mom’s recipe, and it was a hit. Thanks for sharing!

4. Kristen says

I am exactly the same way when it comes to those long runs…I can’t really believe it when I’m finished, because I too don’t really consider myself a runner even though I’ll soon be training for my 3rd half marathon. I just remember when running 3 miles seemed like an unheard of distance;)
    I’ve also noticed that after my long runs (and especially after race day) I always crave something more savory…probably b/c you lose so much sodium when you sweat through 10+ miles!

5. Dawn says

First, GREAT JOB on your long run. Such a huge accomplishment to do any distance like that. You are inspiring me to get on my running shoes and get myself built back up to a half marathon.

Second, this is just my personal opinion, from my experience if Ryan isn’t doing so already I recommend he ice his ankle 2-3 times a day or he can put it in ice water for 15- 20 minute (no longer than 20) 2-3 times a day. Ice can work wonders.

Congrats on finishing that run, Julie! What an amazing accomplishment!

I feel the same way about running! I always gawk at runners when I drive by them in my car…and when I finish a long distancer, I’m like “Crap! Look what I just did!”

7. meg says

Congrats on a great run! I was just wondering what you do about water when you run long distances. I feel like I am stuck on the treadmill because I drink so much when I run. This morning I ran about 14 miles and drank a 20 oz jug of water plus a bottle of coconut water. I really want to run outside but I can’t carry all that! Just wondering what you do and if you have any tips. Thanks!

8. Nicole says

I can’t believe I’ll be in Savannah just days before you!! Right when I get back to Palm Beach you will probably be on the way there! haha!

9. Jen says

I love that you ate soup for breakfast! I’ve had pizza for breakfast and Mac & Cheese on occasion :)

Is that canned soup? I find chicken noodle canned soup only has a few pieces of chicken – so annoying!

I can relate to the surreal feeling of long runs; I just ran my first half marathon in September and it was a really interesting process. It was amazing to me that my once scary 10mile run went from being an “epic” distance (to me) to “just” a taper run.

11. Ellie says

I love soup for breakfast, especially chicken noodle soup! I would probably eat it every day for breakfast if it were convenient. Eating soup for breakfast is more common in Asian countries, for example Japan!

12. Merri says

Hi little lady!! Congrats on the end of your LR’s, it’s a damn good feeling!! And 9:14 pace, you’re killin it out there!!!

To help cope with cramping:
    1) eat a banana and drink a cup of coconut water everyday until race day. This will build up your potassium bank and keep you hydrated so you dont cramp. In the event you do cramp during a race, u did the right thing, taking long, hard breaths is the best way to relieve a cramp.
    2) Take your GU before you need it. It’s hard to build yourself up once you’ve completely depleted yourself. I suggest taking at mile 6 and mile 12….more then that and you may be causing the cramps or give yourself a stomach ache.

Also, a new FAVORITE pre-LR breakfast that one of my coaches eats EVERY morning (he’s an ex-olympian and has been running for 40+ years…yeah, he’s legit!).
    1) 3/4 cup of dry oatmeal
    2) 2 tbs pf flax seed
    3) 1/2 cup of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries (I buy the fresh pre-mixed container but it doesn’t have strawberries).
    4) Whole banana, sliced
    5) Vanilla Almond Milk
    * Add all ingredients to a bowl, add the vanilla almond milk as you would a bowl of cereal and eat the mixture cold.

It’s delicious and a winner!! Kept me full and did not lead to any digestion problems during the run!

xoxo
    Mer

Do you stop for water breaks for Sadie? I’m starting to increase the mileage I run with my dog and I’m not really sure at what point I should be stopping with him.