One Year Wedding Anniversary Gift

Since today is our one-year wedding anniversary, that means Ryan opened the gift I made for him this year, so I can now share it with you guys!

After we got married, I learned that many couples follow a certain theme when it comes to anniversary gifts, with the first year anniversary gift being a paper gift.

I stuck with the theme and gave Ryan framed images of maps of the places where we met, got engaged and got married and embroidered a special symbol on each map.

healthy hamburgers 010

This project wasn’t incredibly crafty, so if you’re otherwise intimidated by crafty projects, this is a great one to tackle. The hardest part was the embroidery which I just sort of figured out how to do as I went along, but that doesn’t have to look perfect to still be cute!

I got the idea for this gift from this image that I saw on Pinterest:

met married live

(Source)

I didn’t want to do “we met, we married, we live” since Ryan and I are renting our current home and aren’t exactly sure where we’ll be setting up camp for the long haul, so I added “engaged” and took out “live.”

healthy hamburgers 006

I also used three-dimensional metal stickers for the words rather than words printed on stickers.

I got the idea to embroider symbols on the maps from DIY Theory.

healthy hamburgers 001

I used red thread to embroider a heart, diamond ring and two intertwined wedding bands.

Met: University of Central Florida

healthy hamburgers 004

Engaged: Baldwin Park/Winter Park, Florida

healthy hamburgers 003

Married: St. Petersburg, Florida

healthy hamburgers 002

healthy hamburgers 011

Since I am writing this post on Friday and setting it to publish on our anniversary on Sunday, I can’t tell you whether or not it was a hit with Ryan just yet, but I really hope he likes it!

healthy hamburgers 010

Comments

1. Lori Kay says

This is so great!! I have seen this picture all over Pinterest and I’m bound and determined to make one for our home, too. We are newly weds of only 6 months, but gift ideas are always on my mind! Can’t wait to see his “paper gift” to you 🙂

2. Megan says

Such a cute idea!!! Although, making it for my husband wouldn’t be real interesting – we met, got engaged, married and live in the same city. Yup – we’re pretty boring like that 😉

Pinterest really is amazing – and a time consumer 🙂

3. Heather says

So cute! My husband and I moved into our first house a year and a half ago. For our 1st Anniversary, he went to one of the street artists in NYC with a photo of our house and asked him to create a drawing of our house. It was such a sweet and unique gift! It’s now hanging in our dining room.

4. Mary says

Happy Anniversary!!! I can’t believe it is a year already. I started following your blog just as you were getting married. So neat to follow along on your adventures.

I LOOOOOOVE THIS!!!! I wish I had done it for my 1st anniversary in august. I stuck with the paper theme too, and typed out our vows in the shape of a heart! My husband wasn’t so crafy..he gave me a PAPER gift certificate for a massage. 🙂 What was Ryan’s gift to you?

Really great idea and very thoughtful too.

I have an idea of what I want to give my husband for our 1st year anniversary but if that doesnt’ work out, I might use this idea or just make it, just because.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and your Pinterest finds Julie.

Happy anniversary! 🙂 What a thoughtful gift! Did Ryan get you something? I need ideas – we are getting ready to celebrate 4 years of marriage! The traditional gifts are linen, silk, and appliances… Hmm… ?

8. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says

That’s a fantastic idea!! LOVE IT! And might do it.

Happy anniversary!!! 😀

What a great idea! Happy anniversary and let your 2nd year be even more blessed!

PS got any “leather” ideas for the coming up 3rd anniversary? I’m stumped besides something lame like a belt…

hahahahaha, I just told my husband about your gift because I thought it was so sweet and his reply (j/k of course) was: “Paper? Money is paper. I’d just give you 20 bucks and tell you to go buy something nice.” He then told I should comment on your post saying that to give Ryan ideas.

I was totally inspired by this post 🙂 My 5 year anniversary is coming up and I found out that we’re suppossed to do wooden gifts for the 5th anniversary. I’m going to try to think of something awesomely wooden to give my hubby.

• Evelyne says

Our 5 year anniversary is coming up, and just like you I’m looking for a fun wood theme gift to give my hubby. Which I just might do THIS!! After all, the maps are paper, but the FRAME is wood (or at least you can make it a wooden one)

12. Beth says

ah! we have the same anniversary and i made one of these, too, but with 4 squares instead! love the embroidery idea – so cute. happy anniversary!

13. Mel says

Hi! 🙂
    I loved this idea for a first anniversary frame! Where did you get the lovely 3d stickers from? and do you by any chance remember the name of the brand? Thanks! <3 your blog! 🙂

14. Evelyne says

I love this! where did you find those letters? I’ve been googling them for over an hour and can’t find anything even remotely like them

you are actually a excellent webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing.
    It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a wonderful task in this subject!

Julie, what an amazing first anniversary gift idea! I would love to share MyDayRegistry.com with your readers since they’re interested in the sentimental type gifts 🙂

MyDayRegisty.com allows you to dedicate a special day (Anniversary) to your love and is a super sentimental first anniversary gift that blends the traditional (paper) with the modern (clock). You can visit us at http://mydayregistry.com/paper-anniversary-gifts/ 🙂

17. Jenna says

Where did you purchase the map?! I am going to make this for my hubs this V-day! He likes to buy art from each place we have lived (military spouse here) so I thought this was super fitting.

18. Krystle S says

I absolutely love this idea, and I’m going to make this for my wife for our anniversary next month. This may be a silly question, but where is a good place to find maps? Sometimes grocery stores have them when you walk in, in the real estate pamphlets section. If they don’t have them there, where’s a good place to look?