Another Half?

As Ryan and I drove to the gym this morning, I had no idea what I wanted to do once we arrived.

I’m in this weird limbo stage in my workouts right now. I have a lingering desire to sign up for the Women’s Half Marathon in St. Pete on November 20, which means I should continue running this week.

women's half marathon

I haven’t committed to the race just yet, but it’s definitely in the back of my mind. I figured I would give myself this week to do whatever I want workout-wise, and if I decide to run the race, I’ll do a longer run on Saturday and run a few times next week.

Should I decide to sign up, I’ll definitely be taking a laid-back approach to the race and won’t be running with hopes of beating my time at the Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon. I’ll be running to simply enjoy the experience and the course. I really had a great time running in Savannah and since my body is already trained for a half marathon, I am really itching to do this race.

Workout

Today’s workout included a cardio hodgepodge that looked like this:

• 20 min. elliptical
  • 10 min. stair master
  • 15 min. elliptical
  • 5 min. running
  • 5 min. incline walking

I was surprised that running actually felt fine! My leg soreness is dissipating a bit and while I didn’t want to crank out five miles, five minutes at an easy pace felt a-okay.

I rounded out my workout with some ab work before heading home for breakfast.

Today’s breakfast included two fried eggs, mozzarella cheese and Tribe red pepper hummus on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

egg and hummus sandwich 014

egg and hummus sandwich 015

Egg sandwiches are so satisfying on a chilly morning.

The cool weather won’t last for long though… highs in the low 80s today.

I’m crossing my fingers that the cold front that’s predicted to come through Florida on Friday delivers! I love boot-wearin’ weather!

Comments

How exciting to run another marathon! I think you have your heart set on running this race, then you should! You have nothing to loose :)

Your breakfast sandwich looks so yummy! I’m wishing I would have had a breakfast sandwich instead of cereal this morning.

2. Kaella says

You’re a half marathon running machine!! So awesome Julie! Did you decide if you’re running the half in Vegas? Good luck whatever you decide! Have a great day :)

• says

i really hope to be able to, but it’s a financial thing at this point. since that conference fell through, i was counting on some financial help with travel expenses, so i’m not sure about making the trip now because of $$. i’ll keep you posted! i would LOVE to run vegas!

• Kaella says

Aww, that’s too bad! I really want to make Vegas my first half, but the flights right now are really expensive, something I can’t quite justify a month after our wedding. I’m definitely not out just yet though! I’m continuing to train and hoping for a last minute seat sale :) Definitely keep me posted and fingers crossed for both of us!

3. Briana says

Yes run another race! I ran a half the week after my last full marathon and it ended up being a good decision.. I PR’ed! I think my body was itching to run, so I can relate.. once you’re in shape for it, why not keep going?

80 degress? is that normal for Florida in November? the weather is bizarre up here right now, high of 69 in Massachusetts today!

You should definitely run that half!! You’ve caught the race bug! I caught it back in March and have 3 more races this year – a 5K this Sunday, the Philly Marathon on the 20th, and half marathon at Penn State on 12/4!

You should definitely do it! I am running the women’s half as well :) The people that put on the race are so awesome, and it is a cool atmosphere. Guys are allowed to run it, but it is an overwhelmingly female race.

It is worth it for sure :)

I hope you get some cold boot weather and PA gets some more sunshine and less freezing weather! Its so crazy how weather can be so different throughout the country. I hope you have a great half marathon if you decide to do it! So cool Publix is hosting it. I used to live in Jacksonville and loved Publix, I won a coloring contest there!

Mmmmmm egg sandwiches! I am gonna need to go out and get some english muffins because I am craving those lately!

Also I totally get what you mean, being weirded out by not having any trouble running after being sore from, well, running. It’s always when you do OTHER stuff (mostly walking or sitting) that your muscles are killing you!

Cept for squats. Kill yourself doing squats and the next ones you do will most likely also be tough!

