Eggnog Overnight Oats

Oh my gosh do I have an amazing breakfast to share with you this morning!

eggnog oatmeal 018

Last night after dinner, a package was delivered to our house that included a bottle of eggnog from the wonderful people at Bolthouse Farms.

eggnog oatmeal 008

The eggnog is all natural and has less fat and calories than typical eggnog, yet somehow still tastes as rich and delicious as full-fat eggnog. I’m sold!

After taking a big gulp of the eggnog last night, I had an idea.

Eggnog overnight oats!

eggnog oatmeal 010

Before going to bed I combined the following ingredients in a Tupperware container and let them soak in the fridge overnight:

• 2/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 6 ounces 2 percent Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup eggnog

This morning I added a sliced banana to the mix, poured a bit of almond milk overtop of the oats to make them a little less thick and sprinkled them with nutmeg before digging in.

eggnog oatmeal 015

What a winner! This breakfast tasted like the holidays in a bowl.

I am a little tempted to make another batch right now so I can enjoy them again for lunch.

Workout

Before breakfast, Ryan and I tackled a Friday morning workout that began with 20 minutes on the adaptive motion trainer.

I followed up my little cardio session with an upper body workout that resembled last Friday’s workout

The real excitement happened on our way home from the gym.

We saw a coyote!

coyote

This is actually the second coyote I’ve seen since we moved to Ocala. (I saw my first one on the way to my friend Carrie’s baby shower.)

They are such beautiful animals, but seeing them so close to our house makes me feel even more grateful that nothing happened to Sadie the morning that she went missing and I nearly had a heart attack.

Question of the Morning

• What is the coolest animal you’ve seen in the wild?

Comments

Okay, so I’m totally behind in the blogsphere and haven’t tried overnight oats yet. However, the eggnog oats is something I just can’t resist. That being said, I have some questions about overnight oats.

A) When it’s time to eat them are they best served chilled or can I warm them up in the microwave?
    B) What’s the ratio of liquid to oats?

I think you may have done a post on overnight oats already, but like I said, I’m a little behind in the blogsphere.:)
    I can’t wait to try eggnog oats. Great idea, Julie!

Eggnog overnight oats?! How I want to try them – just need to find dairy-free eggnog now!

Coolest animal(s) I’ve seen in the wild came courtesy of a few trips to Kenya and going on safaris: giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, gazelles, elephants, hippos, and lions. But the coolest/scariest was seeing a puff adder snake – deadliest snake in the world and you definitely do not want to mess around with it!

Wild moose roaming around the Great Salt Lake in Utah was a crazy experience. They walk right next to or in front of your car! Holding a koala was also cool because I’ve heard they can be mean–I bribed him with food the whole time.

But I think the coolest animal I’ve ever seen was the critically endangered Sumantran Rhino. It’s smaller than the normal rhinos and it’s hairy! Very weird but awesome.

Buffalo!! I do not know why but I just think buffalo are the coolest animals. They are ginormous and I think I’m just overwhelmed by God’s creation when I see them. Anyway, our deer lease is in Paducah, TX and there are tons of buffalo out there that I always look forward to seeing!

Ohhh MY Gosh, what a brilliant idea. I love eggnog but because it is so creamy and fatty, I try not to drink much of it and I would never of thought to do overnight oats, but that Boathouse brand looks relatively better for you than the standard eggnog. I must try it. I love holiday treats!

I live in the wilderness! I have seen moose, bears, foxes and wildcats! You always know there is some cool animal on the side of the road, when there are 5 cars pulled over.

Happy Friday

6. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

Once I saw a fox on the golf course (I’d never seen one in the wild before that) and I see raccoons all the the time on my run. The raccoons freak me out because I always envision them jumping at me and clawing me with those razors.

That sounds SO GOOD!! Our grocery story has started stocking Silk Egg Nog and this looks like the perfect way to use it up! :)

I went to college in Maine so saw a LOT of moose – cool when you’re hiking, not cool when you’re driving at night and they almost step out in the road in front of you -AHHH! Absolutely terrifying. The coolest wildlife I’ve seen were probably while I was studying abroad in Costa Rica – monkeys, sloths, craaaazy birds, so cool!

I’ve seen snapping turtles, turkeys, foxes, possums, and deer near my parents house in MA.

The coolest would probably be seeing a moose in New Hampshire. Yeah, not too exciting :-P

Love that oatmeal bowl!! I never really got into eggnog because of how rich it is. I may have to check this product out!

oo yum egg nog oats..sounds great!! coyotes are pretty cool…we have them in arizona..but you definitely dont want them around your cats or small dogs!! we just moved to colorado and we’re seeing deer and elk everywhere its awesome!

