Batter, Dough, Bread

Wanna know what I’ve had for lunch today?

Batter. Dough. Bread.

My sister took off work and came into town last night for the Friendsgiving party we’re having at our house tomorrow. Our Friendsgiving party is basically a pre-Thanksgiving party with all the traditional Thanksgiving food!

Leslie and I have spent the day meal planning, grocery shopping, baking, cooking, chopping and peeling.

Tearing bread for tomorrow’s stuffing…

friendsgiving 011

(I swear I ate four pieces of this stuff while tearing it into bits.)

Beating butter, sugar and eggs for tunnel of fudge chocolate cake…

friendsgiving 009

(Lots of beater and bowl licking on that one!)

We also tackled the intimidating pumpkin roll.

Apparently you’re supposed to roll up the pumpkin cake in a powdered sugar-covered towel to cool before icing it and rolling it back up.

friendsgiving 007

friendsgiving 010

Let’s hope it eventually looks like this…

pumpkin roll

(Source)

If the cake crumbles when we try to unroll it, I have plans to turn it into pumpkin cake truffles. Plan B!

I also ate a million pecans and a cup of Greek yogurt for some protein. My attempt to be healthy amid all the sugary sampling. Smile

Off to tackle peeling eight pounds of potatoes!

friendsgiving 012

Comments

1. Mallory says

this sounds like such fun! a little “warm up” for your stomach for the big day, right? (like joey tribbiani & his eating potato chips before thanksgiving… ha!)

2. stephanie*s says

I cannot wait to begin baking holiday treats! And that pumpkin roll looks interesting ive never seen that!! I hope it all turns out 🙂

• Jen says

We had a Friendsgiving last weekend! Any excuse for multiple Thanksgiving dinners! 🙂

And that is definitely the way to do the pumpkin roll. I make one every year. They are well worth the hard work!

3. Shephalli says

Sounds so much fun! Hope the pumpkin roll unwraps in one piece. Btw did you realize that November is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month? Strange all the stuff you find on Pinterest.

4. Julia says

This is going to sound extremely nerdy but I just got out of my genetics class and we were talking about how the Russet Burbank potato is the only potato McDonald’s will use for their french fries since they give the perfect-cut length for a french fry LOL.

we are doing the same thing tomorrow! I’m hosting a pot luck and we are calling it ‘Sweatsgiving’ because no sweats = no service! I can’t wait to have this fun, fancy-ish dinner and we are all dressed in sweats 🙂

6. Tori says

My mom makes pumpkin rolls just like that every holiday season! She always uses a towel and although they don’t always turn out perfect, I think they look great 🙂 good luck!!

That sounds like so much fun! I love cooking and baking with my sister! 🙂 You are definitely making the pumpkin roll right! I watched Giada DeLaurentiis make one on tv and she did the exact same thing! I had no clue how to make it before. I definitely want to try making it. It looks so fancy! 🙂 Best of luck to you with the rest of cooking!

What a fun idea! We do something like this right before Christmas- we call it Festivus based on the Seinfeld episode. We invite all our friends over, cook up lots of holiday food, and “share our grievances” which only people who’ve seen that episode would understand!
    Have fun- the preparations look great.

How fun does a Friendsgiving sound?! I’m making the pumpkin roll for Thanksgiving this year! Even with the powdered sugar on the towel, its hard to roll! At least it tastes wonderful no matter how it looks 🙂

I LOOVE this Friendsgiving idea! We are going to my brother’s house for Thanksgiving, and bc he’s not having dinner til 3, it means that we can’t reallly have people over at our house later that night…BUT why not do a totally different day? YAY!! Thanks, Julie!

How fun! I can’t wait for Thanksgiving.
    I’ve been dying to attempt a pumpkin log but have always been so intimidated by it. Definitely let us know how it turns out!

12. Josephine says

If the roll cracks just put frosting on the outside too and add nuts to the frosting – that is what I have done!

Why peel potatoes when you can leave the skin on – less work and more nutrition 🙂

Happy Friendsgiving! Glad you’re getting to spend some QT with your sister.

*Ummmm…..the Pumpkin Roll. Let me just say I tried to conquer it a few weeks ago and my biggest mistake was trying to roll it the first time without the towel. It crackled and although it didn’t look pretty it tasted realllly good.

To my pleasant surprise, my surprisingly taleneted in the kitchen husband made a Pumpkin Roll and it was beautiful and delicious the second time around! 🙂

Check out the story, where I share the recipe and make fun of myself: http://heather-hesington.blogspot.com/2011/11/pumpkin-roll.html

Have a great weekend! 🙂

14. Jen says

Is that a cream cheese filling?! I ‘m always so impressed with pumpkin rolls – I’m sure mine would never get rolled and become a squashed up mess! 🙂

15. caroline says

friendsgiving! we host a friendsgiving as well- 4 years strong in our 700 sq foot SanFran appartment. We average about 40 ppl::70 bottles of wine a year! such a great tradition:)

16. Alison says

Hi Julie!
    Just wondering what kind of pan you used to bake the pumpkin roll batter in – did you use an actual “jelly roll pan” or a cookie sheet?

Thanks!