Camping: Love It or Loathe It?

Man oh man those TRX straps own me! They’re seriously legit and get my arms shaking as I try to stabilize myself. I have a feeling sore triceps are in my future after today’s upper body workout.

I began my time at the gym with a two-mile run before completing the following exercises:

arm workout

And just like that, it was time for breakfast!

On the menu for today was strawberry banana overnight oats that I made by combining the following in a Tupperware container last night:

• 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 6 ounces strawberry banana Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 banana, sliced

overnight oats 002

This morning, I added a few fresh banana slices on top before digging in.

Nice and thick!

Camping: Love It or Loathe It?

This weekend as my family and I sat around the campfire making s’mores on Saturday night, we started talking about our old camping adventures. (Shout out to those of you who noticed Ryan drunkenly paying homage to the song “I Wear My Sunglasses at Night” around the fire.)

Ryan joked with my parents saying that I describe my family’s camping adventures as the holy grail of camping. Seriously though, my family and I had a blast camping when I was growing up and I have wonderful memories associated with our camping trips.

I told Ryan that we were “gourmet” campers. We slept in tents and everything, but when it came to food, we made seriously delicious meals over the campfire, like beef stew or trout caught fresh from a nearby stream.

Just check out the tent my parents set up:

awesome tent

Totally kidding. Smile

Our tent looked more like this:

bear tent

Only minus the bear.

Since I wasn’t an early riser until after college, as a child my sister and I would sleep in on camping trips and wake up to the smell of bacon and eggs cooking on the campfire. It was fantastic!

I haven’t gone camping with my family in years, though I have pitched a tent with friends. (<—I really need to bust out my awesome hat from those pictures again!)

Camping adventures with friends include lots of beer (Natty Light, baby), granola bars for breakfast and hot dogs on a stick for dinner. Not quite the same thing as family camping, but fun in a different way!

My family and I are hoping to plan a fun camping trip next month if the timing works out with everyone’s schedule. I’m already excited about it!

Question of the Morning

• Camping: Love it or loathe it?
  • What is your favorite thing to do on a camping trip?

My answers:

Love it (obviously) and my favorite thing to do while camping is hike, make s’mores and play random games around the campfire like Would You Rather? and Catch Phrase.

Comments

being from hawaii, camping usually means it’s on the beach. in tents. sand EVERYWHERE! i loathe it! but i see pics from my friends camping and hiking trips in washington, and i am envious.

i do love campfires and smores though :)

Would you believe that I’ve never been camping? Ever? I’ve been to summer camp, but I’ve never done the whole “sleep in a tent outside in the woods” thing in my life!

3. Danielle says

LOATHE It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went a lot as a kid and wish to never go again. My husband’s family loves it. RV or not I am still not camping! They got me to go twice, NEVER again. I told them if they want to me to ever go again they better find me a nice hotel nearby and I will visit them during the day.

I hate tents, I hate sleeping bags, I hate air mattresses, I hate the lack of heat or AC in a tent, I hate bathrooms/showers at campgrounds, etc. You get the point I hate the majority of it.

I do love the scenery, I love hiking, and I love the s’mores.

4. Kanoe says

I absolutely LOVE camping! I haven’t done it in years and I miss it so much. We did family camping trips and then I also went on camping trips with other friends families every summer as a kid and it was fun. My favorite thing to do on a camping trip was swimming at the lake(b/c we camped at the lake :-) ) and cooking hot dogs & hamburgers on the fire. Outdoor grilled food is so much more AWESOME then anything else. I don’t do it much now though b/c I live in the DC Metro area so let’s just say camping is not as easily accessible LOL. I’m from Oklahoma where we have tons of camping spots & lakes so I miss that :-(

LOVE camping…but only until recently. My only experiences as a child were two horrible overnights with my Girl Scout troop. I swore off camping after that.

My husband, however, loves to camp. He also hunts and fishes. I told him I would give it a try – for him – and I was hooked. It’s a much different experience as an adult, having control over the whole camping process and going with someone I actually like :)

My blog is actually centered around my journey from a strictly indoors girl to a more high-maintenance outdoors-woman. I’ve come a long way…

LOVE IT!

I didn’t camp growing up but the family did a lot of “float trips” (BIG thing in Missouri.)

These days my friends have many annual camping trips including:

*April float/camp (there is nobody floating/camping in April, we have 60-80 people at this one and it’s a riot.)

*October Skeet shoot campout (sometimes with real tepees)

*Garden of the Gods in S. Illinois

*Winter Campoot in January on a friend’s family farm complete with fireworks and hoo-ha (Captain and apple cider) It’s usually super-cold, this past year it got down to 11 degrees.

We don’t tend to camp a lot in the summer in STL because it gets so.unbearably.hot.

7. Nicole says

I’ve only been camping once when I was young and it was not a very fun experience lol! All I really remember about it is sitting squished in the tent while it pours and making sure nothing was getting wet. But the way you describe it makes it sound like a blast!