Is that a picture of the coyote you actually saw? OMG. I would’ve freaked. I live in Denver and there are coyote warning signs everywhere. I’m terrified!!!!! lol.

But I would love egg nog oats. Where can I find that egg nog? Seriously. I have a hard time dealing with like 180 cals for 1/2 cup!!!

11. Isabel says

While going white water rafting in Colorado, we saw this giant brown bear on the edge of a cliff just sitting on his behind watching all of us crazies in the rafts!

I went to a wildlife safari as a kid and saw all sorts of animals, but I don’t think I’ve seen anything too weird except for a deer that jumped in front of my car once. The car that had been tailgating me sure kept its distance after it almost hit me when I had to slam on my brakes!

I am loving the So Delicious Coconut Egg Nog. It has this slight coconut hint and is sooo good!

13. Merri says

Speaking of Cayotes…my friends husband in Tallahassee found a stray puppy near his neighborhood so he took it in and they kept it for a few days before bringing it to the Vet to ask what to do as far as keeping the pup. The Vet ran tests on the puppy and told him, in fact, he didn’t pick up a stray puppy he picked up a baby cayote!! haha they had to put it back!

14. Tiffany says

Hi Julie! I just want to first say that I am new to following your blog and love all of your posts!

I have a question…did you warm up your oats in the morning or have it cold? I am assuming cold since you had the greek yogurt in it and that just seems like that would get gross quick when heated!

This is too funny… I was actually going to suggest to YOU to try eggnog overnight oats! I made myself some delicious soynogg overnight oats last night and they were divine :)

Wow… 2 coyotes?? I get paranoid I’m going to stumble across one while hiking. Coolest animal I’ve seen in the wild? A shark! In Florida, nonetheless :)

Okay, so I totally live in the suburbs, but I saw a coyote that looked more like a wolf!! In my gated community. 0_0 haaha, it was so scary b/c it was night and I was walking by myself. So I slowwwwly started walking backwards while whispering nice little words. It worked! xD

I’ve never actually had eggnog! I can’t have pasteurized milk or soy milk, but someone told me they’d seen an almond milk eggnog out there – I’m on the hunt! The coolest animal I’ve seen in the wild was a Moose! I saw it when I was in Montana with my family when I was 14. I love moose…

19. Stephanie says

omg that sounds so yummy. Is that egg nog just at food stores like Whole Foods vs a regular grocery store? Would love to try it. I just came upon your website from @Toneitup on twitter and you are just the cutest!! Can’t wait to read all your recipes/ workouts. !!

20. Nathan Miller says

My freshman year of college me and my buddy can you read the whole wall bash river in Indiana in about half way on our trip which was a good three weeks we got up close and personal with the bald eagle eating at part one the coolest things I’ve ever seen

U just reminded me of the incident last night.. I was going out to my backyard last night and when I opened the door, there was this raccoon looking back at me, right at my feet.. Both of us jumped and ran as far away from each other as we could. Kind of a hilarious sight.

I haven tried overnight oats before, but your eggnog recipe is seriously tempting me! ;) Lower calories eggnog?! Ohhhh.. I’m in!

22. Laura@mypurposefullife says

I saw the title of this post this morning but didn’t have time to read it til now. Even still, all day I have bee thinking about eggnog overnight oats and will definitely be having them tomorrow morning. What a great idea! I grew up in the mountains in new mexico so we saw lots of critters: coyotes, fox, bears, porcupines, elk, deer…we can always tell a bear though because our dog mocha goes nuts. We always quickly bring her in when we hear her ” bear bark”!

I saw a coyote in the middle of the city last April during a freak snowstorm. It was beyond surreal. I thought that maybe the world was ending or something….but no. Just Spring snow and a wild urban canine.

24. Kathi says

Saw a leopard after during a safari. Awesome, graceful animal. They are sometimes not seen for six months by the rangers. Can’t wait to try the eggnog breakfast. Sounds yummy

25. Kanoe says

These overnight oats thing look interesting & quite tasty I’ll have to give it a try myself. I love oatmeal so I want to try this. I also wanted to ask you where do you buy chia seeds? Do you buy yours online or can you just buy them at the store? I wanted to add them to my diet because i heard they have wonderful health benefits.

26. gingercat says

So…I keep wondering this and didn’t want to post and ask the question but it is driving me nuts…is your oatmeal warmed up? or is it cold? you say you keep it in the fridge over night, so I am just confused…sorry to ask such silly questions.