Julie — the Women’s Half Marathons are such amazing races. My first half was the Country Music Half Marathon (Rock n’ Roll series) in Nashville, which was a huge, overwhelming race. My second was the Women’s (also in Nashville) and it.was.so.awesome. Running with a bunch of fit, inspired, beautiful women and having people yell your name out (they put it on your bib) as you run? It was just so inspiring.

Do it! You won’t regret it. Plus, there’s so much PINK! :)

9. Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle says

I think you should run it. Why not? You’re already in half marathon shape and I’m sure it’d be great scenery! Tackle it while you still got the running shoes on.

10. Kelly says

Run it! I have run the Women’s Half Marathon in Nashville the past 2 years. It is a really inspiring race and really well put together!

Yay, do another one!! One reason why halfs are better than fulls is that it only takes a few days for the soreness to go away. After I run a full marathon I literally wait 6 days to run again (typically I’m ok to run about 5 miles exactly one week after the race).

I thought maybe you’d be coming to Vegas for the RnR ….?

12. Daniella @ Runner at Heart says

Your breakfast sandwiches always look so delicious I wish I had more time in the morning to make things like this all the time!

I think you should sign up for another half as long as your body feels good and there are no injuries lingering.

i’m in a workout rut! the colder weather has totally turned me off from running (i can’t stand the treadmill) and the other cardio machines just aren’t doing it for me. my workout of choice lately has been power vinyasa yoga. between the heat and the challenging practice, i feel like i’m getting a pretty good workout!

if you feel good, is say go for the half marathon! i’m hoping to squeeze in a half (if not a full) early next year!

Do it! Ya know what – I signed up for a half Saturday through my run club that ran on Sunday. I’m training for a marathon, so I went into it completely relaxed with zero goals or plans. I wanted to just run it to run it since it was free through run club… and I PRed! I think that sometimes with these big races (I just did Nike Womens half and the San Francisco Half) you get so worked up and train hard and over think/plan every last minute of running and training and what you are eating/drinking the day before that your running actually suffers. I had the best time and performed so well after not putting any pressure on myself.

15. Ally says

I say do it. I just ran the Women’s Half in Arizona and it was a blast. One girl actually set a course and series record so you could always try to beat that 😉

16. Nathan Miller says

Get it! Sign up and run for those who cant do to physical issues, do it for those who sit on the couch and wish they could, and do it for yourself!

17. Mary says

If you want to wear your boots, come to Canada. We also have amazing marathons and half marathons. You could run and wear your boots after!!! HaHa . Have a great day.

18. Tracy @ Tracy's Treats says

I think you should take the plunge and just do it! I’m running two half marathons a couple weeks from each other and am excited to do two so close together! Good luck!

19. Annie says

leukemia is a great cause. I’d know, I’ve had it twice :S Make sure your body is up to it before signing up though, I know nothing about running but don’t overdo it hun’

Your breakfast looks yum! Think I’m going to have something like that for dinner 😀

x

It’s so strange to hear about weather in the 80s! If you’re feeling strong, you should definitely do the St Pete race! As long as you don’t push yourself too hard, if you’d enjoy it then you should go for it!

I am so tempted to go for a full marathon now that my body is in half-marathon condition. I think it can be done, but I don’t want to lose all my lovely muscles!

22. Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

You’ve got the marathon bug! I say you go for it, ride the wave for as long as you can! I think it’s amazing that you’re ready to do another half so soon after your last one. You rock :)

Half marathons sound so fun, Julie!! Oh no~you’ve turned into a marathon monster now 😉 haha. And guess what, you got me addicted to Muenster cheese. It’s like, the perfect tang and smoothness!

24. Kailey says

Omg DO IT! I ran the women’s half in scottsdale this past weekend. It was so much fun & I will definitely be running it again next year.

You have inspired me to start training for my first half marathon. I’ve always enjoyed running, but I’m just nervous and don’t know where to begin. Where did you get your training plan? Are there free ones? Thanks for your awesome blog, I love to read!